Talk

Advanced search

Oddest thing you've put in a stocking

(70 Posts)
Mummyshortlegz Tue 15-Nov-16 09:06:22

My children are 3 and 1 and the eldest has some odd present requests this year. He will be getting a box of cocopops in his stocking this year. If it goes down well it will be a staple part of his stocking each year.

Anyone else put / putting weird things in stockings?

insan1tyscartching Tue 15-Nov-16 09:10:17

I put a shower curtain in ds's last year, it was a perfect match for his bathroom and spotted it when out Christmas shopping so stuffed it in. He was puzzled but happy anyway.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Tue 15-Nov-16 09:14:14

I was trying to keep my family traditions. I did feel a bit weird putting a banana in DS's stocking, but he's never liked satsumas.

Floggingmolly Tue 15-Nov-16 09:50:39

Bacon flavoured toothpaste (for ds1, who claims his aversion to tooth brushing is due to his dislike of mint). it's not

Mummyshortlegz Tue 15-Nov-16 10:01:32

Now that is weird! Is it like dog toothpaste? Even Santa can see through his tooth rushing bluff fgrin

TheCakes Tue 15-Nov-16 10:06:08

DS1 (13) bought DS2 (9) a tin of tomato soup for Xmas last year.
They each get cheese from me in their stocking, and a couple of potatoes, because every time they misbehave, Santa takes a present out and replaces it with a potato. I like to keep them on their toes...

Mummyshortlegz Tue 15-Nov-16 10:09:35

Oh I love that! Mine are too little not to be devastated by the potato just yet, but I'll stick it in my back pocket

Any cheese in particular?

CoffeeChocolateWine Tue 15-Nov-16 10:11:55

Not me but a friend of mine had 3 teenage children (all in their 20s now) and one year she put a bottle of fairy liquid in one stocking, a pair of marigolds in another stocking and a washing up brush in the other stocking! A lovely subtle hint! I'm reserving that idea for when my DC are a bit older!

Last year my DD who was 3 asked Father Christmas for 'Dry Day Prickles'. It took me a long time and a bit of help from Mumsnet to work out that she meant dried apricots. The reason she asked for them was because she'd seen an episode of Danger Mouse where a pink princess character fed her unicorn dried apricots and it farted out rainbows! So I got her some dried apricots, peeled the label off as best I could and made a new label with a picture of the unicorn farting out a rainbow with 'Dry Day Prickles' on the front grin Bless her, she was so delighted with it!

NotCitrus Tue 15-Nov-16 10:12:21

Mine get boxes of cereal that they aren't normally allowed. It also makes sure they eat something other than sweets for breakfast.
Tape measures were a great hit, too.

LightsLoveLaughter Tue 15-Nov-16 10:13:32

I always put in a cereal bar and a carton/bottle of juice.

CoffeeChocolateWine Tue 15-Nov-16 10:14:09

My niece got a bag of her potatoes in her stocking a couple of years ago as she'd had a bad time bahaviour wise (she got lots of presents in there too!) The irony was that she was absolutely delighted with her potatoes!

TheCakes Tue 15-Nov-16 10:15:03

It's always a bit of a laugh, who has the most potatoes. Might be DH this year. He hasn't had any before!
They love that smoked cheese that comes in a sausage shape, so they get that.
The tomato soup was an in joke between the two of them.

rememberthetime Tue 15-Nov-16 10:21:17

I once got a green pepper - when I was a teenager, green peppers were the height of luxury where i grew up and cost a bomb. I liked eating them like apples.

badhotfanny Tue 15-Nov-16 10:21:17

I have also done cereal smile and Blu tak.

YouMakeMyDreams Tue 15-Nov-16 10:23:18

A packet of bread rolls and a packet of crumpets.
Ds1 loves toasted rolls and always complains that when there are rolls in the house he can't eat them all because they are for everyone. A few years ago he asked for a packet of rolls so he could eat them all himself. Ds2 then decided he wanted crumpets too. Dd got Krave cereal that she loves and I won't normally buy.
Now it's become a tradition they get their breakfast in their stocking.

Lemoncurd Tue 15-Nov-16 10:27:56

Tinned custard and rice pudding were some of the most exciting stocking fillers ever in this house! They kept asking for them and have since asked for the same for birthdays and even bought them with their pocket money.

NoCapes Tue 15-Nov-16 10:30:22

Probably a nappy; the baby was only 8 weeks old and the stocking was for the older 2 really, so it had nappies, a carton of formula, dummies etc
Or a cock ring, but that was for ExP's stocking grin

SatsukiKusakabe Tue 15-Nov-16 10:37:06

Mine get variety pack coco pops every year. They only get "small cereal" on holidays and Christmas, think ds would be disappointed if it wasn't there. It's a hassle hiding, eating the rest of the pack though!

The oddest was a jar of peanut butter last year.

This year I think they will get a walkie talkie each.

LightsLoveLaughter Tue 15-Nov-16 10:41:25

I forgot this one till now.......A whole roll of bubble wrap.

LightsLoveLaughter Tue 15-Nov-16 10:43:11

And this year DD has a tin of plasters.

AmeliaPeabody Tue 15-Nov-16 10:45:04

Ouch Pouches (for pointe shoes). I never bothered with fruit, even for tradition sake, years ago I put some in and it was placed in the fruit bowl later on.

BellMcEnd Tue 15-Nov-16 10:49:30

DH got a lime green mankini in his one year what was Santa thinking?!

BikeRunSki Tue 15-Nov-16 10:49:56

Naughty Cereal!
Half a walkie talkie
Genius ideas

mogloveseggs Tue 15-Nov-16 10:54:51

Love the walkie talkie idea!
Weirdest will be love hearts hand soap for dh this year. He's obsessed with it!

SatsukiKusakabe Tue 15-Nov-16 10:55:37

Ooh yes plasters, dd loves them!

Mine also get very excited about the satsumas and eat them first.

One year we did novelty toothbrushes when ds was two and didn't get as many sweets and that was the only thing he said he got for Christmas when people asked grin

I'm not doing novelty pants again after the "why would Santa buy me pants?" confused of two years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now