Talk

Advanced search

Help! What to say when they ask for something totally impossible to get?

(11 Posts)
macnab Mon 14-Nov-16 18:50:31

DD is 6. She is asking for two things (we allow them to ask for two specific things and a surprise) The Owlicorn Hatchimal and Gemma Stone Shoppie Doll. Both of these are proving impossible to get. I really don't want her to be disappointed on Christmas morning, but need to somehow manage her expectations. What do I say to her?! When I've tried to broach it so far she just tells me not to worry that it's Santa who will get it because he's magic and can get anything confused

PhilODox Mon 14-Nov-16 18:58:32

That's why father Christmas only does stockings in many households...

macnab Mon 14-Nov-16 19:00:04

Yes. But that's not something we can start now (we have an older DS too so it just wouldn't work) But thank you!

Soubriquet Mon 14-Nov-16 19:01:04

Keep trying with the hatchimal?

Argos seems to be constantly getting stock in

Emily7708 Mon 14-Nov-16 19:33:55

Could you send her a lovely letter from Santa now saying that she has been a really good girl this year but the elves might not be able to make enough Hatchimals/Shoppies before Christmas for everyone so could she please choose another two items just in case? Maybe he will give her an extra surprise if she agrees?

macnab Mon 14-Nov-16 20:12:17

Thanks, the letter back from Santa is a good idea. We've not actually sent the letters off yet (allowing time for them to change their minds!) so when we've done that I'll send a letter back.

PhilODox Mon 14-Nov-16 20:37:25

At least she's asked for things that actually exist... both my children have asked at various times for things to theyve just made up out of their heads!

traviata Mon 14-Nov-16 23:32:26

I saw a report about Hatchimals today which basically said the manufacturer has been caught out by demand, but don't panic, more will be coming every week from now to the end of the year. Keep your nerve!

memyselfandaye Mon 14-Nov-16 23:41:45

People were waiting at toys r us at 9am this morning while the delivery lorry was unloading, waiting to see if those Hatchimals were on board.

I think all of the staff went to unload and left one pissed off bloke manning the tills.

I really wanted to hang around to see if it kicked off if there was'nt any, but I was on a parking metre. grin

macnab Tue 15-Nov-16 08:27:17

Ha! That made me laugh memyselfandaye

I won't give up hope yet, and will continue to remind her of how busy it is for Santa and how many millions of other children ask for the same thing...

Emily7708 Tue 15-Nov-16 08:55:51

Don't be tempted to spend too much on Hatchimals, my friend's daughter got one for her birthday in October and only played with it a few times. I saw it last night - it's a really rubbish toy. Friend is selling it "hatched" on eBay!

Found this letter online, you could use it and then buy the toy cheap on Boxing Day!

www.santaprintables.com/preview/Present_Will_Be_Late

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now