Talk

Advanced search

Does this sound like a shit present?

(13 Posts)
3rdrockfromthesun Sun 13-Nov-16 21:04:30

Honestly does this sound bad?

I normally get my two older cousins a present at Christmas (wine/biscuits etc) and was thinking about giving them a box of biscuits and one of those hyacinth that you put in a glass vase and grows. Their children get something each around the £5 mark.

What do you think? Would you hate this if you got it?

mogloveseggs Sun 13-Nov-16 21:07:00

I think it's lovely. I do token presents for my cousins too and last year the boxes of posh truffles in aldi (about £1.99) went down really well. There were coffee, chocolate and champagne ones I think.

NoCapes Sun 13-Nov-16 21:08:36

I really wouldn't want a box of biscuits as a present

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Sun 13-Nov-16 21:11:44

Personally I wouldn't be offended but I wouldn't think much thought had gone into it either and for me it's all about the though (drives my husband round the bend grin )

TheoriginalLEM Sun 13-Nov-16 21:14:59

i can't stand the smell of hyacinths sad

FusionChefGeoff Sun 13-Nov-16 21:23:11

Definitely swap biscuits for chocolate!

recklessgran Sun 13-Nov-16 21:29:20

Sorry but I wouldn't be thrilled with biscuits either. House stacked out with things like that at Christmastime. [Sorry - that sounds so ungrateful doesn't it?] Would honestly prefer a nice perfumed candle or fluffy socks.Would love the hyacinth though. M & S have a range of those - amaryllis and I think the little dafs too.

RoganJosh Sun 13-Nov-16 21:32:10

I'd like it! I don't need any more bits around the house so anything to keep just goes straight to charity unless it's the odd thing I really needed.

Redcrayons Sun 13-Nov-16 21:33:20

I'd like it.
I can put away a lot of biscuits though.

cece Sun 13-Nov-16 21:37:22

I don't eat biscuits and I would probably forget about the plant so it
wouldn't grow properly,.

I' rather have a scented candle or some nice socks.

anyoldname76 Sun 13-Nov-16 22:11:57

if they like that sort of thing then it would be a good present for them. for me, i kill any flowers (not on purpose grin ) and we have tons of sweet stuff in the house, so i would rather have something else.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sun 13-Nov-16 22:17:46

Do they have pets? Or young children? A hyacinth would go over within minutes in this house grin

I'd happily eat the biscuits though - as long as they're not ginger. Or coconut. Or hob-nobby 'cause they make me cough.... hmmm, biscuits might not be a good move either!

Fluffy socks would be a great idea though.

<adds 'fluffy socks' to own Xmas List>

3rdrockfromthesun Mon 14-Nov-16 12:55:35

Thanks for the help. I am going to swap the biscuits for Chocolates and will ponder the other part x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now