Talk

Advanced search

Pokemon. Help!

(15 Posts)
recklessgran Sun 13-Nov-16 20:45:27

Sorry but have no idea about this Pokemon craze. I need to buy for twins aged 10, a boy and a girl, quite mature and their 8 year old brother. All I know is that they are Pokemon mad but don't really have anything Pokemon related so far.Budget is in the region of £20 each. All I've been told is that anything Pokemon related would be great. TIA.

ButtonLoon Sun 13-Nov-16 20:49:19

Do they want cards? (Trading them is a big rage at school.) A nice big pack is £11 at Argos, or in a collector's tin for £14.

Actually Argos seem to have loads of stuff now that they didn't have a month ago (toys, clothing, etc!), other retailers are available!

FancyPuffin Sun 13-Nov-16 20:50:55

I got this This for my Pokemon mad dd last year and she still loves it now.

Pokemon cards or plushes are a good bet as well do avoid the knock off ones though (eBay cheap and from China) as they rip easily and the quality is awful.

FancyPuffin Sun 13-Nov-16 20:51:56

Primark also have some lovely Pokemon clothing which is cheap but good value.

AtSea1979 Sun 13-Nov-16 20:53:06

I second that tin of trading cards

123bananas Sun 13-Nov-16 20:53:42

Cards.
Pokemon figures from ebay.
Pokemon cuddly toys maybe.
Pokemon bag.
Pokemon clothing.
Pokemon annual or a-z.
If they play nintendo ds you can get older Pokemon ds games for reasonble prices on ebay. They can take Pokemon from older games into the newer X and Y games onwards.

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Sun 13-Nov-16 21:01:25

There are nice little tins, but check they don't have them already, as you only need one. They are cheaper at Argos but you can choose which tin you get at e.g. Waterstones. www.argos.co.uk/product/3907980 Argos, you get what you get.

Plushes are fun.

There are also some e.g. Pikachu boxes. These are great.www.argos.co.uk/product/5789780 My son got his from Waterstones to make sure he got the Pikachu set.

WHSmiths have some posters in atm £4/£5.

I just did an Amazon search for you but had to close the page as I've already bought enough for this Christmas and it's only November. There was this really cute Pikachu plush <cough>.

I have a ten year old. Can you tell?

recklessgran Sun 13-Nov-16 21:24:47

Thanks everyone. I think I get it now. So, cards are the way to go? I like the look of the tins but OOS at Argos everywhere around here.Thought I could get those [three different tins] and add something else Pokemon but different for each one.
Thanks for the Waterstones tip off - will try there. Just one thing - is Pikachu as mentioned above the most popular then? I take it there are numerous characters from what I can see. So, which are the "main" ones if you see what I mean. Thank you - I'm definitely showing my age I think!

jellyandsoup Sun 13-Nov-16 21:28:38

The book linked to above is like my son's bible! Def the best pokemon thing we have he loves his cards too and has a picachu cuddly too

tabulahrasa Sun 13-Nov-16 21:29:09

Sorry, but, I'm giggling a bit at the new Pokemon phase idea...they've been around for 20 yrs grin

Cards are good if they'll play with them, if they've suddenly become interested after Pokemon go was released that may not and then you'd be better just getting general merchandise, toys, bags, that sort of thing.

Yes Pikachu is the most popular, after that it kind of varies which ones are their favourites.

recklessgran Sun 13-Nov-16 21:42:14

I had heard of Pokemon of course and I think you're right that their interest stems from the Pokemon Go thing. So, I should go with the merchandise rather than the cards then from what you're saying. Thanks for clarifying.

tabulahrasa Sun 13-Nov-16 21:49:37

They might collect the cards and play with them, but it's a bit more of a gamble than just general stuff if they've only just got into the Nintendo game rather than the whole lot.

MummyIsAFreeElf Mon 14-Nov-16 02:18:06

Amazon has loads of Pokemon related books

Ali express (aliexpress.com) loads of the small figures pretty cheap. They are coming from china so quality might not be that great. I've bought some last year for a friend who is obsessed. (He has 2 Pokemon tattoos)
Forbidden Planet sells a lot of Pokemon related items (https://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/index.php?main_page=site_search&s=pokemon&zenid=g1r0av5c24c9f8mb4pt5ukve11)

I don't know if the main characters are the same now as what they used to be but I know pikachu squirtle charmander and bulbasuar where very popular when Pokemon first came out, but there were only 150 Pokemon then. Now there's over 700 (according to my 9 yr old cousin)
Pokemon cards are always a great go to
Hope some of this helps

Lovemusic33 Mon 14-Nov-16 10:08:49

Dd(13) has been collecting Pokemon for years but the new Pokemon go game has made it much more popular, I have found it easier to find merchandise this year. Dd has 1000's of cards and I hate buying them as I feel they are far too expensive for what they are, the tins don't contain that many cards and cost a small fortune. We have bought quite a bit from eBay and Amazon from Japan and haven't had any problems. Primark has a few bits in but they seem to be adult size clothing, I did get Dd a hoody which would be fine for a boy, the woman's clothing goes down to a size 4 so would fit a child. Toys r us often have figures and pokeball toys, we buy quite a bit from there ( when Dd has birthday/Christmas money ).

HandbagCrab Mon 14-Nov-16 10:14:42

Primark have pikachu onesies for children and adults, t shirts, nightwear and pokemon bedding.

Build a bear do pikachus and eevees but they're always sold out when I go in!

Game had some stuff but it was £££. Argos was sold out of stuff when I've tried to buy cuddly toys.

If they play pokemon go you could get them a iTunes voucher/ google play voucher to spend on in game stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now