Talk

Advanced search

Gift ideas for AMAZING parents.

(17 Posts)
Feedmewine22 Sat 12-Nov-16 17:12:08

My mum and dad are amazing, they have my DD (16 months) and my nephew (2.5) 3 days a week, pick them both up and drop them home. They ask nothing in return, as they say that spending time with their DGC's is payment enough. I've tried to provide food and nappies but my mum says she has it all and doesn't accept it.

Me and my DB (nephew's Dad) want to do something lovely for them for Christmas, but it's really hard to think of anything to get for them.

They are fairly comfortably off so buy themselves anything they want and never want us to spend anything on them which makes them really hard to buy for.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Something that says "you are awesome and we appreciate everything you do for is so much!" Without being overly flashy/expensive?

Thanks!!

PurpleDaisies Sat 12-Nov-16 17:13:52

Could you make them a photo album? Or book something like theatre tickets/meal somewhere lovely etc?

Chelazla Sat 12-Nov-16 17:56:15

I think a weekend away would be lovely x

lilydaisyrose Sat 12-Nov-16 17:57:20

A mini break!

nancy75 Sat 12-Nov-16 18:01:12

Can you give us a rough guide to how much you would like to spend?

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Sat 12-Nov-16 18:06:01

Came on to say break away, maybe theatre break, or spa break. Naice luxury hamper, cinema passes, food or flowers subscription.

Also have they got room for three extra kids for a day a week? wink God loves a trier

Feedmewine22 Sat 12-Nov-16 18:37:57

I want to spend loads haha, but they won't feel comfortable with expensive gifts. Some lovely ideas though. The photo album will be lovely. We might do that from the kids and get the to 'help' and then get something like a theatre break from us.

My bro just called and suggested that we host Boxing Day and not let them lift a finger, which we will also do. He "thought it would be nicer at my house though" haha how to offer something really nice, but put all the work on me!!

Feedmewine22 Sat 12-Nov-16 18:40:35

And I could ask smile thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter.

daisygirlmac Sat 12-Nov-16 18:48:50

Would they like it if you did one of those family photo shoots? We did that plus booked a private dining room for the entire tribe for my grandma's birthday earlier in the year and she was made up to have all the pics and the fuss

Heirhelp Sat 12-Nov-16 18:50:30

Tell your brother that you will provide the space if he buys the food. What about a professional photos of the grand kids?

Purpleprickles Sat 12-Nov-16 18:54:11

We booked my Dad for his 65th (and Mum to go too) onto the Belmond Pullman train for a round trip around the North of England with a posh meal included. They haven't been yet but it has really good reviews. It is something they would never do themselves but they like a train trip and enjoy good food grin They do trips in the South as well.

redexpat Sat 12-Nov-16 21:54:34

I came onto suggest:
- photobook
- photo calendar
- photo shoot whole family
- family day out - panto tickets? A day out with Thomas the tank engine?
- kids could decorate mugs or plates or something at a pottery place.

For them to experience alone:
- hot air balloon ride
- murder mystery dinner if that's their cup of tea
- tickets to the theatre

LadyMaryofDownt0n Sat 12-Nov-16 23:04:49

Sounds like my lot. We usually get them:

A mini/spa break
Wine tasting evening
Limited edition of something they want
Expensive handbag/clothes
Gift voucher for a fancy hotel
An experience of some sort.
Tickets to a show with transport.
Lots of drink!

perditalost Sat 12-Nov-16 23:16:52

Sorry but I cannot imagine anyone wanting photos of grandchildren as a present or a photo shoot. The will have dozens of snaps of their grandchildren. An activity to do with family that they already child mind is also not really a gift for them.

Think of them as people rather than as grandparents.

That said. I am pretty well off. I can buy anything I want. I would rather that my children kept their money and used it for something that they needed. I honestly cannot think of a single thing that I want or need.

Do they drink alcohol?

SheldonCRules Sun 13-Nov-16 00:27:16

I'd avoid photo gifts too, never seen the appeal but people seem to think they are the perfect gift for some reason.

I'd book a weekend away with something they wouldn't do themselves. Restaurant vouchers are good too.

Casablanca78 Sun 13-Nov-16 05:27:32

Same as purpleprickles - we booked them the Pullman day trip from buyagift. Went from London Victoria to Canterbury and included brunch (with fizz!) and afternoon tea on the return - they loved it! Said the service was impeccable and were really well looked after.

Casablanca78 Sun 13-Nov-16 05:28:58

Oh and think there's a code floating around for 25% off from buyagift so you'd save about £100 from buying it direct on the orient express website

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now