Talk

Advanced search

Pokemon - do I want to go there?

(18 Posts)
MissOnomer Fri 11-Nov-16 17:36:10

My DS (age 8) has started getting interested in Pokemon. I started looking at buying the trading cards on line but I haven't a clue what I'm looking at - it's all very expensive gibberish to me! I'm a bit scared of starting some kind of hobby that will lead to wanting a 3DS or a wiiU and I really don't want to start all that. I also don't want him using my phone for PokemonGo. I am probably an old square miserable bugger. Bah.

I would like to get him some small plastic minifigures but the ones on Amazon had shite reviews. Anyone know where I can buy some that actually look like Pokemon? Also some trading cards - but which ones? Or should I stay away from this whole nightmare and buy him some worthy blonde wood toy?

dementedpixie Fri 11-Nov-16 17:37:49

You could get one of the tins - has cards in it plus can act as storage. You can get some nice plush pokemon toys too

dementedpixie Fri 11-Nov-16 17:39:36

www.chaoscards.co.uk/pokemon-c11/gift-tins-pokemon-c16 - the site I use for cards,tins, etc

SavoyCabbage Fri 11-Nov-16 17:41:36

The card game is actually really, really good. And when you see your dc playing it you can feel all worthy as they aren't on screens.

SisterViktorine Fri 11-Nov-16 17:42:04

Do you think looking at pokemon will lower his IQ or hinder the development of his dinner party conversation? Why the sneery tone about it?

Why not just but the annual and a pokemon guide book? Maybe you could even risk a DVD?? Having a few cards is a bit useless on it's own and there's not much point buying figures/ toys until he's picked out a couple of favourites.

dementedpixie Fri 11-Nov-16 17:46:55

Ds and I play pokemon go together, doesn't seem to have dulled either of our intellects! Nothing wrong with console games either (new pokemon games due out for 3ds this month)

dementedpixie Fri 11-Nov-16 17:47:42

I get ds the calendar each year too

Toffeelatteplease Fri 11-Nov-16 17:52:59

With two (and ahem me blush ) totally into pokemon card game I can say it's a wonderful mixed blessing. The card game has been fantastic socially and friendship groupwise for both my two but it is incredibly collectable and you can never have too many cards. It has helped DS (SN) understand money (pocket money was pointless before as there really wasn't anything he wanted) but and (this is the downside) it is a bit of a money sink, there is always another interesting deck to be built. it has however helped him ginormously with his concentration and 10x tables.

The trading cards are actually a pretty awesome 2 player game. Our local games shop holds a "pokemon league" where we (now all) go play and they are great at teaching the kids how to play. If you are starting out the battle arena packs like here one of the best ways because they have two playable decks that work well against each other.

If you can stick at the toys it's obviously cheaper, but I think you miss out on a lot of the fun and value

MissOnomer Fri 11-Nov-16 17:57:41

I'm only being grumpy because we have an Xbox already with Lego dimensions toys and Skylanders and Minecraft everywhere. He has a Hudl.i can't really afford to start something that will involve another gaming platform. I'm not sneering at gaming at all, sorry if it came across that way.
I quite like the card game idea - it's just there are so many options - it's knowing what to buy that won't be a disappointment because I'm clueless and square. I know he'd love little plastic toys - he has some gojos that were passed down and we pretend they are Pokemon - I'd just like him to have real (ok not actually real) actual figures to play with.

Toffeelatteplease Fri 11-Nov-16 18:00:33

Speaking as someone who did start off with one of the (very beautiful) tins, i wouldn't buy them first (unless you are buying just for the pretty cards and not going to learn the game). Alot of the cards in the booster packs in the tins are pretty useless playability wise and you won't really have a great idea of the cards that do have value unless you are playing the game already. I'd pick something you can actually play the game with

Purplefrogshoes Fri 11-Nov-16 18:04:10

Dd is 8 and loves Pokemon. She has a really good Pokemon book from amazon it was £5 and I've bought her some figures from argos and some other bits from toysrus. She hasn't played any Pokemon games but she watches the cartoon on Netflix

Toffeelatteplease Fri 11-Nov-16 18:04:19

these two are a slightly cheaper and simpler starter option as well.

MissOnomer Fri 11-Nov-16 18:07:06

Thanks Toffeeso a battle arena pack sounds cool. So does playing in a Pokemon league, I think DS would LOVE that.

SisterViktorine Fri 11-Nov-16 18:11:18

Haha- yes, sorry, I thought you had your DS trapped in his skandi-chic bedroom reading Dickens.

I can totally understand you not wanting to branch into another quagmire of expensive collectibles.

MissOnomer Fri 11-Nov-16 18:19:05

Sister it did sound like that when I read it back blush. Nope, awash with plastic and screens here.
I'm having a panic because everything Pokemon related seems to be Out Of Stock. Without help, I am going to be that clueless parent that gives him something crap that I always swore I wouldn't turn into.

MissOnomer Fri 11-Nov-16 18:23:17

Toffee it's interesting that you say it's helped with concentration. School is talking about referring DS to an Ed Psych for problems concentrating particularly in a group learning situations.

Toffeelatteplease Fri 11-Nov-16 18:38:02

DS has quite a few issues, working memory, concentration and impulse control included. We have always been into games at home but chess and then Pokemon have both definitely helped. I do sit with him at league although nowadays I often help his opponents as much as him!!

MissOnomer Fri 11-Nov-16 19:02:42

Thanks toffee. I'm fully on board! The battle cards will be ordered!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now