Wrapping Dilemma!

(16 Posts)
HairsprayBabe Thu 10-Nov-16 12:22:25

Hi all,
I have bought my mothers main Christmas gift, see attached photo, it is a vintage coffee set. It did not come in a box just wrapped in newspaper.

How the hell do I wrap this?! Any suggestions gratefully received!

CarrotVan Thu 10-Nov-16 12:36:06

Wrap all the pieces in bubble wrap and tissue and put it all in a gift box.

PJBanana Thu 10-Nov-16 12:37:08

I would probably try to find a large enough box and some bubble wrap smile

You can then buy a nice bow to go on top without having to move the box around to wrap it properly too.

elQuintoConyo Thu 10-Nov-16 12:40:49

Great present!

Yrs, find a big big box, bubble-wrap the pieces individually and then wrap the box.

Do you want to also gift a box to actually store them in? Or does your mum have a glass cabinet or kitchen space to store it unboxed?

HairsprayBabe Thu 10-Nov-16 12:41:04

I am concerned it is going to get shaken about before it is opened so I was going to try and find some festive packing peanuts to protect the pieces, plus tissue and bubble wrap!

HairsprayBabe Thu 10-Nov-16 12:52:23

elQuinto
It will most likely go on the welsh dresser! but I'd like a nice box incase she would rather store it and use it than have it for display

Imfinehowareyou Thu 10-Nov-16 13:09:23

festive packing peanuts??? Surely the regular white ones will do - snow!

HairsprayBabe Thu 10-Nov-16 13:32:24

Imfine I was wondering if you could get sparkly ones just to make it a bit more christmassy! fgrin

anyoldname76 Thu 10-Nov-16 14:05:10

just use white peanuts and put snowman faces on odd ones grin

AmyAmoeba Thu 10-Nov-16 20:28:01

wrap most of the pieces securely in bubble wrap and lay them in the box. Then position a few key pieces on display on top of them. Add packing peanuts if necessary, and a sheet of bubble wrap on top. Then when she opens the box and lifts the sheet of bubble wrap she can see what it is without having to unwrap loads of bubble wrap. Does that make sense?

You could cover the bottom layer with a few sheets of tissue paper in a complementary colour and put your display pieces on top of that nestling into the packing peanuts but hiding them too. Or you could use a square of plush velvet instead.

TK maxx can be quite good for finding good quality deep cardboard boxes.

fitzbilly Thu 10-Nov-16 20:30:32

What amoeba said.

Plus if you want it to be festive just add loud of glitter to the box with the Bible wrap and peanutsgrin

fitzbilly Thu 10-Nov-16 20:31:08

It's a beautiful set by the way!

KC225 Thu 10-Nov-16 20:47:51

As much as bubble wrap would protect, it's just not that wow moment. How about printing off an A4 colour version of photograph of you have there and taping it to the inside of the box. Like a box of chocolates. Get some fabric, festive. Red or purple (check remnants or cheap table clothes etc) put that in the box first and then wrap each piece in some tissue paper. Again something fesitive red or purples. It's such a lovely idea survey you want the impact of surprise rather than her
being confronted with a box of bubble wrap.

Do update after Christmas to tell us her reaction

ja9r Thu 10-Nov-16 21:17:45

That is beautiful!

HairsprayBabe Fri 11-Nov-16 11:05:36

KC that was my issue with bubble wrap, I love a WOW! moment when people are opening gifts, and I feel that a load of bubble wrap would get in the way of that!

Thank you fitz and ja9r I am pairing it with a bag of coffee beans, some biscotti and a few other coffeeish bits and pieces!

Thanks for the TKMaxx tip Amy

FlamingoSnuffle Fri 11-Nov-16 12:15:42

One display box for the wow factor then the rest just in a normal box all wrapped up.

I did a miniature wine set as a gift. I used scrunched up newspaper to make dividers between the bottles, then put sheets of tissue paper on top of that so it went over the dividers and down into the pockets where the wine would sit.

The box was lidded so it was decorated, and when you lifted the lid all the wines were displayed.

We handed this directly to the person rather than have someone not knowing the contents handle it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now