Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Lava lamps

(20 Posts)
RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Thu 10-Nov-16 11:16:47

I think DD (8) would be impressed with a lava lamp but by god they are terrible tasteless tut.

Has anyone ever come across something a bit less garish than the crap on Amazon?

Thanks so much!!

Maryann1975 Thu 10-Nov-16 11:28:04

I'm going to follow this. My dd has asked for one and all I can think of is 'waste of money'. I remember going on and on about having one asa teenager, getting one and it doing nothing. Dd doesn't spend enough time in her room to ever put it on so I have no idea why this is top of her list tbh.

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Thu 10-Nov-16 11:34:17

Are you me? grin My situation exactly!!

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Thu 10-Nov-16 11:36:29

Ours got broken very easily.

I've now gone for a salt rock lamp as they apparently have healing qualities (I'm an advertiser's dream).

Lava lamps took an age to warm up too.

hummingbird100 Thu 10-Nov-16 11:39:04

One of my best friends got a Mathmos lava lamp in about 1997 for her birthday. They seemed to have a resurgence then at my school! I was beyond jealous and I've wanted one ever since! I think Mathmos was the brand that were meant to be the original one? I think they're fab in all their garishness grin

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Thu 10-Nov-16 11:51:42

oooh salt rock lamps ... off to google right now

Wormwoodm Thu 10-Nov-16 12:16:40

I got a mathmos rocket in the mid 90s and thought it was the best thing ever. Funnily enough when stashing Christmas gifts I found it in the loft a few weeks ago and showed my 6yo son. He loves it and watches it whilst falling asleep. It's also lasted 20 years so doing pretty well.

Davros Thu 10-Nov-16 13:47:19

Mathmos is the best and they do projectors and other things. Great customer service, spares available. Not cheap

ScoobyDoosTinklyLaugh Thu 10-Nov-16 13:55:32

I love lava lamps, so I think you should definitely get one grin

IAmAPaleontologist Thu 10-Nov-16 13:59:46

I love lava lamps! I had one as a teen and I spent ages watching it when I was in bed. I kind of want one now. Ds1 wants one when he gets his new bedroom (renovation project).

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Thu 10-Nov-16 14:29:32

Argh, now I've looked at the salt rock ones and am (no doubt gullibly) impressed by the health claims and want to get one ... sadly though I think she'd like a lava lamp more.

Looks like Mathmos is the best though (I used to have a greeny-blue one myself but DD is probably more likely to be impressed by purply-pink).

thanks all for your help!

Bobsmum02 Thu 10-Nov-16 18:23:42

What about this from Smiggle, I picked one up yesterday after DD had made non-commital remarks about possibly wanting a lava lamp type light. They are on offer at the mo so only £10 if you spend £20 on other items.

www.smiggle.co.uk/shop/en/smiggleuk/cosmic-swirl-mega-light?cm_vc=PDPFP1

Davros Thu 10-Nov-16 18:30:20

If you get Mathmos you can change the oil bottle to a different colour whenever you want

Soupandasandwich Thu 10-Nov-16 18:58:37

DC loves these and has several different colour combinations. Whilst the purple liquid/orangey wax was gorgeous, over time (a couple of years) the liquid has changed colour to virtually clear and the wax looks yellow. Something to do with the way different colours absorb light I am told. Anyway, I would probably steer clear of that particular colour combination for that reason. Otherwise, I confess, I do find them somewhat hypnotic and relaxing.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 10-Nov-16 19:12:33

We've got an orange Mathmos, about 20 years old and still working perfectly but we can't seem to find a good spot for it where the cats can't knock it over but we can watch it. So when it's on it's tucked away in a room we don't often sit in. There never seems to be a plug free for it either, so much other electronic stuff cluttering up the house. I love it though.

FormerlyCatherineDeB Thu 10-Nov-16 19:48:31

Definitely Mathmos - DD's is nearly four years old and comes on in her room every evening for about five hours on a timer.

I bought myself one last month to cheer myself up when I felt ill - in silver with clear/plum wax and it is very lovely.

They have brought back the original copper lamps.

I love how you can change the colour if you want to by buying another bottle.

unicornsarenotjustforchristmas Thu 10-Nov-16 20:15:50

I had a glitter lamp and dsis had a lava lamp when we were teens. I thought they were awesome. I keep trying to convince dd she wants one but it isn't happening.
Btw, John Lewis sell them. I check them out every time I visit

gunting Thu 10-Nov-16 20:35:40

We've got one of the tasteless tat ones off Amazon in our living room! I love it, it's kitsch---- wink

Ours has lasted us a good year and DS has knocked it over several times so I have no complaints.

Hatade16 Thu 10-Nov-16 20:59:25

I want one as a sensory light for 4 month old dd

Ceaser1981 Sat 12-Nov-16 19:35:25

I have a chrome base, clear fluid and silver wax one in my living room, i find it quite calming to watch it 😁 got it from menkind or something like that shop last christmas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now