Talk

Advanced search

5 year old girl ideas?

(16 Posts)
tryhard Wed 09-Nov-16 21:40:22

What are you getting your DD if she's a similar age?

DD1's big present is a bike but other than that I'm stuck...she likes small world play but for some reason doesn't play with her wooden dolls house, finds Lego Juniors & proper Lego too fiddly & frustrating. She's v crafty, doesn't really play with dolls, loves animals.

I've thought about sylvanian families or playmobil but don't really know where to start. Any ideas?!

IWantBlueHair Wed 09-Nov-16 21:43:43

My DD was similar at this age. Does she like dressing up in fancy dress? Has she any furreal pets, you could try those if she is an animal lover? What arts and crafts sets does she have? Mine liked (and still does) anything that's messy and glittery. grin

Interestingangelfish Wed 09-Nov-16 21:50:13

My dd is similar - prefers animals to dolls, but plays with them in an anthropomorphic way. I've got her:

A couple of Sylvanian Family sets (one was second hand). Think it is a shop and a van.
A My Little Pony she hadn't got yet (she likes these).
A cuddly prairie dog (her current favourite animal)
Some DVDs - Jungle Book, Lion King and a My a Little Pony one.
A paper weight (she collects them - weird).
Some more eggs for her sea-monkeys tank (they all died).

Think that is it.

tryhard Wed 09-Nov-16 21:57:58

Yes anything glittery and sparkly she loves 😱

What are sea monkeys?! I'm intrigued!

Haven't looked at the furreal stuff, that sounds good. She's the same, the loves animals but will anthropomorphicise them (i.e. Set them all up in a 'school' etc)

PassTheMead Thu 10-Nov-16 14:35:03

DD5 is getting

Furreal monkey
Lottie doll
princess dress
sylvanian family bakery and hedgehog family
unicorn things

Toys R Us have a sylvanian promotion at the moment, spend £50 and get a free saloon car, which is worth £20 so pretty good

ohfourfoxache Thu 10-Nov-16 14:37:07

Fairy garden?

www.amazon.co.uk/My-Fairy-Garden/dp/B00JSLSYXW

OverScentedFanjo Thu 10-Nov-16 14:39:27

Playmobil? They have lots of animals.

LadyMetroland Thu 10-Nov-16 20:04:52

My 5 yr old loves playmobil, especially the domestic ones. She does Lego friends too. This year I've bought her an etchasketch, an atlas and a second hand 'big' scooter. Plus stocking of course.

Xmasfairy86 Thu 10-Nov-16 20:20:43

Puzzles! My 5 year old and me love them!

Xmasfairy86 Thu 10-Nov-16 20:22:24

How about something like animal rescue?

BathshebaDarkstone Thu 10-Nov-16 20:25:10

DD 9 says something rainbowy.

CatThiefKeith Thu 10-Nov-16 21:12:06

Dd is five and is getting a scooter, cheap version of Heeleys, and a pony sponsorship for a sanctuary she can visit to feed groom and even ride (with supervision obviously)

If you are near Essex the last one is £25 per year with unlimited visiting.

bumptittybump Thu 10-Nov-16 21:21:05

Ooh this is useful. We're not getting our 5 yo twins a 'big' pressie as had bikes recently for their birthday and last year they liked all the little stocking filler things best anyway. So far on my list - a dressing up costume, sparkly hair things, little notelets/paper and envelopes (they like 'writing' to each other at the moment), pens, an audio book, a 'information' book, a story book, a DVD, teddies that warm up in the microwave, umbrellas, finger puppets.

I'm saving up actual toys for when grandparents/aunts/uncles ask for ideas so things around £10-15, but that's where I'm getting stuck. So far have thought of spirographs, toy walkie talkies, Disney princess dolls. Any ideas for suitable games? They like snakes and ladders at the moment.

Interestingangelfish Fri 11-Nov-16 00:05:27

Sea monkeys are these tiny, aquatic prawn-type creatures. You can buy (for very little money) an aquarium set for them, which includes the small aquarium for them, the eggs and some food.
Basically you put the water in, then follow the instructions re the eggs. They hatch, and live for quite a long time. Thereafter you can just buy the eggs and food. Dd seemed to quite enjoy having them the first time so hopefully will again!

SoMuchToBits Fri 11-Nov-16 08:24:06

The Playmobil zoo looks great, and you can buy lots of smaller add on sets with extra animals for it.
www.playmobil.co.uk/onlineshop/products/city-life?prefn1=subCategory&srule=Topseller&prefv1=zoo&content=false

attheendoftheday Fri 11-Nov-16 09:36:56

Our 5yo is getting:
Toy shop (joint present with sister)
Playmobil farm stuff (joint with sister)
Big scooter
Furreal dog
Superhero early reader books
Flik Flak watch
Fairy post office set
PJ Masks cuddlies
Schleich fairy figures

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now