Talk

Advanced search

'Pimping' crackers

(6 Posts)
civilfawlty Wed 09-Nov-16 17:54:28

I don't want to buy expensive crackers, because the stuff is still tat. But I want them to look pretty. Has anyone ever covered their crackers with any success, and if so, any tips please?

LBOCS2 Wed 09-Nov-16 21:56:01

Why not buy cheap crackers that you like the look of, and replace the innards? That's what I do each year, it's much easier than decorating them from scratch which is fiddly and annoying.

Mindtrope Wed 09-Nov-16 22:04:53

I do that too. Some beautiful crackers are cheap but full of tat, I tease them open and put nice little gifts inside.

civilfawlty Thu 10-Nov-16 02:20:01

I'm not worried about the insides being tat, I just want them to look pretty!

AmyAmoeba Thu 10-Nov-16 03:56:56

I haven't done it but what I'm planning is to buy a couple of sheets of luxurious wrapping paper - flocked with a kind of brocade look, though I haven't found the right one yet. Then I'll cut it into strips and cover the three parts of a plain silver cracker separately. I also haven't found plain silver crackers yet. I have some craft scissors so I'll probably use those to cut the strips to give them a pretty edge. Then I'll hot glue a thick satin ribbon around the middle, or a strip of lace and add a craft jewel embellishment to finish. Obviously this is highly unlikely to actually happen.
I think it would be better not to cover the part that tears or it could be a real struggle to open them.
I'm not convinced it wouldn't be more sensible and a lot cheaper to buy nicer crackers in the first place hmm but I love faffing about with this sort of nonsense.

ShesAStar Thu 10-Nov-16 16:39:46

Waitrose crackers are half price at the moment. I've bought the fill your own ones which are plain and boring but I'm going to glam them up by sticking the eye of a peacock's feather onto the top of each one. They were £2.50 for a box of six and come with bangers, hats and moto.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now