Talk

Advanced search

Good christmas book for toddler

(28 Posts)
RegencyRomanceReader Mon 07-Nov-16 21:43:27

I want to do a book adventure calander for DS2. He loves books and I think will really enjoying unwrapping a different bedtime story each day. I plan to mainly wrap books we already have partly because we have no money but also he will enjoy seeing books he knows. I want to have a few christmassy ones though. Any good recommendations? I googled children's christmas books but million came up and many seem a bit crap.....

RegencyRomanceReader Mon 07-Nov-16 21:44:42

Advent not adventure sorry I hit create not preview sorry

Mistletoekids Mon 07-Nov-16 21:46:24

This is a great idea!

Mistletoekids Mon 07-Nov-16 21:47:23

Watching!
Going to library later this week will have a look and post if haven't had many ideas. How old is DC?

Lireal Mon 07-Nov-16 21:48:56

Julia Donaldson - Stick Man

Mistletoekids Mon 07-Nov-16 21:50:38

Also If money tight and you don't want to buy a load of seasonal books you could also get a load of books from library and wrap them? Our local library you can get 20 kids books for weeks and weeks (free renewal) and no fines for children either!

seefeld Mon 07-Nov-16 21:51:30

Brilliant idea! Stick Man by Julia Donaldson is loved by my 2.5yo and we've just bought The Night Before Christmas. Have read it 3x today!

autumnintheair Mon 07-Nov-16 21:51:39

JUST COMING to say stick man, saw a lovely red hard cover version in JL

MayorOfWhere Mon 07-Nov-16 21:51:53

I know someone who has recently started selling Usborne books who offers a book advent calendar. Might be worth asking on a local selling page for an Usborne independent organiser who'll have some suggestions.

Muddlingalongalone Mon 07-Nov-16 21:53:06

Great idea.
The book people have a few Christmas collection multipacks which might fit the bill?
I think there's a Christmas dear zoo too.
Will you finish with the night before Christmas?

readyforno2 Mon 07-Nov-16 21:54:44

The Jolly Christmas Postman. Yy to Stickman

RegencyRomanceReader Mon 07-Nov-16 21:55:20

I think finishing with a night before christmas is a must! The library is a really good idea too!!

Interestingangelfish Mon 07-Nov-16 22:01:32

Christmas in the Mouse House! It is a really cool flap-up book, with mice who are sort of Edwardian or Victorian or something. My dd has loved it since before she was two, and still loves it now at nearly five.

What a lovely idea, btw!

TheWoollybacksWife Mon 07-Nov-16 22:04:13

The Christmas version of Dear Zoo is called Dear Santa. It is still on my DS's bookshelf even though he is nearly 10. He doesn't care about it but I can't bring myself to give it away fblush

maloryt0wers Mon 07-Nov-16 22:04:13

Alfie's Christmas or Lucy and Tom's Christmas by Shirley Hughes are my favourites, old fashioned, beautiful illustrations, just lovely!

mumofhandsomeboys Mon 07-Nov-16 22:06:38

The works do 10 books for £10. I bet there's Christmassy ones included in the offer smile

myfriendnigel Mon 07-Nov-16 22:18:55

Happy Christmas Blue Kangaroo. My DD's still love this on Christmas Eve and they are 9 and 10 smile

seefeld Mon 07-Nov-16 22:22:46

The Snowman by Raymond Briggs

GlitteryFluff Mon 07-Nov-16 22:27:13

Watching for ideas.

flutterworc Mon 07-Nov-16 22:37:57

Also love Stick Man & Jolly Christmas Postman. However, my DS's (4) favourites for the last couple of years have been:

The Christmas Bear - Ian Whybrow
The Best Christmas Present Ever - Ben Mantle
The Snowman/The Snowman and the Snowdog - Raymond Briggs
The First Christmas - Jan Piekowski
Kipper's Christmas Eve - Mick Inkpen
Sarah & Duck and the Christmas Lights - Sarah Gomes Harris
Zoe's Christmas List - Chloe & Mick Inkpen

I'm a sucker for a Christmas book. Could you borrow a few from the library, wrap them and sneak them back once read...?

flutterworc Mon 07-Nov-16 23:09:27

(Suddenly realising that I took so long to post someone has already said library - sorry!)

Kittykatmacbill Mon 07-Nov-16 23:51:29

Dd1 and dd2 both adore mog's christmas

LikeTheShoes Tue 08-Nov-16 08:13:40

Not yet perhaps, but in a few years, the jolly Christmas postman. (Lots of small parts)

KittyandTeal Tue 08-Nov-16 08:19:53

My dd1 loves slinky malinky Christmas crackers.

We buy her a Christmas book each year on the 1st Dec. We got this when she was 18 mo and she still loves it at 4yo.

Moms Christmas she loves, but not last years Christmas calamity. She's terrified of that!

She also loved dear Santa, a Santa version of dear zoo.

Wayfarersonbaby Tue 08-Nov-16 10:01:43

Seconding Lucy and Tom's Christmas (the original is out of print, but a new version was republished as Lucy and Tom at Christmas quite recently), and Alfie's Christmas.

Also Mog's Christmas, The Snowman, The Nutcracker (there are lots of lovely versions available), Raymond's Brigg's Father Christmas, Stick Man, Mrs Pepperpot's Christmas, The Lighthouse Keeper's Christmas...I'll have a look at my stash of Christmas books for more. DD likes the Katie books and was particularly taken last year with Katie's London Christmas.

I aim to add about 3 new Christmas books per year, and this year for DD (partly prompted by recommendations on MN) I have got The Jolly Christmas Postman, Christmas in Exeter Street and The Empty Stocking (probably all more for 3-4 year olds though than younger toddlers).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now