Talk

Advanced search

Christmas cake question

(7 Posts)
GettingScaredNow Sun 06-Nov-16 23:07:45

Using Mary berrys recipe. Reading ahead.

It says to turn the cake upside before icing. Why??
What if my cake comes out domed? If I turn it upside down it will wobble...
have I missed something?!?

jj21 Sun 06-Nov-16 23:58:33

Turning it upside down simply gives you a nice smooth flat surface to ice. If it has a domed top, you slice off the dome so it will sit flat. However, that side will be cut and have crumbs which will stick to your marzipan/icing, so using the side which is smoothest and flattest is regarded as being better. It is easier to marzipan or fondant a flat surface. The cut off part of the cake is a cook's perk in our house!

If I am royal icing the cake (with 'snow' not smooth royal icing) I leave the dome and just marzipan/ice as it is, but I am less of a baking goddess than MB!

Making a dip in the centre of the mixture and keeping the oven temp to the to the temperature stated (or lower if your oven runs hot) can help to avoid a dome.

HTH.

MyCatHasStaff Sun 06-Nov-16 23:59:08

You trim off the dome so it lays flat. You don't have to take loads off, if there's a gap, tuck a roll of marzipan round/under to stabilise it.

AmyC86 Mon 07-Nov-16 01:10:40

Either trim off the dome, or if it's just a slight raise, pack it with marzipan & icing xxx

GettingScaredNow Mon 07-Nov-16 09:32:17

Great replies thank you!!

First attempt for me. I may regret it as my dad is a Christmas cake connoisseur! But he's also impossible to buy for so this is his gift!

DonkeyOaty Mon 07-Nov-16 09:40:26

Handmade cake, baked with love.

Even if it's wonky, priceless.

Well done.

DanicaJones Mon 07-Nov-16 09:46:26

Yum

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now