Family board games

(18 Posts)
Yodasbride Sun 06-Nov-16 21:34:26

The annual conundrum over a game for after Christmas dinner that will suit all the family but can be played through the year.

Really don't want to go down the pie face route but we have a 7, 10, 22, and a few adults to entertain

Any suggestions?

bassetmum Sun 06-Nov-16 21:39:08

We are a little bit of an older family but we love

The logo game
Articulate
Telestations (i think that is what it is called. Basically chinese whispers and pictionary all rolled into one)

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 06-Nov-16 21:43:15

We like 5 crowns. It's simple enough for conversation to flow, but interesting enough to be competitive. A bit like rummy, so cards, not a board game (so possibly an irrelevant comment).

We also do a jigsaw, which is surprisingly addictive

Yodasbride Sun 06-Nov-16 21:46:10

Ooooo a jigsaw I never thought of that nice and easy for grandad but good for the kiddies to get involved as well smile

thatsn0tmyname Sun 06-Nov-16 21:46:53

I love Cluedo.

Bogbrush442 Sun 06-Nov-16 21:49:38

We really like the London Game- you're a visitor and have to make your way to 6 destinations by tube - good fun, doesn't take too long and it's a good way to learn your way around the Tube map. Approx £12 on Amazon last week (we'd played my childhood version at my mums last week and the children wanted to play it at home.

Undersmile Sun 06-Nov-16 21:50:23

Sheriff of Nottingham
Articulate
But my favourite is good old fashioned charades!

Monkeyface26 Sun 06-Nov-16 21:50:45

Qwirkle is first rate. DCs are 31, 16, and 11. It works for everyone.

KC225 Sun 06-Nov-16 22:37:45

We were given Trivial Pursuit family addition last year. We are two adults and two 8 year old. There is a box of adult questions and a box of kids questions. I didn't think they would get it but kids questions are how many rings in the Olympic symbol. What is the name of the yellow creature on Pokemon. We get good use out of it

shinook123 Mon 07-Nov-16 12:09:56

It's not a board game but I've just bought a game off amazon called Game for fame.
The reviews are brilliant and it looks so much fun to play.
You play on teams and it's suitable for all ages.Unless children are really young and wouldn't understand.
We love playing games in our family especially when we have extended family over.
This game looks perfect for christmas and new year.

insan1tyscartching Mon 07-Nov-16 12:29:07

Not a board game as such but we have been really enjoying Randomise lately. It lasts for as long as you choose, we draw but you can describe or act if you'd prefer and seems to appeal to children and adults alike.

Thatwaslulu Mon 07-Nov-16 12:32:07

We like Trivial Pursuit, Monopoly and Cluedo. In the past we have tried the electronic Wii quiz games too like Family Fortunes but got bored quite quickly.

trebleclef101 Mon 07-Nov-16 12:32:23

Try Survive! Escape from Atlantis. Easy to learn, not too long to play (30-45mins a round) but fun enough to keep everyone interested.

Only down side is it's 4 players only so not suitable for bigger groups if everyone wants to play.

H1ghw4y61revisited Mon 07-Nov-16 12:39:24

Splendour ⭐️

fluffiphlox Mon 07-Nov-16 12:59:36

Qwirkle! I dislike board games but even I enjoy a game of Qwirkle.

FleshEmoji Mon 07-Nov-16 16:03:46

Bausack was our best ever Christmas game. (Bandu seems to be the same and is cheaper -

www.amazon.co.uk/Zoch-Verlag-VENN00130-Bandu/dp/B00PN7R48G/ref=pd_sim_sbs_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TSD3D86AJM5VG786R9ES

www.amazon.co.uk/d/Everything-Else/Bausack-Klaus-Zoch/B000VM26UO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478534388&sr=8-1&keywords=bausack

Each player is given a base block and a number of beans. During a turn, a player chooses a wood block from a common supply and either holds a Refuse or Use auction. All player bid with their beans and the winner/loser must place the piece on their tower. If your tower falls you are out of the game. The last tower standing wins.

It's simple enough for everyone to easily understand, there's a good bit of good-natured nastiness built in (handing awkward bricks to other people) and the manual dexterity element is fun after a few drinks.

AlmaMartyr Mon 07-Nov-16 16:07:00

Qwirkle is good.

I've heard good things about Loony Quest. We enjoy Camel Up, 8yo DD loves Dixit and Machi Koro.

RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 07-Nov-16 16:09:20

We love games here, and now DC are 7 and 10 they're old enough to play some good ones. Recently we've got:

Carcassonne
Munchkin
Codewords

Plus we'll probably have a jigsaw on the go at Christmas. And old favourites like Scrabble still popular.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now