If your child already has a hatchimal

(15 Posts)
Juliecloud Fri 04-Nov-16 14:22:27

Do they like it? Are they a 5-minute wonder?

The DCs want them for Xmas but I'm only going to try to get them if they'll be played with for longer than one week.

whimsical1975 Fri 04-Nov-16 14:59:45

I'm wondering the same! DD wants one and I guarantee is going to be a 20second wonder that the robo kitten last year and the Kayla doll the year before!!! 🙄

Wormwoodm Fri 04-Nov-16 15:03:14

Following this!

Juliecloud Fri 04-Nov-16 20:52:56

Bump

MarmaladeTeepee Sat 05-Nov-16 08:18:30

I saw on another post that a mumsnetter showed her DD a YouTube video of one being hatched and she was deeply underwhelmed - tried it on DD and she too no longer wants one (result!), especially when I explained what else she could get for the money. I imagine the excitement is in the actual hatching and after that they're just a regular (boring) furby. Might be worth checking out the videos on YouTube to check your DCs reaction?

Fairylea Sat 05-Nov-16 08:19:59

I would imagine the hatching bit is the most exciting part and the rest is much like a Furby (which dd sold after 3 days of playing with it as she was so underwhelmed)!

Juliecloud Sat 05-Nov-16 11:13:33

I can't decide what to do. DD is desperate for one but it's a lot of money if she won't play with it much.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Sat 05-Nov-16 16:09:58

I would show a video of hatching on YouTube - doesn't actually look that good.

Then show other things you could buy for the money. In dd's case I said I could buy 6 packs of 12 shopkins!! Or the yokai watch, collectors folder, book, the 3 figures she saw in asda and a tonne of medals!! Or my favourite example the mega sized dumbo tsum tsum that is about the same size as her!!

What she doesn't know is we are buying her a kindle fire hd, case and headphones for the same price as the stupid hatchimal!!

Guccidayoneday Sat 05-Nov-16 17:31:47

Hi, it was my daughters 8th birthday at the end of October and I managed to get a Hatchimal (it was the only thing she really wanted).

She was thrilled to open it, and was very excited when it's eyes lit up inside the egg. The hatching was actually good fun to watch and she loved it.

Now I didn't realise once you unscrew it from the box the thing is active and you can't stop the hatching from happening. I was under the impression ( not sure why) that it took some time to get the egg to hatch, lots of stroking the egg/cuddling etc - this isn't the case, it takes only about 20/30 minutes (disappointing).

My daughter does like her Hatchimal and it goes to bed with her every night BUT that's it really, she hasn't played with it since her birthday much at all.

I would again say as a tip on Xmas morning don't unscrew the egg out of the box until your child is ready to sit and watch it hatch. My daughter was opening other gifts on her birthday (as we didn't realise the hatching had started, and didn't realise it happened so quickly).

Hope that's helps a little bit.

Juliecloud Sat 05-Nov-16 21:16:11

Thank you, that's helpful.

I cannot decide what to do! I could see it being the sort of thing that DD took to bed every night.

cowssheephens Sat 05-Nov-16 23:55:42

I'm undecided too! They've watched the videos on YouTube and they still want one.

They watch real chicks hatching here every week, tried telling them it won't be as amazing as that but they are not buying it!

Juliecloud Sun 06-Nov-16 11:17:02

We watched some you tube videos too and now they definitely want them!

SpringerS Sun 06-Nov-16 11:49:29

When I was young I remember getting turned off stupid toys that adverts had made me want when my parents did the following. The ad would come on and I'd be watching it agog, and planning to ask Santa for it. But behind me my parents would discuss the toy amongst themselves and talk about all the ways it was stupid and a waste of money and all the better things you could get instead. They weren't trying to convince me, as that would have gotten my back up. Just talking adult to adult while letting me overhear them. That way I actually quietly took on board their points and stopped wanting the toy.

Juliecloud Sun 06-Nov-16 13:03:49

I don't necessarily want to make DD not want one. I don't mind getting them if they will be played with.

SprinkleofLove Sun 06-Nov-16 13:08:41

We have one and he was interested in the hatching but once it was hatched it got chucked at the bottom the toy box.. Complete waste of money and I regret getting it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now