Talk

Advanced search

Laptop or tablet for 13yo dd?

(9 Posts)
Lovemusic33 Thu 03-Nov-16 10:52:03

Dd is almost 13, a bit of a geek, I bought her a 2nd hand laptop last Christmas which we have had endless problems with and has cost me a fortune to repare ( more than what I payed for it ), she's having problems with it again and have given up using it. She also has a old tablet which is on its way out. So which do I replace? Do I get her a new laptop? Do I get her a iPad? She needs to be able to do her school work on it, she uses Skype a lot to talk to friends as she refuses to sign up to social media.

This will be her only present so I don't mind spending a bit, I won't be buying her lots of unwanted tat like last year so would rather buy her one good present. Budget between £150 and £250 would be ideal.

Birdsgottafly Thu 03-Nov-16 19:57:13

It could be either, tbh. I and my youngest like Laptops, the rest of the family like IPads or tablets.

Your budget will well get you what she needs.

Birdsgottafly Thu 03-Nov-16 19:58:50

Just to add, tablets/Pads are more portable, I gave in and bought a Kindle fire, as well, because I use it on city breaks.

Lovemusic33 Thu 03-Nov-16 20:23:47

After speaking to dd it seems she would prefer a tablet and would prefer android rather than iPad (which will save me some money), I will look at the kindle fire, hopefully they will be on offer for Black Friday.

TyrannosauraRegina Thu 03-Nov-16 20:27:34

A laptop is much better for typing school essays etc if it has a decent-sized keyboard (13"+).

If she's a bit of a geek she probably has a decent idea what she'd like, though? E.g. would she rather a gaming PC/desktop replacement instead?

gigglingHyena Fri 04-Nov-16 08:21:01

If she want's to use it for school work it might be worth getting a wireless keyboard too. We use this, both with my android and DSs iPad.
www.amazon.co.uk/LOGITECH-920-003290-Tablet-Keyboard-iPad2/dp/B0053FAL24

inneedofchocolate Fri 04-Nov-16 17:11:56

Samsung galaxy tab a is a great android tablet between £150 and £200.

randomcatname Fri 04-Nov-16 18:04:22

We're looking at the asus chrome flip thingy for our almost 13 yr old. Seems a good compromise between both.

Lovemusic33 Sat 05-Nov-16 16:21:59

I was thinking the same randomcatname, are they very expensive?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now