Talk

Advanced search

Df wants 2 roasts?

(97 Posts)
GipsyDanger Wed 02-Nov-16 10:23:53

So I'm hosting xmas this year for 8/9 people to celebrate ds first xmas. Having asked for advice earlier I'm going to order via m&s (have you seen the present cake!!!)
I was telling my df that I was going to order a plain turkey crown and stuffing as a side incase some people don't like stuffing. He says, what about the beef roast. I was like confused? The turkey crown serves 8-10 why the hell would I order another roast? Is this a thing? Also, I told him I only have a single oven how would I cook it, apparently they will cook it and bring it over 🤔 So much for me hosting, seeing as my menu is not suitable. Grrr!

TupsNSups Wed 02-Nov-16 10:25:52

I thought it was normal to have 2 roasts on christmas dinner? I always have blush

mintthins Wed 02-Nov-16 10:25:56

DSis once informed me that I was a poor Christmas host because I did not offer a ham alongside the (Kelly frigging Bronze) turkey. We are no longer close.

MadHattersWineParty Wed 02-Nov-16 10:26:54

Two roasts?!! In one Christmas meal?

What?confused

thesunwillout Wed 02-Nov-16 10:28:03

ime the crown won't far enough, always do more.

Leopard12 Wed 02-Nov-16 10:28:24

Don't tell him any of your plans again, be vague if they question you and insist you are doing the dinner

Runwayqueen Wed 02-Nov-16 10:29:24

We have 2 small roasts, normally chicken (we aren't turkey fans) and gammon. Our choice. If he wants a 2nd he can cook it

BeMorePanda Wed 02-Nov-16 10:29:38

is DF your father or fiance?
have you not had Christmas with them before?

orangebird69 Wed 02-Nov-16 10:29:39

We always have at least 2 meats....

MissBattleaxe Wed 02-Nov-16 10:29:44

If they cook it and bring it over, I don't see a problem.

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Wed 02-Nov-16 10:29:55

If your DF liked beef at Christmas, surely you'd have notice this at some point in your childhood?

And is there any reason why you can't serve it if he brings it? After all, it's not as if he's demanding you do the cooking for something different for him. It's not a criticism, just a harmless addition of something that falls well into normal for many people.

If someone else offered to supply a cheeseboard, or brought wine would you see that as a criticism?

HappyAsASandboy Wed 02-Nov-16 10:30:57

We normally have a ham as well as a turkey. I get a turkey big enough to feed the right number of guests, a ham to feed the right number of guests (so there is twice as much meat as required), serve both at Christmas lunch so people can choose/have both, and then use the leftovers for sandwiches/buffet on Christmas night, Boxing Day, the next day .....

I would miss Christmas ham with a sticky marmalade/honey glaze if we didn't have it grin

Sirzy Wed 02-Nov-16 10:31:00

If they are happy to bring it what's the problem?

I cook a turkey on Christmas Eve and a ham on Christmas Day.

GipsyDanger Wed 02-Nov-16 10:31:11

Ha! See now I'm stressing I won't have enough to go around. Now that I think about it, we always had about a months worth of leftovers after xmas, I would avoid turkey like the plague for the rest of the year.

Floralnomad Wed 02-Nov-16 10:31:15

Well if they want to cook it and bring it with them I can't see the issue . My mum/ sister always host Christmas ( they have animals they won't leave) and they generally do a choice of meats although in our case it's turkey or pork as none of us really like beef . Btw , we used to have the M&S crown but although we still do a M&S order we know get the crowns from Morrisons as they are nicer .

gininteacupsandleavesonthelawn Wed 02-Nov-16 10:31:23

I only ever do turkey but get the M&S 8-10 one for 5 people, it won't be enough for 9 and what about the leftovers?? They're the best bit!!!

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Wed 02-Nov-16 10:31:23

(I assumed DF was Dratted Father - unless OP has a fiancé who does not cohabit with her and their DC)

Rumtopf Wed 02-Nov-16 10:33:24

Depends on who I'm hosting. Just the three of us - whatever we please, one year I did a huge pan of Moules mariniere with fresh bread and we sat and gorged ourselves on that. My parents - large rib of beef and possibly a small piece of pork as that's Dd's favourite. Dh's family - large turkey crown with all the trimmings and big piece of beef.

If they want beef and are happy to buy it and bring it then let them get on with it!

Icebearsaysno Wed 02-Nov-16 10:34:03

We always have turkey and ham!!! Thought 2 meats was the norm ?

GipsyDanger Wed 02-Nov-16 10:34:08

It was my dad. We do get on really well, he can just be a bit patronising when it comes to food. I have to keep reminding him I've kept house for 7+ years and not killed me or dh grin

SealSong Wed 02-Nov-16 10:34:33

Two roasts sounds awesome. I wish I had the oven space.

Sirzy Wed 02-Nov-16 10:35:30

seal that's why we cook the turkey the night before because of lack of space. And the smell is lovely when we come in from the church service!

Mymouthgetsmeintrouble Wed 02-Nov-16 10:35:45

I do 3 meats but to save me lots of cooking over a few days as the meat is all ready i freeze excess to use in jan when money can be a bit short i do gammon , beef and turkey or goose

Mymouthgetsmeintrouble Wed 02-Nov-16 10:36:47

To answer your question , your house your rules if people dont like it , tough

GipsyDanger Wed 02-Nov-16 10:37:10

See and here I thought I was doing well by ordering for 8-10. I take it it serves up to 10 if everyone has a 10p size piece of turkey. May take him up on the offer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now