Talk

Advanced search

Christmas cake

(10 Posts)
flapjackfairy Tue 01-Nov-16 14:05:17

Does anyone else love a dingy autumn day that is just perfect to do a spot of baking? I am so excited as i have my christmas cake in the oven. It made me realise I am so in my element now that the clocks have changed and the dark nights are upon us. I think i have seasonal affective disorder in reverse. I just love everything about autumn and winter and am so glad to be back in boots and snuggly jumpers etc I even love the cold damp days though of course frosty and snowy days are best of all.This run up to christmas never fails to excite me even though i am old enough to know better.
You can keep summer for me . I would be happy with winter all year long.
Does anyone else feel the same or is it just me?

DonkeyOaty Tue 01-Nov-16 14:09:24

Oh snap! Mine's in right now too. Dairy Diary cook book 1992 Rich Fruit Cake recipe p314 for those who'll want to know!

Yours?

flapjackfairy Tue 01-Nov-16 14:24:03

Mary berry classic. Not done this one before just hope it is ok. Not the worlds best cook to be honest but just checked it and looking(and smelling) good

flapjackfairy Tue 01-Nov-16 14:28:03

Oh and my mother used the dairy diary cookbook when i was a kid back in the olden days (70s)!
She did her christmas cake out of it as well so you just gave me another little tingle of excitement due to nostalgia.
Hopefully my parents will be with us at xmas so she can give her verdict on my efforts.

DonkeyOaty Tue 01-Nov-16 14:56:41

Mines out and the house is full of Christmassy aromas.

Mary Berry classic - can't go wrong with our Mary.

flapjackfairy Tue 01-Nov-16 17:43:13

Donkey i am delighted to report mary has come up trumps. Looks and smells lovely so hopefully it will taste as good as ot looks!

DonkeyOaty Tue 01-Nov-16 17:49:27

Hooray! And we get to be smug ole bastards because that's one job struck off the To-Do List. <smug face>

flapjackfairy Tue 01-Nov-16 17:55:40

Absolutely! Thanks for sharing your baking day with me donkey. I enjoyed your company!

DonkeyOaty Tue 01-Nov-16 18:37:49

grin It's been great!

We'll be needing to think about Red Cabbage soon, and stuffing and mincemeat and and and [calm down dear]

fgrin

flapjackfairy Tue 01-Nov-16 19:14:19

I know the problem with the list is that i keep adding more stuff to the end so never feel like i am getting anywhere!
Still ten out of ten for our organisational skills i think.
I am definitely going to relish that smug feeling for a short while at least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now