We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you get your house looking Christmassy?

(45 Posts)
Summerisntcoming Sun 30-Oct-16 20:34:07

We always have the Xmas tree with lights etc and few xmas candles but the house never really feels Christmassy! How do you decorate your houses/living rooms to get that warm cosy and well decorated Christmas feel to it? Any ideas or your must haves? Any photos for inspiration?

Artandco Sun 30-Oct-16 20:39:15

Scented candles, light every evening
Hang cinnamon from tree
Poinsettia plants
Add red blanket onto sofa

autumnrained Sun 30-Oct-16 20:42:00

I definitely think lighting plays a big part!

I think my living room looks quite Christmassy and all I did was filled it with loads of lights smile

caroline29woohooo Sun 30-Oct-16 20:44:50

Lights and also fill glass vases with baubles for simple xmas decoration. Fireplace wreath is good way too.

BellMcEnd Sun 30-Oct-16 20:45:24

Is that a bit of festive Cliff on the telly, too, autumn? grin

RhinestoneCowgirl Sun 30-Oct-16 20:46:53

Think it's Shakey on the telly...

wobblywonderwoman Sun 30-Oct-16 20:47:16

I love changing the sofa cushions to stag or scandi type

Scent - pine cones or candles

No main light on- lamps and fairy lights

If you google Laura Ashley Christmas you get nice ideas

VikingMuchToAllOurLiking Sun 30-Oct-16 20:48:01

Red velvet Xmas curtains, red rug, Xmas cushions, all cheap from IKEA.

Lots of non led fairy lights and evergreen garlands. Lots of red and soft lights basically!

PlugUgly Sun 30-Oct-16 20:49:18

Agree with Autumn , lights EVERYWHERE! Strung around mirrors, over door frames, on windowsills peeking between cards ... can't have too many!

Davros Sun 30-Oct-16 20:52:06

Lights, lights, lights
Followed by
Tinsel, tinsel, tinsel
grin

LumpySpacedPrincess Sun 30-Oct-16 20:53:14

Glass bowls filled with baubles, baskets filled with logs and excess branches of tree off cuts. Throws and cushions everywhere and scented candles every night.

scrivette Sun 30-Oct-16 20:56:29

Take down non Christmassy decorations, have Christmas cushions, cosy throws, vases of baubles, lots of lights and decorations around.

TealGiraffe Sun 30-Oct-16 20:59:37

My mum and dads house is basically a grotto at xmas. I bloody love it grin

My mum swaps the cushions for festive ones, and has a big red tartan throw for the sofa.
Fairy lights around the fireplace, candles lit, a hurricane jar filled with baubles and fairy lights.

Its verging on tacky but i love it. Its just so cosy and 'warm'.

Summerisntcoming Sun 30-Oct-16 21:10:43

I love the verging on tackyness of it though. It's what makes the lead up to Christmas. We just never seem to get it quite done, it just looks like a few randomly places candles and a tree dumped in the corner. Will check out these ideas though and start looking for bits now 😊

Weedsnseeds1 Sun 30-Oct-16 21:16:02

Tons of greenery and pine cones. Traditional red, green and gold colours. Lots of white, twinkly lights.

smellylittleorange Sun 30-Oct-16 21:36:31

yup twinkle lights is the name of the game. You can use battery operated fairy lights..warm is best. I have changed living room colour scheme so it incorporates red , grey and taupe and is easy to add in Christmas bits. I have throws from Primark (scandi style) bunting in red gingham and felt, a Robin cushion..cushions from Matalan (this season) and lots of silvery mercury glass votives and candlesticks. This is our first Christmas in this house so hope I will pull it all off as lounge is now bigger. Smell helps..Orange and clove candles or Yankee or somesuch but lighting is the key..oh and yes..main lights go off!

NashvilleQueen Sun 30-Oct-16 21:42:41

All of the above and NEVER put the Big Light on (I hate it all year round but especially at Christmas).

autumnintheair Sun 30-Oct-16 21:51:36

pin interest op,

I go overboard quite simply, everywhere you look there is something.

Davros Sun 30-Oct-16 23:16:06

I find it helps not to attempt to do it all in one go. I try to store the decorations in separate boxes for each room. Have patience and take it slowly, enjoy it and before you know, it's done. Then the tree arrives a few days later and I get my second or third wind!

torthecatlady Sun 30-Oct-16 23:16:26

Weeds - I need your fireplace!!!! It looks beautiful.

JoJoSM2 Sun 30-Oct-16 23:28:13

As far as less usual ideas, I like to hang baubles on chandeliers, wrap curtain poles in fairy lights and decorations and I might do big ribbons with attached decorations around dining chairs. I also want to get lots of exterior decorations- the tackier the better ;)

EnidButton Sun 30-Oct-16 23:29:26

Definitely down to lighting. Warm white lights are best. Candles, preferably real but that can be a bit dangerous if you're in and out of a room. You can get those pretend led candles from everywhere now and they're actually pretty realistic.

BowiesBlueEye Sun 30-Oct-16 23:31:08

Yep. Lights. Loads of them and a staple gun grin

EnidButton Sun 30-Oct-16 23:33:33

Posted too soon. Also agree with the greenery. We have a jug on the kitchen windowsill that gets filled with holly, real wreath on the door, pine cones in a large jar, real Christmas tree.

Thinking of lights, the battery powered wire lights are really good for adding light where you don't have a socket. Twist them around a wreath, put them in mason jars, over the mantelpiece, over mirrors... Saw some copper wires ones the other day which look very glowy.

EnidButton Sun 30-Oct-16 23:36:03

Gorgeous pictures! I'm feeling festive already.

(Love your nickname Bowie ⚡️)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now