Talk

Advanced search

First time hosting Christmas

(3 Posts)
CCK26 Sun 30-Oct-16 18:07:25

This year will be the first time DH and I have hosted for Xmas. We've always gone to my mums but this year, her and my dad are coming to us. DH is a fab cook - me not so much. We are on a tight budget, but want to make it really special. My mums always done the traditional xmas dinner and a buffet style tea on the night, and the same again on boxing day. We want to kind of to do the same but our own twist on it, if that makes sense? We will be driving 130 miles on Christmas morning back home from visiting relaties so not a lot of time the day before! How do we make the meal side of things special but cheap and easy?

Artandco Sun 30-Oct-16 18:10:59

You can prep and freeze stuff in advance, for example red cabbage.

NickyEds Tue 01-Nov-16 14:49:15

Could you make a nice soup the weekend before and freeze it for a starter on the day? I've also cooked carrot and swede mashed up early and re heated it and it was fine. The Hairy Bikers do a dessert called Snow Queen which is lovely and can be made well in advance and left in the freezer. So will you have Christmas dinner, buffet supper then Boxing Day lunch and evening buffet? How many are you catering for?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now