Talk

Advanced search

Christmas buffet - veggie suggestions please?

(29 Posts)
Chottie Sun 30-Oct-16 07:07:49

On Boxing Day Dsis and family are coming to lunch. They are all veggies. I will have cold turkey and gammon for non veggies, plus lots of salads, garlic bread etc for everyone.

I would really like some Christmassy vegetarian suggestions for the menu. I usually end up making a veggie flan and I would really like to make something different this year.

thanks

MTWTFSS Sun 30-Oct-16 07:12:00

Mushroom and chestnut Wellington.

I'd personally be lazy and just order the vegetarian options from M&S food to order.

fourcorneredcircle Sun 30-Oct-16 08:54:40

Stuffed peppers - use ainsley harriots Moroccan couscous if you want an easy life ;)

Falafel and flat bread - again, shop bought with shop bought tzatziki and salad is fine ;)

Aubergine sliced like a hassle back potato and each slot filled with alternating beef tomato slice and mozerella or smoked cheese. Wrap in foil, bung in oven until cooked.

Coconutty Sun 30-Oct-16 08:56:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nothruroad Sun 30-Oct-16 08:58:14

I love this pilaf which can be eaten hot or cold.

www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/christmas-pilaff/

SuburbanRhonda Sun 30-Oct-16 09:01:19

There are so many suggestions online from Ottolenghi, BBC Good Food, Jamie Oliver and Hugh F-W. It really depends on what you know your vegetarian guests like to eat. I would ask them fur a few suggestions. Some vegetarians don't like aubergines, mushrooms, etc.

Remember also that meat eaters often want a bit of everything so make sure you have enough to go round.

BikeRunSki Sun 30-Oct-16 09:03:25

I veggie and always feel short changed by sausages/sausage rolls. If you are doing meaty ones, please do veggie ones too!

INeedNewShoes Sun 30-Oct-16 09:03:31

Little pastries filled with brie and cranberry

Chestnuts (can you buy them roasted?)

Quiche of some sort (not necessarily Christmassy but nice and not too much of a faff to make)

Same goes for baby new potatoes roasted and filled with sour cream and chives

INeedNewShoes Sun 30-Oct-16 09:04:38

Red cabbage homemade coleslaw

SuburbanRhonda Sun 30-Oct-16 09:13:05

If you do lots of small additions for the vegetarians there's a chance everyone else will just think they're extras and you may not have enough to go round.

I would make Jamie Oliver's Incredible Nut Roast - it can be made ahead and frozen and is less hassle on the day than several small fiddly things.

Yes to veggie sausage rolls!

Little quiches, in a jam tart tray

Bhajis, samosas and pakora (can often be bought in bulk from restaurants and work out much cheaper and taste better than supermarket ones)

Tbh though, if there's a load of bread and cheese, some salad and coleslaw, posh crisps and veggie sausage rolls, I'm a happy veggie!

BikeRunSki Sun 30-Oct-16 14:30:56

Tour veg crisps and nice humous keep mr happy - along with sausage rolls.

tissuesosoft Sun 30-Oct-16 14:33:25

Second the stuffed peppers- red and yellow ones with the ainsley Harriot cous cous, grated cheese on top, into the grill to melt- delicious!

whimsical1975 Sun 30-Oct-16 14:41:51

Melanzane isn't our veggie go-to dish!!! We make an authentic Italian melanzane which is absolutely delicious... but you have to like aubergines!

Shemozzle Sun 30-Oct-16 14:44:39

Ready roll puff pastry, spread cheese and pesto/spinach/marmite/sun dried tomato etc over, roll up, slice. Easy veggie pinwheels that are always really popular. Mincemeat ones are nicer than mince pies too.

BikeRunSki Sun 30-Oct-16 15:35:46

Melanzane isn't our veggie go-to dish!!! We make an authentic Italian melanzane which is absolutely delicious... but you have to like aubergines!

Yes, but what is whimsical wink

newmumwithquestions Sun 30-Oct-16 15:48:29

Others got in first but id agree with Felafel, pakora, bhajis. And houmous, olives, sundried tons.

stuffed vine leaves? they're not my favourite but often go down well?

newmumwithquestions Sun 30-Oct-16 15:48:47

I am now hungry!

MTWTFSS Sun 30-Oct-16 15:54:27

I'd love to see mini sausage rolls! With a range of condiments to dip into :D

newmumwithquestions Sun 30-Oct-16 15:56:08

Oh just one other thing. Is your family veggy for ethical reasons? If so either go easy on the eggy things like quiche or make sure you make it or buy it with free range ones. It's a classic thing to offer veggies and my heart often sinks as I take it as I know someone has gone to the effort and thought to get me something they think I'll eat, but if it's bought from a mainstream supermarket then they normally use battery eggs (m&s, waitrose, co-op and some of the top supermarket ranges are ok).

Dogolphin Sun 30-Oct-16 16:04:22

Deviled eggs, lots of crisps, mini quiche, spicy quorn sausage rolls, hummus, roast veg rice/couscous.

Dogolphin Sun 30-Oct-16 16:05:52

Halloumi and roast veg kebabs.

AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 30-Oct-16 16:06:37

I'm doing a filo wreath like this but filling with chestnuts, leeks, mushrooms, cranberries and Brie. Makes a really nice centre piece.

Maverickismywingman Sun 30-Oct-16 16:08:05

Strata is a good thing to make.

You can do cheese and onion (non-sausage) rolls, or sausage rolls (with a link of sausage and a spot of chutney). Tomato isn't too bad in pastry but can be a bit watery.

I really like ye olde pickled onion and cheese on a toothpick. You can do it with just about anything you can skewer. I did "Greek salad ones" - feta, olive and cherry tomato.

TwentyCups Sun 30-Oct-16 16:08:23

Cold nut roast and cranberry is an excellent buffet option!

Carrot sticks and hummus is great all year round.

Linda McCartney sausage rolls are vegan, great served cold as well!

Jus roll pastry topped with cranberry sauce and roasted parsons and carrots with pumpkin seeds has a good 'Christmassy' feel.

Stuffing of course!

All the above are suitable for vegans smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now