Ideas to make a children's christmas magical

(12 Posts)
heslimedme Sat 29-Oct-16 22:46:14

I've got a two year old and would like some ideas to make Christmas magical.

Of course I'll be leaving out a mince pie and a carrot and leaving snowing (floury!) footprints from the chimney but what do you do?

Can I hear about your ideas please?

applepearorangebear Sat 29-Oct-16 22:52:57

We mix porridge oats and glitter together to make 'reindeer food' and go out in the garden with torches to sprinkle it over the lawn, which the DCs love. We also do the usual things like baking, reading Christmas stories at bedtime and singing lots of Christmas songs with them. And the obligatory trip to see Santa and new Christmas PJs on Christmas Eve. Nothing too groundbreaking, but they seem to enjoy it!

frazzled74 Sat 29-Oct-16 22:57:02

We read a Christmas themed book each night in December, watch a few Christmas films, with hot choc, winter walk to collect pine cones and decorate them, look out for local Christmas activities(our library and museum have craft and story telling ), go to a children's Christmas church service, go for a walk/drive to look at Christmas lights. I wouldn't do anything too big or extravagent at 2 years old, save the winter wonderlands, Lapland UK and such like for later years.

elQuintoConyo Sat 29-Oct-16 22:58:25

Go stand in the garden before bed and see if you can see FC's sleigh lights (aeroplanes/ISS).

Pretend you can hear sleigh bells but FC won't come unless you're asleep.

Carrot, bowl of water, mince pie, glass of something boozey for FC and RtRNR.

Laying under the Christmas tree and making faces in the big baubles used to entertain me for ages. Turn off the lights so the tree lights sparkle more. I still do this when everyone is in bed and I'm last up, and I'm 41 fgrin

Tbh children are going to be so excited anyway!

sofiathesecond Sun 30-Oct-16 08:19:12

I used to tape wrapping paper to the door to the lounge for dd to burst through in the morning. With dp on other side to take pic! Great pics!

MrsGsnow18 Sun 30-Oct-16 10:15:12

I love that idea sofiathesecond!!

Makemineacabsauv Sun 30-Oct-16 10:47:24

Good tip for the reindeer food is to use bird seed and glitter rather than porridge oats as the birds will eat all the seed before DC remember to check the next morning!
We've always had a visit from an elf on Xmas Eve, we would normally go to the panto/cinema and when we got home there would be a big gift bag in the middle of the Lou ge floor. Filled with new pjs, DVD/Xmas books, hot choc, wee bottle of Bailey's, treats etc. Then after dinner we leave out the snacks on special plates the DC decorated at one of those pottery aces, sprinkle the reindeer food then bed!! Madness in the morning as we open stockings downstairs with all the presents in one big exciting morning session! Love it!!

LadyMetroland Sun 30-Oct-16 12:37:17

Every year on Xmas eve when the kids are just settled in bed with lights out, MIL and I sneak out into the garden with a bunch of bells and ring them. Garden is big, and pitch black so they can't see us. They really believe it's sleigh bells!

Greenfingeredfun Sun 30-Oct-16 20:01:17

A few years ago I presented my two boys with a brown paper bag which had inside those old fashioned red/white striped mints. I told them that a funny looking little man (who looked a bit like an elf actually) gave them to me telling me that they were magic seeds that must be sowed tonight (Christmas Eve). I said he was very insistent that they were very magical. I pooh poohed it saying 'we can plant them if you'll like, but I doubt they'll do anything so don't be dissapointed'. At dusk, we went into our garden and planted the magic seeds. Later, once they were asleep, I dug up the seeds and stuck candy canes in their place. The boys faces in the morning when they saw that they had grown candy canes!! Magic grin

PrettyBotanicals Sun 30-Oct-16 20:05:19

Green you are wonderful! flowers

SheldonCRules Sun 30-Oct-16 22:15:27

We've done the reindeer food, xmas eve boxes, sealed the door with wrapping paper and filled the room with balloons to make it magical.

Love the candy canes in the garden idea.

holidaysaregreat Sun 30-Oct-16 22:20:52

Elf door and little notes, mainly aimed at keeping a lid on manic behaviour! Bought two elves last year and they get up to nonsense overnight. A few traditions such as cinema trip and hot choc at the cafe a few days before Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now