Talk

Advanced search

How many gifts do you get you children

(22 Posts)
soontobemrsmckeown Sat 29-Oct-16 22:28:41

I've got 45 gifts for dd and that's between birthday and christmas. Still got a few little bits to get. How would you split it between the two? She doesn't have a main gift for either of them most expensive gift is 35 and cheapest was 50p.

soontobemrsmckeown Sat 29-Oct-16 22:29:35

Forgot to add birthday is mid January and she will be 5.

ThisIsNotARealAvo Sat 29-Oct-16 22:32:11

DH and I were just talking about this and we are thinking of getting the DCs aged 7 and 9 a fixed number of presents, maybe 5 plus stockings. For their birthdays this year they both got so much from us and others they were just ripping off paper and going to the next present and it became kind of meaningless. I want Christmas not just to be about presents as birthdays seem to be massively about presents. We will probably spend quite a lot but don't want to give them tons of stuff they won't play with or even remember by new year.

MarciaBlaine Sat 29-Oct-16 22:50:55

At 5 she probably won't care that much. 45 seems a bit excessive. We always did one or 2 big presents. Then a stocking or some smaller stuff to unwrap.

PinkiePiesCupcakes Sat 29-Oct-16 22:54:52

We don't count, just set a rough budget.
Last year she had 17. This year there's 12 on the Amazon wish list but the budgets the same, about £150.

SlinkyB Sat 29-Oct-16 22:54:57

My kids both have January birthdays, so I tend to go a bit mad picking stuff up for them on October/November, then sit down one night and split them down the middle. No way it will ever by 45 gifts though! They'll be 3 and 6 next Jan, and will probably have a max of 10 things to open on Xmas Day, and around 5 -7 on their birthdays. They get quite a lot from extended family so would be crazy to get too much...would need a bugger house!

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sat 29-Oct-16 22:58:18

About half a dozen plus another half a dozen stocking bits. They also have early in the year birthdays, they will get 3 or 4 things then too.

Some years there is a big main present, some years not, it depends what is wanted/needed.

Buttercupsandaisies Sat 29-Oct-16 23:26:51

6-7 for birthdays and 20 for Xmas plus stocking and main gift

thatsn0tmyname Sat 29-Oct-16 23:31:10

Ours are 5 and 3 and they'll get a stocking each, a fleecy hoodie each and we're getting a fish tank. They've both just had birthdays in October. This helps to reduce the grandparents excess on Christmas day. The children often lose interest if they get too much so grandparents have been asked to tone it down this year.

HateMrTumble Sat 29-Oct-16 23:32:44

However many things I see and think 'he'd love that' until I run out of money..

Eva50 Sat 29-Oct-16 23:40:47

1 biggish and about 6 small presents each. They will get something small from my sister but they don't get much from anyone else. They appear to be happy with that.

Enidblyton1 Sat 29-Oct-16 23:43:57

I'd probably just split them roughly in half - give the £35 present for Christmas and 20 smaller things in a stocking. Then the rest for Birthday.

Must admit I've really cut down on presents this year. My DCs will be getting one main present for Christmas (costing <£30) and a stocking of approx 10 fun things costing maybe about £40. With presents from grandparents, aunties, uncles etc our house was starting to disappear under a mountain of toys!

ChristmasEvePJs Sat 29-Oct-16 23:54:24

25. 12 in stockings (from 50p to ££), 1main gift from father Christmas and 12 from us. Sounds more than it is tbh.

sofiathesecond Sun 30-Oct-16 07:26:16

Dd6 will have 3 decent sized gifts e.g. Lego set, then some gymnastic stuff. Books, and then stocking. Birthday is Xmas week so very difficult. I try to make sure it's not too much as she gets present fatigue during Xmas week. She's having a birthday party as well on 17th so will have 20 gifts then. Aargh!!!!

Gowgirl Sun 30-Oct-16 07:30:57

3 each, one for each wise man plus stockings on beds

ByeByeLilSebastian Sun 30-Oct-16 07:33:26

I set a budget and buy within it. They usually get 1 big present, about 5 medium presents and quite a few small stocking filler types.

Cagliostro Sun 30-Oct-16 17:06:49

Not sure I've ever counted!

The DCs are sharing a big wooden marble run as their main gift, plus a board game. They each have a couple of small Lego sets (one in stocking), top trumps, a card/brain teaser game, puzzles, they get pyjamas on Christmas Eve and this year will get new duvet covers too as they haven't had any for years. Probably update their wardrobes as usual and they'll get a couple of little toys I guess. And underwear and socks (character stuff which I don't buy during the year) but I know not everyone would count that as presents

Cagliostro Sun 30-Oct-16 17:07:07

Oh and books I buy far too many books!

anyoldname76 Sun 30-Oct-16 18:02:33

i get them 15 presents, and then 5 little gifts in a stocking.

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Sun 30-Oct-16 22:21:23

Probably about 20 presents plus a stocking. He's nearly 3. His birthday maybe 15?

SlinkyB Sun 30-Oct-16 22:37:05

I try to stick to this little mantra

Something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read!

So; some crappy toy that'll last five mins, a toothbrush/new bike helmet, new pj's and character undies...then a few decent books.

Will always get a stocking with little bits in too.

griffinsss Sun 30-Oct-16 22:55:38

We have a kind of odd system in our family where the children (and the adults to an extent!) are absolutely ridiculously spoilt on their birthdays and the whole day is entirely about them, but at Christmas they get a stocking of gifts and that's it as the day is about family and spending time together. It's a tradition that my parents had as children which they then continued with us and we now carry out with our children. We love it.

So, in your situation I would put anything that might fit into a stocking aside for Christmas and keep the rest for the birthday - although I know that isn't most people's ideal situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now