I have no clue what to get DS age 8 and a half!

(36 Posts)
Kirriemuir Sat 29-Oct-16 14:32:58

He doesn't know either.

He has a bike, scooter, trampoline, iPad and an iPod. We have a PlayStation too. Clothes he's not really into. Same with trainers. We have tonnes of Lego much of which isn't played with. He isn't really a reader either.

He's really not into toys anymore.

Days out wise we live in Perth Scotland so a day out to the likes of legoland isn't possible without a lot of expense.

Any thoughts.

FoddyWaddle Sat 29-Oct-16 14:57:18

I have twin 8.5 year old ds! Mine are very easy to buy for at the moment but i have noticed a shift to more 'grown up" toys. DS1 has requested a paper plane set for example.
An idea i am thinking about is buying them a unlimited cinema pass. I think this is something they would enjoy as they love the cinema.
Also coding toys seem to be popular with my boys friends and it means they can have fun practicing a skill they need for school.

Badders123 Sat 29-Oct-16 16:37:55

Ds2 is 8 and he is very like your son...has lots of stuff already.
He is getting a keyboard as he has just started piano lessons, DVDs, books, new beanbag for his bedroom, some more gems for his fossil collection, PS4 game...

DramaInPyjamas Sat 29-Oct-16 16:43:07

I know you mention he's not much of a reader but might he enjoy a Beano subscription? More fun than a book and it would be spread out through the whole year

Badders123 Sat 29-Oct-16 16:45:19

Audio books?
iPod to listen to them on?

ItsLikeSputnik Sat 29-Oct-16 16:55:02

My DS is almost 8 and he would like a set of football goals and an electronic darts board for Christmas. His birthday is the week before and he would like the new Skylanders game for that.

FixItUpChappie Sat 29-Oct-16 16:56:23

Doesn't play with toys?! That seems a shame - possibly his interest can be peaked again? This is a list of suggestions I posted for someone else's 8 yr old....

board games
-science sets, crystal growing, volcano sets, funky experiment sets
-beginners robotics set
-Lego
-stomp rocket
-demolition lab sets
-playmobil
-models
-puzzles
-Track builders for hotwheels

I remember my brother and his friends building vast complicated Lego/GI Joe compounds until he was at least 13+ so some of those toys have longevity....my 49 yr old husband salivates at the notion of Star Wars Lego so there is some wide reaching appeal.

I saw a Magformer set that allows kids to turn their creations into RC vehicles - that looked pretty cool

mailfuckoff Sat 29-Oct-16 16:56:53

Is he an only? My age 7 twins have a football table. It folds flat upright so can be stored but they play it none stop during the holidays :-)

BikeRunSki Sat 29-Oct-16 16:59:37

Football strip?
Skateboard?

Is he into any sports? My 8 yo DS wants ice skating lessons, a Newcastle United shirt and a guitar + lessons.

PassTheMead Sat 29-Oct-16 17:00:31

oh hello! You're near me (Dundee)

My DS is the same age, and I've got him (so far)

Yokai Watch plushes,
Pokemon moon 3ds game
jurassic world wii u game
scooby doo lego
practical joke kit
board games
pokemon top
Terry Pratchett Book (Johnny and the dead)

he might like a ds/3ds, there are some great games for them and not too pricy, especially if you look in CEX etc

BikeRunSki Sat 29-Oct-16 17:01:54

Hex bugs?
Science kit?
Ukulele?

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sat 29-Oct-16 17:03:31

Best present my DS had at that age was a microscope. He used to spendcages with it and gross things like bits of his dinner he'd snuck off with

Badders123 Sat 29-Oct-16 17:17:13

Oh yes have got ds a hexbug!

HenryCatPic Sat 29-Oct-16 20:50:21

A few ideas that I've picked up from other threads
Speaker for iPod
Art set
Duvet cover in favourite sport / hobby
Crystal / geode set

SilverGiraffe7 Sat 29-Oct-16 20:59:45

Does he like making things? My DS(7) has asked for a 3Doodler Start which is a 3D printing pen for children. I can't wait to have a play myself!

http://3doodlerstart.com

Tiggles Sat 29-Oct-16 22:04:14

My 8 year old wants heelies, then anything pokemon.
10year old loves lego - technic lego in particular last year, and electronics kits.
They both enjoy hex bugs.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Wed 02-Nov-16 22:10:15

Does he play minecraft, Lego dimensions or skylanders? DS loves these.
Science set
Decent magic set
Pocket microscope
Stop go motion set
Electronics kit
Skateboard
Wireless headphones for iPod
Gems/fossils crystal mining sets
Books on coding

It's a tough age I think. DS is still really into Lego so he's getting more of that. We have loads of the stuff already but we're doing a pre-Christmas clear out of some of it. Maybe more complicated sets like technics etc.

GerrardWinstanley Wed 02-Nov-16 22:33:30

kano. If he might get into coding.
Otherwise a microscope, metal detector, telescope, camera with a gorillapod

Pigleychez Wed 02-Nov-16 22:47:34

Not DS but DD is 8 and science kits, practical joke kits etc all go down well with her male peers.
How to train your dragon stuff is popular too.

foddywaddle
Re paper airplanes
DD has this book that she loves and we have gifted this many times with great success. www.amazon.co.uk/100-Paper-Planes-Fold-Fly/dp/1409551113/ref=pd_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TQ8QT7RXAGWFF3MX8H0C

jakesmommy Thu 03-Nov-16 05:05:39

I have bought my 9 year old son some of the new Hexbugs Vex robotic sets, also a few new books-David Walliams Midnight Gang, Christmasaurus and Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Pokémon trading cards, Battle Moves Pikachu, Nintendo Pokémon Sun and Moon for 3DS and the ltd. edition Pokémon Sun and Moon 3DS and Pokémon Monopoly game

LeftRightUpDown Thu 03-Nov-16 05:12:41

Ds2 is 9 and doesn't play with toy's either. He also isn't really into anything.

Ds1 is 13 and "thanks" to his autism is so much easier to buy for.

So far for Christmas ds2 has put on his list...

Fifa 17, WWE 17, lego dimensions - although he has never been into lego and I suspect it will end up like Disney infinity last year and never played with.

...... and that is it!! No idea what to ask the grandparents to get him as there isn't much to choose from

Miastar Thu 03-Nov-16 11:15:19

Not much help for gifts, however we are similar and prefer gifts for days out to save the clutter in the house.

We are in Scotland so I am always looking for days out closer to home which is such a pain as I am really keen to go legoland but its just too expensive to get there sad

We have done Drayton Manor & Alton towers which is "only" just over 4 hours driving, stay in a local premier in with their cheap rates and it wasnt too expensive. Tickets are often on offer on kellogs packs.

Waterparks are popular with our kids, there is one in blackpool called Sandcastles which is meant to be good and one in Alton Towers.

Have you visited Landmark Forest theme park? Lots to do up in Aviemore and further up if your son is into outdoors activities.

I did look into the Legoland in Germany as it might be cheaper for us to do than Legoland UK. Or I would love a twin visit to Eftling & Duinrell in the Netherlands ( either fly or overnight ferry from Hull ).

Or go up north, lots to do there for day trips. I like booking cheap holiday deals for weekends away in caravans or lodges. Or look at Glamping there are a few close by I would recommend - Mains Farm Wigwams, Hilly Cow Wigwams are the ones I can remember the name of. HTH

whimsical1975 Thu 03-Nov-16 13:28:56

DS is now 11 but he sounds very similar to your DS... a few years ago he was obsessed with Skylanders (he still enjoys it actually)!! When he was 8 we got him a Wii and a Skylanders game set with remotes/portal etc for Christmas... it was such a hit!!!

Kirriemuir Thu 03-Nov-16 13:32:47

Thanks all

Still a bit stumped.

We've done Aviemore to death. I won't do M&Ds. I'll keep an eye out on the bargains threads. He's quite into pokemon at the moment so may be something will come up from that.

He wants an xbox in his room but DH says that will be over his dead body. He's really against it.

whimsical1975 Thu 03-Nov-16 13:51:09

Oh yes and Nerf guns!!!! We had a very strict rule in our house that no guns were allowed... and then when he was 8 granny went off and bought him his first Nerf gun... he now has almost every Nerf gun every made, but they've kept him and his friends occupied for hours!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now