Talk

Advanced search

Please recommend Christmas crackers

(17 Posts)
MTWTFSS Sat 29-Oct-16 12:39:07

Which are the best Christmas crackers?

Enkopkaffetak Sat 29-Oct-16 20:09:57

Depends on what type you are for.

they had one with a key to an aston martin I wouldn't mind having that one smile

Are you after family ones?

Teenagers?

Older people?

We bought some from Harrods a few years ago they cost £40 and my dh was shocked at the price. However we still have all of the gifts inside. So IMO paying a bit more was worth it.

On the other hand the Santa dash race crackes from Waitrose was pretty good fun too and only cost £10.

MTWTFSS Sat 29-Oct-16 20:56:07

Something fun sounds good smile Wind up vehicles of some kind would be great!

DeleteOrDecay Sat 29-Oct-16 21:08:16

Following as I'm tired of the same old tat we get in our usual crackers!

SilverGiraffe7 Sat 29-Oct-16 21:08:54

Racing penguins?! grin

Floralnomad Sat 29-Oct-16 21:13:03

My dsis has bought some that give you bits of a beetle drive game so you can play the game after pulling them , we've had the wind up penguins before .

squoosh Sat 29-Oct-16 21:15:17

You can buy a few small bits and pieces in Tiger and stick them into ordinary crackers.

Davros Sat 29-Oct-16 22:24:15

I just bought some from m&s - 3 for 2 and 20% off as well! I see they've got 30% off household stuff at the moment

sooperdooper Sat 29-Oct-16 22:26:16

I actually really like proper cheapo crackers with tat, a hat and a joke that probably makes no sense in, it's all part of Christmas fun imo smile

TheFallenMadonna Sat 29-Oct-16 22:29:22

Surely the ones with fortune telling fish?

recklessgran Sat 29-Oct-16 22:39:51

I've had expensive ones and cheap ones in the past. Without fail most of the contents are left on the table after dinner and end up in the "junk" drawer until that gets cleared out after a few months. I go for mid range now - you know the ones with the mainly metal gifts inside. Think I paid about £10 for six of those. Comfortable with that as they are good looking crackers that add something to the festive table.

TheSpottedZebra Sat 29-Oct-16 22:42:39

We always do the fill your own ones - so you just buy kits with hat, joke etc, and you just roll up the cracker and slot the tabs on, and fill it. Super easy, and better (for us) than silly plastic tat.

NB i could make my own from scratch but i am very lazy. And cack handed.

LBOCS2 Sat 29-Oct-16 22:43:52

I find that to get decent crackers you either spend £40 on them, or you spend £10 and another £30 on stuff to replace the original gifts with. Either way if you want ones with stuff you actually want in them, you spend lots!

civilfawlty Sat 29-Oct-16 22:45:43

I'm looking for bright ones, each a single colour, rather than patterned. My Nanna used to get something like them. They were a matt, creepy paper and maybe had something lacey or shiny at each end. Sigh. If anyone spots anything in that ball park, I'd love to hear it.

Ohyesiam Sat 29-Oct-16 23:13:08

civilfawlty
I know those ones, I loved then too!

BuntyFigglesworthSpiffington Sat 29-Oct-16 23:32:02

We go through boxes of Crimbo crackers over the Christmas period as the various small people in our family are obsessed with them. Quantity definitely overrides quality as far as we're concerned.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sun 30-Oct-16 08:13:06

I just buy the ones that look nicest (to me) - the stuff inside is all tat anyway. TBH I wouldn't want what they call 'luxury gifts' inside - half the fun of crackers is the plastic tat inside. Esp. a set of vampire teeth we once had...
I recently bought some nice ones from M&S - red tartan ends with pictures of either a robin or a stag in the middle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now