Advent calendar for 13 year old DS

(16 Posts)
Mirandawest Fri 28-Oct-16 21:43:41

Have got 11 year old DD a smiggle advent calendar and would like to get one for DS but am having problems finding something suitable. He isn't into Lego anymore sad or I would get a Lego advent calendar.

Any suggestions?

Enkopkaffetak Fri 28-Oct-16 22:20:01

There is a real gap in the market for boys this age. Last year due to a long discussion and what became a longstanding joke we got DS then 13 almost 14 - socks. We jokingly called it the Sockventcalander and He loved it. (Has said he would like it again this year - but not doing that)

This year we are going to do rugby stuff. He loves rugby so we are getting a load of mini rugby balls and some stuff that has to do with rugby (like tape and rugby studs)

However short of creating it yourself I really feel this is a place that needs investing in.

wannabestressfree Fri 28-Oct-16 22:21:31

It's a shame lynx don't do a mini bottle one.... mine go through a job lot of it!!

fourcorneredcircle Fri 28-Oct-16 22:37:15

On a whim I got this for a 14yr old boy who was staying with us last year... I told him it was supposed to be funny and that I just thought he'd like to enjoy being a big kid... he did... he also kept it hidden from show when mates came round ;)

www.amazon.co.uk/Kinder-Surprise-Friends-Advent-Calendar/dp/B00LGDETS4

fourcorneredcircle Fri 28-Oct-16 22:40:18

Also, these are pretty good I think. What 13 year old doesn't eat sweets?!

www.amazon.co.uk/Jelly-Belly-Christmas-Advent-Calendar/dp/B00LTQONQG

www.amazon.co.uk/Haribo-Advent-Calendar-300-g/dp/B0052VSMPC (The Haribo one might be a big babying looking)

Lemoncurd Fri 28-Oct-16 22:45:16

Oooh the Smiggle calendar looks great! Do you reckon it would be suitable for three children to share? or does it look like there will be quite a variation in gifts and end up being an unfair distribution? Can't really tell from the website.

Could you fill one yourself for your son?

PollyParrotsCrackers Sat 29-Oct-16 10:40:47

I got ds the Haynes radio advent calendar, you get different components to build it, hoping he likes it smile

Mirandawest Sat 29-Oct-16 17:14:37

Thank you for the ideas - I agree that a lynx one probably would go down well grin.

Will have a think about it - and could well do some filling of one myself smile

WeAllHaveWings Sat 29-Oct-16 17:24:00

ds(12) has a Lindt one, £10 in Tesco, he loves nice chocolate.

Enkopkaffetak Sun 30-Oct-16 13:40:02

I would not share a smiggle advent calendar. Far to much chance of inequality.

Lemoncurd Sun 30-Oct-16 17:00:52

Was actually in Smiggle today and saw a boy of about 13-14 get really excited about the advent calendar and telling a younger girl that he wanted one, made me think of this thread!

KC225 Mon 31-Oct-16 09:43:22

Wannabestressfree my DH was a boys secondary school teacher and would claim that LYNX asphyxiation and LYNX lung are the teacher health scares of the future.

Shemozzle Mon 31-Oct-16 10:16:24

Perhaps teenager should be the cut off from
expensive toy calendar to chocolate calendar! As it will become super expensive each year of you buy the grown up ones. It was only a few years ago that a 13 year old wouldn't have a chocolate one as too old for them. I'm not against all these adult ones etc but would he really be put out to only have a chocolate one?

Mirandawest Mon 31-Oct-16 11:49:33

I'll possibly get them chocolate ones as well - advent calendars are quite a big thing in this house grin.

I haven't got any new expensive ones for them in the past couple of years so as I've got DD one, I'd like to get DS one as well. Don't know yet what will happen next year.

LaChatte Mon 31-Oct-16 21:30:29

I've ordered the Smiggle one for 7yo DD and one for 14yo DS too. He's just about confident enough to ride it out iyswim?

imnervous Tue 01-Nov-16 14:30:42

Ooh watching with interest!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now