Talk

Advanced search

Amazon fire for kids

(14 Posts)
tanya1312 Fri 28-Oct-16 09:29:30

Hi want to get 4yr old a tablet, he has had a leappad and a kurio before, was considering another leappad.
But wanted to hear opinions on the fire for kids,
I know there is a 2 year guarantee, and a year free unlimited to apps, what is the payment for the apps after, is it individual pay as you but, monthly payment, yearly payment.
Want something that will last and grow with him
TIA xx

KC225 Fri 28-Oct-16 12:53:20

I got my 9 year old twins the normal kindle. Was on the waiting list for the cheap 49.99 one that came out last year.

Think it was a standard guarantee but I didn't check. They use it every day, DS for mineshaft and ribbon. DS for making miming video her and her friends are doing on musicality. The list of download and apps seem endless. I got so fed up with constantly being asked to download stuff (they are on a child lock so stuff can only be downloaded via my account) that they make a list and I download once a week. Never paid for anything. All free. Actually think we may have paid a fiver or so for mineshaft.

My DS smashed the screen during the summer and I wanted to know where and how much to be replaced. As stated in a previous thread, guy asked if it had knowingly being dropped, leaned on on got wet. I laughed saying my 9 year denys all knowledge of how it happened, he offered to replace it free of charge if I returnrd the old one. Sent me a brand new one with all his games transferred across.

Maryann1975 Fri 28-Oct-16 13:34:48

We got ds a normal kindle, think it was about £50 last year. It's been really for him, I bought him a cheaper cover for it, but he don't like it being on, so most of the time it's not in its case.
It does everything he needs it to do, although I did have to take the child lock bit off as he like ps to google stuff and search around the internet and he couldn't do that on the kids setting. He has loads of apps on it and I haven't paid for any of them, there are 1000's of free ones available.

YouCantBeSadHoldingACupcake Fri 28-Oct-16 13:38:52

My dc have the £50 regular kindle. The parental controls are excellent and Amazon kindle customer service is very helpful. It is miles better than the kurio, which they had before the kindle fire

Afo Fri 28-Oct-16 13:43:41

The kids kindle is reduced at the minute on amazon OP. I'm considering it.

JellyBellies Fri 28-Oct-16 18:00:12

My kids have the amazon fore for kids. They are 7 and 5. They work really well. All free apps, video, books. We are reading all the Mr Men books on them. Also you can set limits on it which I love. You can control how much they use and when. With different limits for weekdays and weekends.

tanya1312 Sat 29-Oct-16 07:01:44

I have looked at other tablets for him, but there always seems to be more apps then he is age ready for, but don't want him jumping to an iPad as yet (no offence to anyone who's little ones have one)

flutterworc Sat 29-Oct-16 07:20:08

DS (4) has had Kindle for Kids for 18 months - its brilliant. In addition to the fact that it's basically bombproof, has 2 yrs 'no questions asked ' guarantee and is easy for small people to work, it also comes with access to all the apps/videos/books you could ask for free of charge for a year (or at least ours did) which is brilliant - it's all the good expensive ones that you'd never buy otherwise. He's had so much use out of it. You can also personalise the usage - when it switches on and off, how long they can spend on each activity (apps/books/vids) and even if they have to have done X minutes of reading beg they can hit up the good stuff. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Turnbacktime101 Sat 29-Oct-16 07:32:27

The Amazon fire is reduced to £75 at the moment, is that the best price I can expect?

Oh2beatsea Sat 29-Oct-16 22:03:18

Following with interest

LyndaNotLinda Sat 29-Oct-16 22:06:09

DS has a Fire and it's brilliant. He plays games on it, watches stuff he's downloaded from iplayer and watches youtube (when we're on wifi). My only complaint is that it takes a long time to charge but we plug it in when we're in the car so it doesn't run the battery down

Chilver Sat 29-Oct-16 22:13:19

It's brilliant. Only complaint is that you can't easily download content to watch off line I.e. on car journeys. You need to be on WiFi to access all content. But overall, excellent purchase for my now 4yo.

idontlikealdi Sat 29-Oct-16 22:16:20

DTs are 5 and have the kids fire. It's good but they like youtube and for them to access them from the kids profile you have to download and approve every video and add it their prior - you can't put youtube kids on the kids profile.

Apart from that they're great, think we paid £49.99 on a special offer.

idontlikealdi Sat 29-Oct-16 22:17:40

Chiller we download content from CBeebies so it's stores and watch that on the long haul drive to France. Bought SD cards to expand memory.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now