Talk

Advanced search

A toy for a boy who likes putting things in their place (if that makes sense!)

(11 Posts)
Namechangenurseryconcerns Thu 27-Oct-16 17:11:04

Ds (4) is very keen on things fitting in thier correct place-for example he keeps the moulded plastic packaging his little cars or figures come in and likes fitting them back into it.
This sometimes causes trouble if the packaging isn't particularly sturdy so was wondering if there was any kinds of toys where fitting things into position was involved?! Obviously jigsaws but he likes the toy element too.

insan1tyscartching Thu 27-Oct-16 17:36:18

Would he like Gears, Gears, Gears? plenty to fit together there.

SpookyMooky Thu 27-Oct-16 17:40:01

How about a peg board or hama beads, with lots of designs to copy?

If you want to extend him to something a bit less structured he might enjoy sorting a big pile of buttons or screws into an old chocolate box or one of those divided boxes for screws etc or embroidery threads. This might sound a bit weird but it has way more appeal to my DS than batman figures etc! He adored his pegboard at that age but needed designs to copy.

wobblywonderwoman Thu 27-Oct-16 17:42:46

If you google for STEM toys you might come up with something.

'Tap tap' art is lovely (Amazon)

Namechangenurseryconcerns Thu 27-Oct-16 18:10:01

Spooky-that sounds like something he'd enjoy (and me if I'm honest!)
Not sure about construction type things-he's not that fussed by lego etc.
Peg board with patterns might be good thanks

SpookyMooky Thu 27-Oct-16 18:41:21

Ooh ooh what about that one from the 80s where you had to fit the different shapes in against the clock, and it chicked them all out if you didn't make it? It was called something like Frustration, maybe starting with a D? There are quite a few re-issues of old classics about, although they tend to be lower quality, but might be worth a look. Though the timing aspect may just annoy him.

A bit random again but screwball scramble also appeals to DS - it's not that close to your brief but it's completing "tasks" and quite satisfying in that sense. Logic tasks such as Traffic Jam might also appeal, maybe when he's a bit older.

SpookyMooky Thu 27-Oct-16 18:43:15

Looks like the game I was thinking of is Perfection smile

imsorryiasked Thu 27-Oct-16 18:55:24

How about something like this? Trucky . They have lots of other toys and puzzles and you can search by age range or skill type.

Namechangenurseryconcerns Thu 27-Oct-16 19:04:40

Ooh - 2 good ideas thank you! I've ordered a cheap (probably poor) imitation of perfection as a stocking filler and will have a good look at the trucky one.

herecomesthsun Fri 28-Oct-16 02:03:59

What about Rush hour - have to move cars slotted in together so that you can move another car through?

Also John Adams Hot Wires circuits - you fit the pieces together effectively to form a circuit, would suit an older age group too, but we gave it to DS when he was 4 or 5.

NotWeavingButDarning Fri 28-Oct-16 02:19:27

Doesn't exactly fit your toy remit, but my DS is also this way inclined and one of his absolute favourite possessions is a fishing tackle box with loads of compartments that he can sort things into.

He totally loves deciding what to put in it and periodically takes everything out to reorganise it confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now