Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay for winder wonderland???

(20 Posts)
Dickorydockwhatthe Tue 25-Oct-16 21:52:58

Ideally within walking distance or accessible by bus I don't really want to use the tube. Thankyou

Guitargirl Tue 25-Oct-16 21:56:27

Do you mean the one in Hyde Park? Is there a particular reason why you are going? I wouldn't plan a trip personally just for that - it's not great.

daimbar Tue 25-Oct-16 21:58:47

What's your budget? The closest hotels will be at Hyde park. The Hilton on Park lane is nice with a lovely bar but will be pricey.

Dickorydockwhatthe Tue 25-Oct-16 22:42:48

Budget isn't great £300. Is it really not that good??? We wanted to go mainly for that and then maybe visit the museums and that too.

Dickorydockwhatthe Tue 25-Oct-16 22:43:34

I wanted to take the kids for a special Christmas treat.

sparechange Tue 25-Oct-16 22:45:27

£300 for 1 night? How many rooms?
There are lots of hotels in Bayswater which are walking distance and a lot cheaper than the Park Lane ones
There are also a couple of Thistle hotels around Marble Arch which would be a short walk

sparechange Tue 25-Oct-16 22:47:00

Also look at the Pestana on Chelsea Bridge
There is a bus that goes from outside the hotel straight to Hyde Park. The bus would take around 20 mins, and the hotel is a lot cheaper than one near a tube or closer to Hyde Park

ninenicknames Tue 25-Oct-16 22:50:15

Good budget, Park Lane is obviously Mayfair so V expensive, Chelsea is good for bus trips in to central. Thistle on Marble Arch or stay in the City which is dead at weekends and will be cheaper but will close to all the museums, St Paul's, Monument etc

Take a look on laterooms.com

Secretspillernamechange Tue 25-Oct-16 22:52:22

There are loads of hotels around Paddington, all of which are a 10-15 minute walk to winter wonderland at most and will be a lot cheaper than Mayfair.

chowchowchow Tue 25-Oct-16 22:55:42

Try the Cumberland, Marble Arch. It's lovely and not unreasonable.
But I'm with the other posters... a short trip to WW would be ok but it shouldn't be the highlight of your trip. I felt it was a real let down. Super busy and super expensive !

icantbelieveitsnotchristmasyet Tue 25-Oct-16 23:56:50

We went 2 years ago after friends recommended it...was so disappointed. It's really really commercial, tacky and expensive. Not Christmassy, I'd never go back.

Dickorydockwhatthe Wed 26-Oct-16 00:03:31

Oh I think I am put off the idea now lol. Can anyone suggest an alternative Christmas experience bar going to Lapland itself lol. Money is tight at the moment but my friend wants to go but if it's really not that good I'd rather do something else and visit London another time. Will look up the hotels though.

Alorsmum Wed 26-Oct-16 06:43:21

How old are your kids? Is £300 your budget for the whole weekend including accomm or just hotel?

Alorsmum Wed 26-Oct-16 06:43:57

As £300 for one hotel room for one night is a generous not a tight budget

Guitargirl Wed 26-Oct-16 07:41:37

How old are your children? If they are still young (and still believe in FC) then there is Lapland UK? If your budget is 300 pounds a night then maybe a couple of nights in Center Parcs? I did that as a pre-Christmas treat last year and the DCs loved it - DS cried when we had to leave!

TaggieRR Wed 26-Oct-16 07:50:37

Lapland UK is lovely if you have younger children.

CwtchMeQuick Wed 26-Oct-16 07:55:11

I went to Hyde park last year with a 3.5 and a 3 year old. They loved it, there was loads for them to do. I booked the circus and the ice kingdom, we went to see santa and on some of the other rides. I'm definitely going back again this year.

ENormaSnob Wed 26-Oct-16 10:36:34

Centreparcs?

Dickorydockwhatthe Wed 26-Oct-16 11:20:55

£300 for 2 nights but tbf that's stretching it maybe I should consider longleat instead :-/ kids are 8 and 12 years old

Dickorydockwhatthe Wed 26-Oct-16 11:23:17

Ah centre parcs do they do Christmassy stuff there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now