Talk

Advanced search

Christmas brunch

(8 Posts)
wowwee123 Tue 25-Oct-16 15:50:37

So, every year we go to the in laws for Christmas dinner. Penned in for 3ish usually served no earlier than 5.

It's a beautiful dinner and i'm greatful of the annual invite however it's completely different to how my family does stuff and as there is only dp and i at home we dont bother with any food throughout the day and by dinner i'm over hungry and irritable.

Soo this year i was thinking of doing a Christmas brunch and inviting local family to pop in if they like.

Any good ideas of an easy brunch spread? I don't really like seafood so prefer not to include that.

Thanks.

Shemozzle Tue 25-Oct-16 16:52:14

As a kid, we always had a big breakfast brunch which was a traditional fry up. Bacon, eggs, black pudding, kidney, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, fried toast, jam, fruit juices, Buck's Fizz, tea and coffee. Sometimes croissants too. No opening tree presents until this big brunch.

With my own family I do the same, stocking presents and then big brunch before tree presents but our brunch has turned into what we have for any celebration breakfast, streaky bacon and American pancakes, with strawberries/blueberries, maple syrup and scrambled egg. We have proper tea leaf tea and fresh coffee, various fruit juice etc

wowwee123 Tue 25-Oct-16 16:58:49

ooh lovely ideas than you. i should have said as it will be kind of a drop in thing i dont really have any way of keeping things warm.

i'm thinking maybe cold meats e.g. salami, warm baguettes, pickled onions, cheese, nuts, bucks fizz and maybe prosecco?

been thinking about it all the way home grin.

yours sounds lovely!

Scentofwater Tue 25-Oct-16 18:18:01

How about adding some croissants and pain au chocolat or other pastries? You can get frozen ones to whack in the oven with the baguette so they'll be fresh and crispy.

Don't forget a couple of nice jams and marmalade. I think they look so pretty and jewel coloured in little bowls.

Maybe some fruit too?

Aftershock15 Tue 25-Oct-16 18:25:36

You could make Christmas muffins or breads - there are lots of American recipes on the net.

wowwee123 Tue 25-Oct-16 20:19:06

thank you for the ideas, these are great! i love jams and we're at Edinburgh christmas market just before so will be able to pick some up there.

Shemozzle Tue 25-Oct-16 21:18:52

You could precook American pancakes/drop scones and just pop them in the toaster each time someone wanted one. Or ready made waffles from the supermarket. And croissants only take a few minutes in the oven so you could keep all the toppings and things out and the packet and just throw in the oven each time someone drops in. Packets of part baked rolls are good for this too. And they are great to have lots in over Christmas as they have such a long date so you can stock up and not worry about running out of bread!

Shemozzle Tue 25-Oct-16 21:19:34

A Christmassy porridge or rice pudding in the slow cooker maybe? With apple and cinnamon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now