Which Tablet

(10 Posts)
nicsnac Tue 25-Oct-16 12:08:09

I know this is always a question that arises before the Christmas period! I would like to buy my 11 year old a tablet but think the IPAD is a bit too much. What do other kids use? He did have a Hudl2 but that died after just a year! I was looking at the Kindle Fire 8...any recommendations?

flapjackfairy Tue 25-Oct-16 18:21:11

I have a samsung galaxy and it is great

Fourormore Tue 25-Oct-16 18:26:10

I just bought the Kids edition Amazon tablet for my 10yo DS. I thought it might be too young for him but it's just the same as the adults one plus a case, plus decent parental controls, plus the kids subscription for a year, plus a great warranty and without the ads. You can decide how restricted the kids profile is or just let him use the normal adults profile.

TatteredOwl Tue 25-Oct-16 18:36:36

I bought a handful of the kindle fires some months back when they reduced them in a deal to £35 each. They're the same as the kids ones but far better value if you don't mind about not having a pink case and the kids app already downloaded

My DS also has a Lenovo. It's excellent and was about £80

ByeByeLilSebastian Tue 25-Oct-16 18:38:13

The amazon one is good.

I still love an ipad though, it's just so easy

SisterViktorine Tue 25-Oct-16 18:48:51

DS had a kindle fire last Christmas. I would say don't bother with the kids edition. DS is only 6 and found the kids interface too babyish. He quickly switched to just using my profile.

There is very little storage on the kindle- DS has about 10 apps and it is full. That is with a bumped up memory card in it.

It's robust and easy to use. Screen is nice and clear and it streams stuff from amazon prime/ youtube without problem. He plays with it every day and we haven't had a moment's trouble from it.

Non-the-less, if I upgrade him when he is a bit older I think it will be to an ipad.

yellowsun Tue 25-Oct-16 18:51:00

DS had a nexsus 7 which is good. We couldn't stretch to an iPad.

SisterViktorine Tue 25-Oct-16 18:52:20

I had a nexus 7 for myself and agree that is a very nice tablet.

Ceaser1981 Tue 25-Oct-16 18:56:22

I recommend samsung galaxy over the ipad. The main reason being if you want to add a memory card you can whereas you cant with ipad

SillyBub Tue 25-Oct-16 18:59:13

DD was bought a Lenovo last Christmas, it's great. So much so that my DM has since bought one and I am typing right here, right now on mine that I got for my birthday last week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now