Talk

Advanced search

What to get/ make hugely supportive family

(10 Posts)
ibelieveindragons Sun 23-Oct-16 15:17:32

My family (parents, aunt and uncle and grandparents,) have gone above and beyond this year supporting DH and me through a pregnancy and birth of our DS (1st one) I guess we're young-ish (though I don't feel it) and both on low incomes so I simply don't think we would of got through without them. (To put into context they have gifted in cash and gifts about £2000, and lent us a car.) however the emotional support has been priceless.

They love us so don't expect anything back but I want to try and convey my thanks some how this Christmas. We have little money so Christmas presents are usually a jar of homemade chutney (or similar) and a personal gift from a charity shop. (This always goes down well cos I put a lot of thought in, though I do get a bit embarrassed I can't afford proper presents.)

I'd love to make them something to do with DS, incorporate a picture of him or his footprint etc? I can sew, cook and am generally quite crafty. Any ideas please everyone? Thanks!

recklessgran Sun 23-Oct-16 16:22:45

Ahh, you sound so lovely. I am sure your family are very proud of you. As a grandparent myself I can tell you that you have already given your family the very best present of all! My own daughter was in a similar position and the first Christmas she gave us a photo album of the first few months of our grandson's life. She had written a little message under each photo from our grandson [even though obviously he couldn't express himself at this point].
As an example, under a photo of me smugly cradling the newborn DGS she had written " Gran just LOVES babies!" Another pic of DH showing DGS the bird table "Grandad loves feeding the birds-can't wait until I'm big enough to help him".
Anyway, I'm sure you get the idea. I promise you that even though DGS is 17 now this album is one of my most precious ever presents and still makes me teary when I look at it.

redexpat Sun 23-Oct-16 18:23:36

Photo calendar?

Kirriemuir Sun 23-Oct-16 18:30:30

A photo calendar would be good or a frame with a print of DS inside?

alwayshappy101 Sun 23-Oct-16 18:48:44

www.iheartnaptime.net/handmade-christmas-gifts/

Some nice ideas here.

ImperialBlether Sun 23-Oct-16 18:59:31

Honestly, I don't think they'd want anything. If my daughter or son had a baby it would be enough to know I'd helped out and to be able to spend time with the baby. A thank you is really appreciated, but a gift really isn't necessary. Maybe a card with heartfelt thanks? Or maybe invite them to your house for tea over Christmas - start a new tradition? Lots of homemade cakes and time with the baby - that would be perfect!

wonderingsoul Sun 23-Oct-16 19:07:42

Thats lovely.

What about a getting a white bauble then putting a paint footprint/handprint on it. Something personal that they will cherish im sure and extreamly cheap.

averythinline Sun 23-Oct-16 19:25:34

We have a picture a friend made of footprint/handprint it is lovely as he grows to see this reminder of when he was tiny .... So I would recommend it works as is so simple..... As your crafty you could always turn into appliqué /design...

ibelieveindragons Sun 23-Oct-16 20:07:48

Thanks recklessgran and everyone for your lovely responses and helpful suggestions. The picture book or calendar, and footprint bauble or picture are all great ideas. Also good to know what people would appreciate! Cheers!

Makemineacabsauv Sun 23-Oct-16 21:24:04

A local pottery painting place did hand and footprint baubles when my DC were babies - they were doing properly rather than me trying to get them done!! Lol! They still hang pride of place on my mums tree and sit in a special bowl at mine as I am scared they fall off tree and get broken!! I also got photos done and photo mugs. When DC were toddlers and able to 'draw' - aka mark make- they drew on paper which got made into mugs! You can also get tree decorations that are mini Xmas photo frames do could pop a photo on, or get the decorations that say Grandma/Grandpa/whatever on them. Or make a book of days out with DGC vouchers planning nice things for them to do. But I agree you've given them the best present ever already!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now