Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Telescope recommendations

(7 Posts)
Hygellig Fri 21-Oct-16 14:46:33

Can anyone recommend a telescope suitable for a 6yo? DS is space mad.

FadedRed Fri 21-Oct-16 14:53:27

I wouldn't recommend a telescope for a six year old TBH, I think you would be better with a good pair of celestial binoculars, maybe with a tripod stand for them too. Telescopes are tricky to set up and good ones are very expensive. Celestial are a good brand for celestial binoculars, which can also be used for bird watching etc. Just bear in mind that you need to take the weight into account with a small child.
Have you got one of the star gazing apps on phone or iPad? They are brilliant for identification of stars, planets and constellations.

FadedRed Fri 21-Oct-16 14:54:36

FFS bloody autocorrect!

Celeston are a good brand.

Mantis1975 Fri 21-Oct-16 15:46:15

Agree with FadedRed.
Unfortunately the cheaper telescopes are awful. The coupld we've had couldn't focus much beyond next door's chiminey.
The star gazing apps are superb though. Defiantly worth getting.

Mantis1975 Fri 21-Oct-16 15:51:26

Autocorrect is doing a number of everyone today! *Definitely.

InYourHonour Fri 21-Oct-16 16:46:44

I've bought my seven year old one from amazon Geertops or Greetops or something like that. It had the best reviews of telescopes in the price bracket.

Hygellig Sat 22-Oct-16 08:00:56

Thanks for the replies. Will definitely check out the stargazing apps. We live in quite a built-up area, so not sure how much we will be able to see with the light pollution.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now