Talk

Advanced search

Have you started stockpiling Christmas food yet? If so, what?

(51 Posts)
handsfree Thu 20-Oct-16 22:01:43

I've bought things like cranberry sauce, bread sauce, some extra bottles of soft drinks, two huge chocolate panettones(!) etc

Just looking for more ideas of things to buy this far in advance!

girlywhirly Thu 20-Oct-16 22:38:50

Ther's no harm in buying non perishable foods gradually. I've got two boxes of M&S chocolate biscuits as they were on special offer, and some of their neapolitan chocs for DH'S and my Advent calendar. If you can manage to keep things without opening them, and save some money when they are on special offers, why not?

You can buy anything in tins, packets, jars and bottles. Ingredients for Christmas baking, tinned fruit for trifles, long life milk and fruit juice in case you run out for example. If you are expecting guests it's good to have extra tea and coffee. Non food items could be foil, greaseproof paper for baking, packaging for food to be frozen, cling film, kitchen rolls. Also tissues, loo rolls, stain remover for carpets, washing up liquid.

WiltingTulip Fri 21-Oct-16 03:53:59

From here out I'll start collecting good nuts/cheese/nibble foods for when people come over.

HungryHorace Fri 21-Oct-16 06:27:19

I've got some M&S biscuits and some nuts. I'll be steadily buying stuff (by cashing in my Nectar points each time) now.

Pengweng Fri 21-Oct-16 07:08:08

I've so far stashed a few bottles of bucks fizz, some crackers, a box of biscuits, box of hotel chocolate chocs, choc coins and santas for the advent calendar. Also some soft drinks and bottled water. MIL and DM like fizzy water and i never buy it so bought some while it was on offer. Oh and I also bought some mini christmas puds from Aldi last week as they were suitable for vegans (DM).

I will pick up a few snacky bits each week from now on. Mainly nuts and crisps and after eights.

KC225 Fri 21-Oct-16 07:33:28

In Sweden but mum is sending over tubs of Roses and Quality Street.
Fondant icing for rosette ginger Christmas cakes.
Selection box of British sweets for kids
Should arrive today. YIPPEE

BiddyPop Fri 21-Oct-16 10:02:04

I have gotten a couple of packets of M&S gluten free chocolate chip cookies, and crackers. (We will have at least 1 GF attendee for DD's birthday party on Boxing Day - the only proper entertaining we'll do this year I think). I also put away 3 packs of nice M&S crisps that we love, for the same purpose (but they may get raided before then).

As I was in Brussels this week, I got a packet of dark chocolate that we all love, to put out in the cottage (they probably will be gone by the party). I also bought a pack of choc truffles for the office, to try (we have to bring back sweets to the office) and they are gorgeous, so I will buy a couple of boxes of those when I am out again in November for ourselves.

I have my half bottle of desert wine - as we never had a chance to have it last year. I must use that this year.

And I have a bag of breadcrumbs frozen, as we had the ends of a very nice cheesey bread going stale a few weeks ago and I crumbed it.

Chrisinthemorning Fri 21-Oct-16 10:26:45

So far just stockpiling Aldi Cremant de Jura fizz as it's our favourite and it was out of stock all last December!

wheatchief Fri 21-Oct-16 12:24:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

J0kersSmile Fri 21-Oct-16 12:42:58

I've bought tubes of smarties and various other chocolate bits for stockings.

From about now I chuck bits and bobs in like naice crisps, alcohol and chocolate in the trolley when shopping.

WhereYouLeftIt Fri 21-Oct-16 13:17:16

Bought my Christmas pudding from a food festival last month. Tub of Quality Street, box of After Eights and a half-price box of M&S chocolate biscuits safely hidden away.

Dionysuss Fri 21-Oct-16 18:12:33

I have a nice stash of wine and boxes of chocolates growing. Last year we recieved several unexpected bottles, this year I'll have something ready for emergency gifting.

I'll start adding extra drinks and nibbles to the weekly shop, but I prefer to get all of the Christmas Eve party food and Christmas dinner stuff in a single dedicated shop. I plan my list meticulously, then dh and I go to the late night opening at m&s food. We don't leave until everything is checked off my list.

One year I bought bits and bobs gradually and that was the year we sat down and realised we had no cranberry sauce. Sad times.

anyoldname76 Fri 21-Oct-16 19:20:20

i start tomorrow now its half term grin

smellylittleorange Sat 22-Oct-16 12:42:17

So far have bought and eaten a box of mince pies (do remember to check use by dates grin) a box of crackers and aldi Florentines ...had to quality test them!
We have one bottle of amaretto and one kir royale. Two more boxes of Florentines..a tin of Scottish biscuits (which could be used as a pressie) some more crackers , mini stollen and candy canes. I put them on top of kitchen.cupboard but may have to lock then all in shed as DH managed to convince me sooooo easily that we should eat the F lorentines last night. I may also have been Influenced by the free red wine from M and a which was a gift for ordering Christmas Food with them..did briefly cross my mind to put that away for Christmas too

smellylittleorange Sat 22-Oct-16 12:44:07

wheatchief can you tell me about your fizzzy red wine please ?

BaronessBomburst Sat 22-Oct-16 12:49:27

I always buy port in August/ September as that's when it seems to be on offer. I've started stashing fancy biscuits and nibbles too, and yesterday bought cinnamon and apple scented tea lights, and some snowflake napkin rings.

BaronessBomburst Sat 22-Oct-16 12:49:59

I'm collecting stocking fillers too.

SymphonyofShadows Sat 22-Oct-16 12:57:04

I have a tab for this on my spreadsheet so I tick off bits as I get them. I am getting a new fridge freezer soon, so once it's here and M&S start doing their offers on party food I will start stocking up on that. I've got some boxes of biscuits but haven't really started yet. I'm hoping that M&S do their weekly half price offers on boxes and tins of choc and biscuits as that was good last year for gifts and stockings.

Also planning to get Aldi to deliver a box each of their Pinot Grigio and Prosecco well ahead of time as it's drinkable, cheap and has free delivery.

HughLauriesStubble Sat 22-Oct-16 19:54:02

Christmas pudding, mega box of bombay mix and tub of christmassy oriental crackers stashed away here but may get rooted out and eaten before december

Thinking of picking up a frozen leg lamb soon too.

wheatchief Sat 22-Oct-16 20:12:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hels71 Sat 22-Oct-16 20:49:34

Bought two packs of Lidls little Xmas puddings today, and a bottle of Gluhwein..

wobblywonderwoman Sat 22-Oct-16 20:52:45

No sweet stuff early here.. I eat it all

So I have just bought a nice gold tin of m&s tea bags- they will be safe enough.

I will make mincemeat in early November so I will buy the fruit and nuts tomorrow for that and possibly cranberry sauce

Motherfuckers Sat 22-Oct-16 20:58:39

Yes, loads! But I don't live in the UK, so I buy ahead. I have roses/quality street, cadbury's advent calendars, twiglet's, pickles, chutneys. I will get the crackers when I go next month. I also tend to stockpile champagne as I always seem to buy it when they are in pretty tins.

torthecatlady Sat 22-Oct-16 22:30:03

We've bought big tubs of heroes and celebrations and a chocolate orange and locked them away.

Also still have quite a bit of champagne in the wine cupboard cellar.

Nothing else yet, but I must get a move on as dh and I have a homemade advent calendar and currently have nothing to fill it with!

Got a list in my head of lots of things still to buy, but mustn't overbuy like last year!

Bazoo23 Sun 23-Oct-16 18:13:21

Just started! So far got
- Tin of Celebrations
- Box of Miniature Heroes
- Tray of pretzels etc
- Big bag of cheese and chive potato snacks
- Pig in Blankets flavour corn snacks (DPs choice!)
- 2 x tubes of Pringles

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now