Talk

Advanced search

Stocking for elderly lady

(30 Posts)
secondhoneymoon Thu 20-Oct-16 19:23:57

I have been making a Christmas stocking for an elderly lady for years (she told me she'd never had one as a child so I've made one for her ever since). She always tells me it's the highlight of her Christmas. Problem is trying to think of something different. I don't mind having some repeats such as handcreams, soaps, notelets, stamps, puzzle books, naice food tins etc but am always on the look out for new ideas. Help please!!! Even if they are things I've included befor I'm sure suggestions will be helpful for others too. Thanks!!

StCecilia Thu 20-Oct-16 19:30:07

I used to do one for my Grandma - I'd put in things like nice biscuits, small bottles of wine, slippers, tea bags, voucher to go for a cream tea with me, Epsom salts (she hated 'posh' bath stuff).

What a lovely thing to do OP, it's normally the simple things which bring the most joy.

Mymouthgetsmeintrouble Thu 20-Oct-16 19:32:33

A chocolate orange , small puzzle books , nice pens

mamaduckbone Thu 20-Oct-16 19:36:01

That's so lovely!
What about nice t-bags, little pots of jams or marmalade, posh biscuits, a DVD of an old movie that she likes...

Allalonenow Thu 20-Oct-16 19:36:29

Christmas mug filled with tea bags.
Wooden tongs to get toast out of the toaster {from Lakeland}
Tape measure
Torch to go on keyring
Slice of fruit cake, M&S used to do these in a nice little box.
Lavender bags

wonderingsoul Thu 20-Oct-16 19:42:05

Allalinenow --- what would a old woman want a measuring tape for... thats really tickled me.

A iou voucher for a meal at a nice tea room..fancy lunch with you?

Photos frame with pictures of her husband children or you two together?

Find out her favourite film or book from when she was younger?

SealSong Thu 20-Oct-16 19:42:56

Nice tea eg Twinings earl grey; Does she have a pet? - cat/dog toy or treats; reed diffuser set; nice biscuits; small LED torch (always handy); some of these? - also look for other ideas on the Lakeland website.

AlbusPercival Thu 20-Oct-16 19:43:56

My granny has liked handkerchiefs a Minnie Mouse torch from pound land, novelty apron

Jenijena Thu 20-Oct-16 19:46:48

A little spice/cookery pot or something (i got something from the spicery a few years ago).

One of those miniature wind up music boxes (matchbox size)

A candle - and matches?

A reusable shopping bag

A packet of tissues

Miniature pots of jam/honey

Interesting tea and coffee

Miniature whisky/prosecco/alternative poison

SealSong Thu 20-Oct-16 19:52:38

Ooh I want some wooden toaster tongs! Off to look.

Leeds2 Thu 20-Oct-16 19:56:19

Christmas edition of a magazine.

Gloves and scarf.

A book.

Scented lip balm.

A fancy coaster.

One of those toasting bags so you can make toasted sandwiches in the toaster.

One of those contraptions that lets you make a dippy boiled egg in the microwave.

Christmas cookie cutters if she bakes.

A fancy mince pie.

secondhoneymoon Thu 20-Oct-16 19:56:35

Wow so many responses thank you ! I have put most of these things in in the past but guess I could reuse some of them. She doesn't drink alcohol and is diabetic but am thinking peppermint or camomile tea might be nice and some savoury snacks. She has a pile of unused puzzle books. She used to like embroidery, i often pit a little kit in but she struggles to sew now. Keep the ideas coming - other people will your ideas useful too I'm sure

Allalonenow Thu 20-Oct-16 19:59:54

*wonderingsoul"
So she can measure things of course!! grin
Like her knitting, or the space for her new washing machine, or how much curtain material she needs, or the hem of a skirt she is shortening.....

secondhoneymoon Thu 20-Oct-16 20:02:44

Toaster tongs are a good one! She can't sew any more so will give the tape measure a miss!!

OhMrDarcy Thu 20-Oct-16 20:04:39

Hand warmers
Magazine
New glasses case or new snazzy rope thing to hold her spectacles round her neck (I've clearly forgotten what they're called!)
Magnifying glass/sheet for the Radio Times
Nice pen & notepad for lists
Small box of chocolates

secondhoneymoon Thu 20-Oct-16 20:08:15

Hand warmers are a good idea (are they ok for diabetics? I know some things like that aren't). Like the idea of the snazzy rope thing for glasses (not sure what they're called either but now for ever more known as 'snazzy rope things'!!

TwigTheWonderKid Thu 20-Oct-16 20:08:45

Bed socks

Whatnot65 Thu 20-Oct-16 20:12:48

Really nice bed socks, diabetics can suffer from impaired circulation so keeping warm without the risk of burning from a hot water bottle is important.
Books especially if you know what type of story she likes. My Mum used to love Miss Read.
Nice pair of gloves, scarf etc.

Warl Thu 20-Oct-16 20:17:26

Aw that's a lovely thing to do, as a pp said it's the little things that bring so much joy.

If she used to enjoy sewing... we got my gran one of those wooden things with hooks around the top, can't for the life of me think what they're called??? She was made up with it as she'd had to give up sewing but found that easier to manage & see

Warl Thu 20-Oct-16 20:18:28

Ah French Knitting, good old google!!

secondhoneymoon Thu 20-Oct-16 20:18:28

I actually don't think I've ever given her bedsocks come to think of it

FadedRed Thu 20-Oct-16 20:23:50

Does she like watching the birds in the garden? If so, then a pair of binoculars, a decent quality but small and light to hold. Maybe with a bird identification book.

Allalonenow Thu 20-Oct-16 20:28:17

A tin of blowing bubbles stuff
Christmas brooch the more naff the better
Pack of cards
Can of dry shampoo
Glasses cleaning wipes if she wears specs

KanyesVest Thu 20-Oct-16 20:40:53

If she has an outside space, a little bird feeder. A little portable radio.

Howmanysleepstilchristmas Thu 20-Oct-16 22:31:27

Adult colouring book and pens
Magnifying light.
Necklace
Photo frame
Bud vase
Calendar
Old fashioned sweets
Ww2 cookbook or similar
Newspaper from day she was born/ married/ kids birthday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now