Talk

Advanced search

Disappointing online purchases

(15 Posts)
DiegeticMuch Wed 19-Oct-16 21:13:59

A couple of friends of mine refuse to buy presents online because they "like to see" the items. Some irritating things have happened this week to make me think that they're on to something. A package containing books and a calendar was left behind a large plant pot by a wellmeaning courier - it got drenched. And I ordered some posh chocolates that disappointingly, looked far less luxurious when they arrived than they did in the photo.

Anyone got any online disappointments to share?

I feel a shopping trip coming on. At least I can treat myself to a lunch as well!

ChristmasEvePJs Thu 20-Oct-16 09:49:02

Harry potter cinematic guide from the book people. It's tiny.

ShowMeTheElf Thu 20-Oct-16 09:52:02

Get a refund on the books and calendar.

I have had some disappointments but only on cheap/stocking filler type stuff. As I have so little time and loathe shops and crowds the occasional disappointment is totally worth it for me.

WatchingFromTheWings Thu 20-Oct-16 10:02:28

I've never had any problems with internet shopping (so far!!) but years ago I ordered from Studio Cards. Every item looked cheap and tacky when I got it so sent pretty much all of it back. Think I only kept the wrapping paper and cards. I'd been using Studio for 5 or 6 years and never had s problem before. Never used them again after that!

I do like shopping and looking when it comes to present buying. Then I look for the same item online and buy it cheaper elsewhere if I can.

DiegeticMuch Fri 21-Oct-16 08:08:09

I complained about the damaged parcel and got a full refund through this morning (just checked).

AdmiralData Fri 21-Oct-16 18:36:03

Power Rangers 'story' book and sword (green ranger) with sounds.
Absolute bollocks.
£7.99 plus a few quid for p+p on Amazon. Turned up after two weeks from a UK seller, broken and miniature! It was not advertised as miniature.
Avengers NERF bow for ages 6 and up. (Amazon) took 3 weeks to arrive, cost 25.00 and is too small for my 3 year old.
I do NOT recommend and back they must go.

QueenofallIsee Fri 21-Oct-16 20:31:07

Last years 'Avengers action figures' from Amazon..they were fake, damaged, all odd sizes so Thor was from Lilliput and Iron Man was Gulliver and in this weird plastic bag that smelled.

£20! they went back with a very snotty email.

I do the vast majority online - I generally know what i want to get, so check prices carefully. Superdry sizes are teeny, so that one was more a lesson learned than naything (My size 10 DD needed a medium!)

unicornsarenotjustforchristmas Mon 24-Oct-16 11:14:01

My books being left in the recycling bin but that not being mentioned on the card so when the recycling truck came.... bye bye books. Replacements have been sent but 2 are out of stock so that is a rather big disappointment sad
My benefit advent calendar arrived today and the box is tiny! So feeling a bit deflated over that.

Elizabethtailored Mon 24-Oct-16 13:00:32

Knackered looking zoella candle from Superdrug in ripped packaging. Can't give that as a present now and really boring having to trek to the post office to send it back. Yawn

carrotcakecupcake Mon 24-Oct-16 13:10:15

I buy a fair bit online but will sometimes try to have a look at it in-store first. My most recent disappointment though was a dress off eBay for an upcoming wedding. I have been asked to wear "gold" but finding a suitable maternity dress has been a nightmare. Thought I had found a great dress online but it makes me look giant, rather than pregnant - horrible cut! But at least it only came to a fiver and I'll probably re-advertise and sell on!

Disappointednomore Mon 24-Oct-16 13:17:06

Mermaid tail blanket for a child. The picture looked suitable for 6-7 year old but the reality would barely fit a two year old

RebootYourEngine Mon 24-Oct-16 13:18:44

The one website thatbi always get disappointed when ordering from is 'not on the high street' the products look beauiful but they are always so small. Ordered a notebook from there last year and it had about four pages in it.

SlatternIsTrying Mon 24-Oct-16 17:58:38

I came on to say notonthehighstreet too.

I have bought a couple of things over the years and every flipping time it has arrived and it is small.

The final straw was the grannie and gramps personalised canvas bags, you would be lucky to fit a mars bar and a can of coke in one.

I haven't bought from them since, although the adverts still look lovely.

MothersGrim Mon 24-Oct-16 21:52:40

I spent a fortune on a lovely personalised card from notonthehighstreet and it was tiny. I was really embarrassed giving it. Also bought a locket from there as a gift. Was really cheap and awful, gave it to a charity shop rather than give it as a present.

BoinkAlongQuietly Mon 24-Oct-16 21:58:04

I ordered an "emergency gravy boat" on Ocado once and it was an individual gravy boat so was very tiny. FFS who has individual gravy boats.

And I once ordered mega marshmallows from Ocado thinking that nothing advertised as mega in the UK is actually mega (when compared to the US style mega, for example) the fuckers were enormous, like fucking apples.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now