We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what advent calendar did you get last year and do you recommend it

(36 Posts)
Mylittlelights Wed 19-Oct-16 18:30:47

Adults and DC please

I was thinking body shop and lego but need more ideas please.

Nearlyadoctor Wed 19-Oct-16 19:26:33

Smiggle
Tesco have a Hot Wheels one for boys.
Happyland
Playdoh
Playmobil
Beer
Gin
Pork scratchings
Molton Brown
Hotel Chocolat

Mylittlelights Wed 19-Oct-16 20:02:17

Pork scratchings shock

bimbobaggins Wed 19-Oct-16 20:14:49

I don't know how to do a link but I posted recently about the boots sanctuary.

25 each but in the 3 for 2 so two for 50 but an extra 10% off online which equals only £15 each

Mylittlelights Wed 19-Oct-16 20:31:03

Just seen the Yankee candle one for £20.

graphista Thu 20-Oct-16 00:58:09

Is there a thread running with links to beauty/make up ones? My daughter's 15 and has never been a big choc person but loves make up now

Mylittlelights Thu 20-Oct-16 11:15:21

Bump please for more replies.

shumway Thu 20-Oct-16 11:20:13

I've had ones from Hotel Chocolat and Thorntons. My favourite is the Lindt truffles one.

Nearlyadoctor Thu 20-Oct-16 11:48:39

Am I'm being dim, or has this thread changed its title?

Nearlyadoctor Thu 20-Oct-16 11:51:13

I'm sure it was originally asking for links / ideas for different advent calendars...... Why not just start a different thread??

bimbobaggins Thu 20-Oct-16 12:06:34

nearly ,I'm sure it did originally ask for links because I posted I didn't know how to link . I've just bought a Thornton one in Asda this morning. Was £ 7 but has a different continental chocolate in each one. Looks nice

Mylittlelights Thu 20-Oct-16 23:03:13

Sorry for confusion, MNHQ changed the title for me as I really should of said I wanted to know if any of them are worth the money or not.

I like the body shop ones but £80 seems a lot to chance it.

CotswoldStrife Thu 20-Oct-16 23:09:50

DD has loved the Lego Friends one for the past few years, but this year we've got a Smiggle one for her.

I like the look of the Lindt ones. Have never had a beauty calendar, think they look fab but I have quite sensitive skin so it would be annoying to have lovely stuff that I couldn't use!

avamiah Thu 20-Oct-16 23:16:46

Hi Mylittlelights,
My daughter is the expert on the advent calendar and she thinks the Barbie one is pretty amazing as you get shoes and bags and clothes for Barbie in it and a chocolate.
Also she likes the Lego one but thinks the Hello Kitty calendar is boring as its just chocolates. haha
Hope this helps.

avamiah Thu 20-Oct-16 23:19:13

£80 for Body shop calendar.
No,I wouldn't pay that .
That is far too expensive .

Justtrying Thu 20-Oct-16 23:19:25

Neuhaus Belgium chocolate the last few years as always in Brussels in December.
But Smiggle for Dd this year, L'occitane for dm, also treated myself too and Wera tools for dh and ddad, waiting for No7 for dsis.

Hoping everyone enjoys.

Mylittlelights Thu 20-Oct-16 23:28:40

I like the Wera tools one not sure if it would be aprecated, will have to think about that one he would also like the Lindt one but if Thorntons is cheaper he can have that instead grin

Barbie is an option for youngest but I think she would like Lego or Smiggle more.

Older DD had a make up one last year and was disappointed so I need to choose more carefully this year.

Mylittlelights Thu 20-Oct-16 23:29:17

Sorry, I was meant to of put Thank you to you all at the top of last post blush

FormerlyCatherineDeB Fri 21-Oct-16 08:00:47

I had a loccitane one and thought it was fab. Lots of nice travel sized things, having said that we haven't been away much this year, moved house and been ill, so I am not sure it feel the need for one this year.

DD always has a lego city one and has had a Schleich Bayala one for the last few years but is outgrowing Schleich so I have bought her a Tinc one.

DH gets a crate of 24 bottles of St Peters Organic Best Bitter, wrapped with doors cut on the box ... although bottles have to share a door grin.

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Fri 21-Oct-16 08:15:08

The matalan teen beauty one was cheap but not all that last year. Someone got me the Yankee candle one and I don't think I could smell a single tea light - much rather had got a full size Xmas candle.
Think I prefer chocolate ones overall.

RockyBird Fri 21-Oct-16 08:23:17

A good 15 years ago I got a felt Xmas tree shaped one with pockets you fill yourself.

Back in the day I filled it with 2 celebrations chocs in each pocket for DH and I. Now each pocket gets 2 sweets the kids like (2 kids). It could equally be filled with MLPs or Shopkins etc.

For something that cost me a fiver in Debenhams all those years ago it has done well. Still looks good.

FormerlyCatherineDeB Fri 21-Oct-16 08:26:42

We have got one of those Rocky, bought in a German market in about 2005. I get that one out as well filled with Divine dark chocolate coins.

We have advent calendar overload here. The tree goes up on 1 December, we have people round on the first weekend of December and embrace Christmas for the whole month!

RockyBird Fri 21-Oct-16 08:30:18

Germany is the place to get advent calendars. I was there a couple of years ago in the run up to Xmas and the selection was huge.

Not handy for everyone I admit grin

FormerlyCatherineDeB Fri 21-Oct-16 08:33:17

grin, I would love to go back Rocky! I keep looking at the calendar, there is a whole week before Christmas school holiday wise this year.

If I could get a bargain somewhere I would love a night or two in a European city.

RockyBird Fri 21-Oct-16 08:52:07

I went to Cologne. Loved the place and OMG the shopping!!

Been to Frankfurt many times but that was my first time in Cologne. Must go back sometime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now