Talk

Advanced search

Advent calendar advice

(9 Posts)
londonpia Wed 19-Oct-16 16:11:12

First world problem....

December 1st is DS2 birthday and he is MAD on Lego so I thought a Lego advent calendar would be a perfect gift. But I'm not sure what to do for DS1. He isn't into Lego much, he's more into football and computer games. (We don't have a console, but he's been hankering for one. He plays on his tablet). I feel bad if we get him a cheapo chocolate one (especially as he doesn't even like chocolate!), and his brother gets to open what is really in effect a toy every single day in December.

He doesn't collect Match Attax- he did the Euro stickers this year and it cost a fortune so I don't want to steer him toward that. He has Subbuteo so I thought of getting him a couple of teams and some extras but then I'm look at £30 plus! And he doesn't even play Subbuteo much!

So, any ideas? He is 8, btw.

Nearlyadoctor Wed 19-Oct-16 16:32:59

Any good?

www.tesco.com/direct/hot-wheels-advent-calendar-exclusive-to-tesco/488-8372.prd?skuId=488-8372

londonpia Wed 19-Oct-16 17:58:25

That would be great- for my youngest! He's have loved it a couple of years ago but he's gone past the playing with toys stage. He loves games, football, quizzes, and likes drawing but not to the point where I'd consider a Smiggle calendar!

Cheerybigbottom Wed 19-Oct-16 18:08:40

There are £5 haribo calendars in b&m which have little packs of sweets every day, or a swizzles one with sweets. He may feel that's better than little choc calendars.

I'm cheap so I got my son the wilko blox fake Lego calendar for £5.

When I think about it there's quite a gap between young kids calendars to adult calendars. Girls have beauty calendars to fill the gap but after Lego and playmobil what do boys get? hmm

ChippyMinton Wed 19-Oct-16 18:25:32

Buy a refillable calendar and choose little treats to go in it. Or for larger in size treats, pop a note into the drawer.
Stuff like novelty erasers, mini pens, bouncy ball, team key ring, stickers, edibles, mini playing cards,

missnevermind Wed 19-Oct-16 18:46:21

I bought the blox one too this week.
How about a hanging pockets one and put him in some tiny presents and sweets every day

missnevermind Wed 19-Oct-16 18:47:45

Mind you B&M were also doing whisky and vodka ones.

Nearlyadoctor Wed 19-Oct-16 19:07:47

I think tbh if he's really not interested in toys and DS 2 birthday - I'd leave it at that and get him whatever advent calendar he normally has. It'll make it more special for Ds2 birthday as well. I think that at 8 yrs old it's quite sad he's not really into any toys ( that's no reflection on you op, more the way society/ technology has evolved )

londonpia Wed 19-Oct-16 19:50:57

Thanks all for your suggestions, I think I will go for the make-your-own-and-fill-it-with-tat option, and the vodka one for me!

Nearly, to be fair to DS1, he would much rather kick a ball outside all day long if he could, or sit and play a game with us (he is currently playing Connect 4 with DH!). We've managed to avoid any console purchases so far which I don't think is bad going!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now