Talk

Advanced search

Shopkins - help!

(11 Posts)
Clarabell33 Wed 19-Oct-16 12:21:37

Recently asked a friend what to buy their daughters (6 and 9) for Christmas. Apparently they are both really into Shopkins. Asked for clarification - anything specific we should get, or avoid if they have it already... No further details forthcoming, it was the limit of our friend's abilities to name the brand (he may have described them as 'useless, pointless, godforsaken bits of rubber shite', but that didn't help).

So does anyone have any recommendations for what specifically to buy? Budget is about £20-£30 each, doesn't have to all be on Shopkins but then if that's what the girls are into, I'd rather not waste money on nice but generally unwanted gifts. I did google but until I can get to a shop and see them in the rubbery flesh, I am still at a loss as to what they actually are or do, and what sort of pack or whatever we should go for! DH is happy to spend say half the budget on shite Shopkins and give them cash or vouchers as well, but that still leaves us no further forward... I just want someone to give me a link to two different yet equal items so I can go order!

This was a lot easier when they were both into Lego last year...

Tomorrowillbeachicken Wed 19-Oct-16 13:24:48

Shopkins are small collectable figures. Personally if getting these I'd go for the exclusive sets if Toysrus has those but every set is different anyhow as they tend to be randomly allocated.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Wed 19-Oct-16 13:29:07

Some of DS' shopkins. There are also new home sets out atm or travel back and get the earlier sets if you see them.

DubiousCredentials Wed 19-Oct-16 13:29:51

For that kind of budget I would get a £10 set of Shopkins and a £10 Amazon/Argos/Toys R Us voucher to put with it.

DubiousCredentials Wed 19-Oct-16 13:32:03

Like this

idontlikealdi Wed 19-Oct-16 13:34:25

I would get say 5 packs of the 2 shopkins because that's all about the surprise and then get either a voucher or shopkins soft toy to top it up.

DTs are into the useless pieces of plastic tat and have the house and sweet cart or whatever it is but never use it, they like to open, play and then lose them.

ThanksForAllTheFish Wed 19-Oct-16 13:36:03

It's very hard to know what to go for when you don't know what sets they already have. I would look at somethings like shopkins cool cards kit or similar kit

Maybe the new Shopkins popit toy so they can make their own shopkins (DD is after this).

Argos do the big 20 packs too but you do risk them getting ones they may already have.

Geoff0409 Wed 19-Oct-16 13:37:19

Hi Clarabell
My daughter, who is 9, loves Shopkins, and I do not know how she keeps track of which ones she has and which ones she doesn't. The packs tend to be a bit random as to which ones, you get - of course with the same few being in multiple packs!
Just to make it confusing they also do themes - such as food items, clothing - all sort really.
I would ask your friend if you could buy them a voucher each for Smyths Toys, if you have one nearby, as they tend to have a better selection and prices than Toys'R'Us (at least locally to me they do). They can then get whichever ones they like. £20 each is more than enough I think.
Good luck with it all xx

daisydalrymple Wed 19-Oct-16 13:41:55

I too would recommend the shopkins card making set. If you look on Amazon (card set cheaper in there), you can get a collectors handbook, colouring sets, pencil cases etc. Better than duplicating any of the sets they've already got.

Notgoodtogo Wed 19-Oct-16 13:51:49

You could do shopkins hamper/stockings - a pack of shopkins and then other bits from various shops. I bought a shopkin calendar and a lovely shopkin 3D puzzle in pound land today. I also bought a £3 shopkins cushion from there, but if sold out they had some recently in the entertainer for £5. Pound shops also have Shopkin sequin art and colouring. And the works has giant Shopkin activity crackers, which look impressive although I don't think the contents are necessarily that brilliant.

Clarabell33 Wed 19-Oct-16 14:06:53

Thank you all! That make-your-own set looks fab, we do normally buy them something crafty as well so that will tick both boxes. Love the hamper idea but tbh I'm trying to avoid having to go to an actual shop grin I end up going way over budget and as there are a few extra people to buy for this year, that's not a great idea. Now onto the rest of the list...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now