Talk

Advanced search

Present ideas for 73 year old parents

(21 Posts)
piedpiper4 Tue 18-Oct-16 20:48:46

I'm looking for ideas for presents for my parents who are notoriously hard to buy for! They're both 73, tee-totallers, have everything they need and want for nothing. I'm looking for something special. a little out of the ordinary that they wouldn't think of spending the money on themselves.
Last year I paid for them to have a special meal on a steam train as my Dad has a thing for trains and had been desperate to visit that line.
This year I haven't got a clue. Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks.

VanellopeVonSchweetz99 Tue 18-Oct-16 21:16:15

Do they read? Kindles?

ChristmasEvePJs Tue 18-Oct-16 21:52:17

Patio heater for spring
Theatre tickets
Night/weekend away?

RatOnnaStick Tue 18-Oct-16 21:53:51

National Trust or English Heritage membership?

CantSleepClownsWillEatMe Tue 18-Oct-16 21:54:19

Hotel break maybe?

annandale Tue 18-Oct-16 21:58:26

A day trip or weekend away all together? - do they like gardens, so something like RHS Wisley? Time together might be what they'd really like.

KC225 Tue 18-Oct-16 21:59:29

Sent 82 year old mum a box of gourmet marshmallows. She loved them. Exy (pricey but worth) but scoffed as opposed being stuffed in a cupboard

ShesAStar Tue 18-Oct-16 22:02:34

I would buy tickets to their favourite band/group if they're touring or ballet/opera tickets. Theatre to see a play or musical.

If they like animals maybe a zoo experience like feeding the lions?

NotAMammy Tue 18-Oct-16 22:10:16

I'm seriously considering getting my Mum a christmassy fireguard. As mentioned elsewhere I'll be making her a crate of food and christmassy goods too.

We're also paying for her to go to European Christmas markets with some friends.

piedpiper4 Tue 18-Oct-16 22:14:58

All your ideas are great, thanks. I'd love them, but they wouldn't, unfortunately! They are real home bods for the most part, so a weekend away won't work, they have all the electrical stuff (kindles/tablets etc). They're not interested in fashion, don't collect things and did all the adrenaline stuff in their youth... Balloon rides, learnt to fly (planes and gliders), sailing. Done all the London tourist bit, seen most of the London shows. You name it. They are just generally very difficult to buy for! I can't even begin ok them a naice cream tea somewher as Dads diabetics! Help faithful mners, I need your guidance.

piedpiper4 Tue 18-Oct-16 22:16:08

Sorry for the typos. I fear my iPad may also be feeling the strain.

ShesAStar Tue 18-Oct-16 22:35:44

What about one of those monthly food subscriptions? Beautiful chocs, coffee etc delivered once a month? Do they like the garden? A fig, bay, olive tree?
A newspaper from the day they were born?

doodlejump1980 Tue 18-Oct-16 22:44:34

I gave my parents a birdbox with a wifi camera in it a few years back. They loved it- especially when it came up spring and they could watch a family of blue-tits and their 9 eggs grow and eventually fledge! They could watch it through their tv. They became very protective of their wee birdies. smile

NotAMammy Tue 18-Oct-16 23:02:04

Oh doodle, that sounds lovely!

Leeds2 Tue 18-Oct-16 23:29:43

Doodle's suggestion sounds lovely!

What about a garden bench, bird bath or bird table?

Or a day at a cookery school? Lots of hotels run these. Ditto with wine tasting sessions.

piedpiper4 Wed 19-Oct-16 07:28:04

Doodles idea sounds wonderful. I can see them really enjoying that. Thanks guys.

Enkopkaffetak Wed 19-Oct-16 15:05:00

We are getting 89 MIL one of These Tea Flasks

DD1 and dh both have one and yes expensive but they are amazing for keeping drinks hot.
So perhaps that with some nice tea?

OdinsLoveChild Wed 19-Oct-16 15:10:18

I bought my in laws a gift card for their local supermarket. They can use it online or in store. I have previously paid for a cleaner and gardener for them too. Most small businesses will do short term contracts. An expensive car valet ?
I also bought an mp3 player from www.pastperfect.com/ pre loaded with all their old music.

HairsprayBabe Wed 19-Oct-16 15:13:18

My grandparents are a similar age, and I always do them hampers of nice home made foodie things and a photo in a frame from the year. Always goes down really well and you can tailor it to things they like.

NorbertDentressangle Wed 19-Oct-16 15:19:01

magazine subscriptions for each of them?

FurryDogMother Wed 19-Oct-16 15:32:58

A few years back I got my Dad an electronic photo frame, loaded with photos of all the family and his favourite places. He really enjoys it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now