Talk

Advanced search

Any good ideas for an 8 year old boy?

(31 Posts)
PoldarksBreeches Sat 15-Oct-16 16:14:54

Main present; budget £50-60.
He has put an Xbox on his list but despite them being in budget (2nd hand) I really don't want to get him one. He has a wii, a ds and a kindle fire which I think is enough.
We don't have tv channels with adverts so he hasn't seen anything to be impressed by and put on his list. His list is things like new goalie gloves, not a 'thing'
He's football mad and loves being active. We have a garden but he doesn't go out much in winter so nothing that needs to wait for warm weather to be enjoyed.
Any ideas of a really cool, fun toy that he will genuinely play with for more than 5 minutes?
Thanks!

MaryDoll84 Sun 16-Oct-16 14:44:31

I was going to suggest a football goal for the garden but that would be more of a Summer toy.How about an electronics set like Hot Wires or one of the k'nex rollercoasters??Or a gaming chair for when he's on the wii?I have two boys, 7 and 8 so racking my brains too!

MaryDoll84 Sun 16-Oct-16 14:48:48

Or a football games table (those ones with the football players on metal poles,about the size of a kids small pool table) can get them in argos with the folding legs for about 40-50 quid so it could be stored easily under a bed

missyB1 Sun 16-Oct-16 14:56:26

My ds will be 8 at Christmas. I'm getting him a sabbuteo type game, it's called "total action football" it's on Amazon. Or as pp suggested table football, oh and my ds loves air hockey too.

PoldarksBreeches Sun 16-Oct-16 16:02:50

Thanks folks. He has a football goal and a little mini table football. He's an only child so anything like air hockey isn't great as either I have to play with him or he has to wait for when he has friends over.
I will look at the subbuteo game.

Chocolatecake12 Sun 16-Oct-16 20:20:14

New scooter or skateboard?
My ds 9 wants heelys for his birthday. That's just before Christmas so I'm having trouble thinking of ideas too.
I usually get the guinness book of records, an annual, new hoodie, lego - this year some technic lego,
And after that I'm stuck!

PoldarksBreeches Sun 16-Oct-16 20:26:53

Are heeleys fun? I think he might like those.

TanteJeanne Sun 16-Oct-16 20:43:34

I would get him the Xbox. It is different from the other devices. He will get years of use out of it!!!! Most older boys have them. You can limit time spent if you think that will be a problem.
Why do you not want to buy him what he wants?
My boys just didn't play with the stuff I chose for them- e.g remote control tanks. I was left feeling annoyed - with myself for spending money on stuff they didn't ask for, that they didn't play with...

MaryDoll84 Sun 16-Oct-16 21:50:11

My son asked for heeleys a couple of years ago-he never got the hang of them and ended up taking the wheels out and using them as normal trainers, so in my eyes were a waste of money.Think it just depends on the child.Personally I'd rather spend the money on a skateboard as it's more or less the same thing but a lot cheaper

PoldarksBreeches Sun 16-Oct-16 21:57:40

I don't want to buy him an Xbox as a) I can only afford a 2nd hand and outdated model and b) he spends enough time playing on electronic games already. You may think that's mean but that's how I feel. I may get him an Xbox in a couple of years but at the moment I think he has enough.
That's why I'm asking about really cool toys that DS will actually enjoy playing with for a long time. I'm grateful for replies by the way! The fact that we don't have tv with adverts (Netflix and now tv) means he doesn't see the stuff that lots of kids have/want and nor do I.

Waterlemon Sun 16-Oct-16 23:12:41

I have the same views as you with electronic games/devices. I have 2 DS aged 7 & 9.

My 9 yr old has really enjoyed the "john Adams hot wires electrics set" that we bought him last year. Hot wires is misleading as the parts are all press studded on to a board. The set makes various things but the fm radio is quite impressive to other 9yr olds when they visit! I just wish there was an add on set I could buy him this year! It's played with most days.

The other things that are played with the most in this house are lego and those magnetic balls and rods - magnetix?? But Ive always bought them 2nd hand, I think you need quite a lot to make anything decent and you don't get very many when you buy them new.

We don't have one, but everyone that does has said a trampoline is the best thing they've ever bought.

PoldarksBreeches Mon 17-Oct-16 07:56:49

Thanks.
I get him a lego set every Christmas so he will get something to make. The Tesco double points event is really good for that as you can get very good sets for your points.
He has a trampoline but like lots of these toys only plays with it when he has friends over. It's hard with onlies to find the right thing. The electrical set looks interesting and I've never seen magnetix but I will investigate.

wonderingsoul Mon 17-Oct-16 08:01:45

Heellys are cool. Sports direct that do their own they have two weels built into the bottom off the shoe instead if one at the back. They take a while to get the hang off but my then 8 and 6 year old got the hang after practice lol and they last all year.

Pickitup Mon 17-Oct-16 11:25:39

Hoverball (an indoor football) has provided hours of fun in our house.
The simon game or bop it.
Marbles are currently very popular too. You can get old fashioned marble games which can be entertaining for this age.
My 8 year old is after a remote control car.

Juanbablo Tue 18-Oct-16 05:41:43

Marble run
Remote control car
Hot wheels track
Camera
Games like twister, operation, cluedo
Top trumps
Knex
One of those footballs on elastic that you step round your waist. Can't remember their name but I've seen them in decathlon and Argos
Football boots/astroturf trainers
Football shirt
Shin pads

blahblahblah2000 Tue 18-Oct-16 05:57:19

Heeleys are super tricky as they have to tilt their feet backwards to use the wheels. It took my 8 yr daughter ages to get the hang of it and she is pretty coodinated usually. My son now 8 can't use them first try so hasn't bothered (!)

KC225 Tue 18-Oct-16 22:35:39

Agree with blabla my 9 year spent birthday money on heelys and it has been the biggest waste of money. He has had them on about 3 times and makes every kind of excuse not to wear them

linandleo Tue 18-Oct-16 23:02:48

My 8 year old son would dearly love an X box and isn't getting one either.

He's also very into lego and knex. You can get knex that come with motors so you can make giant rollercoasters and the like. I know it's something he has his eye on.

Another thing on his current wish list is a GoPro. He's not got a hope in hell of Santa bringing him one of those but there are cheaper alternatives that look pretty decent. My son's a big cyclist so I can see him getting a lot of use out of one. He thinks he's Danny MacAskill, bless him.

HighDataUsage Wed 19-Oct-16 03:38:50

I have bought my ds for his Dec birthday the lego classic large bricks box for £27.99

www.tesco.com/direct/lego-classic-large-creative-brick-box-10698/256-4642.prd

im also buying him a make your own electronc car kit which someone on the bargain thread linked to.

OSETmum Wed 19-Oct-16 18:40:06

linandleo as the mother of another wannabe Danny Mac I'd say don't bother spending a fortune on a GoPro. DS (7) and dh both have them and they've been used a handful of times 😡. They're too busy actually riding to bother with them. Mind you they have used them when skiing and in the pool on holiday.

linandleo Thu 20-Oct-16 12:26:35

Thanks OSETmum smile There's no way he's getting an actual GoPro! I've seen a decent looking alternative for around £40 which me might get. To be honest, I'm sort of hoping it doesn't get used as I have visions of spending hours watching rubbish films of him bunny hopping around the garden or a playback of an entire 40 mile sportive.

PoldarksBreeches Thu 20-Oct-16 12:42:18

A fake gopro is an awesome idea!! I might go for that

Goldensolait Thu 20-Oct-16 12:43:29

Ds is also not getting anything electronic this year as he did last year and I'm sick of seeing his face stuck in a screen.

Trampolines are death traps. His friend managed to break his arm on ours the first week it was up shock Never again.

This year he wants football gear, a guitar (they can do lessons in school) and some lego. I got him proper walky talkies last year and him and his mates still play with them.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Thu 20-Oct-16 12:44:17

Hoverball (an indoor football) has provided hours of fun in our house.

Thanks pickitup I'd been looking at that and was wondering if someone was going to suggest it!

Second the electric set, unfortunately DS doesn't get to play with it much as baby DD likes to 'help'.

OP I've just bought DS (8) the Chrono Bomb game - it's basically a timed trip wire game thing it was £20 at b&m, looks like he can play with it on his own or with friends. Also the Mega Blu Ghost shooting game - it uses a projector to project 'ghosts' on the walls and they have to shoot them with a gun that keeps a tally. Again can play solo or take turns with friends although the room has to be dark.

Goldensolait Thu 20-Oct-16 12:47:01

thatwould, we got ghost hunt two years ago and the kids still play with it. And me smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now