Talk

Advanced search

Posh Crackers

(13 Posts)
tickingthebox Mon 10-Oct-16 14:40:16

I like to do something very naice at christmas, this year I'm thinking of posher crackers than normal. Has anyone seen anything nice around? Thinking of £100ish for 8...

wowwee123 Mon 10-Oct-16 14:41:52

could you buy some empties and fill yhem yourself with desirable items aimed at your guests?

tickingthebox Mon 10-Oct-16 14:45:14

I've done it before with miniatures, which was good.... I need ideas!!

These are a bit expensive BTW A mere £1000 per box grin

IamChipmunk Mon 10-Oct-16 16:20:06

Hotel chocolat do crackers. I have got them a couple of times, you get 3 choc figures in them, Xmas ones like a snowman and santa. Theu are around £5 each.

I'm considering empty ones this year that I can fill myself if I can find any that you don't have to make from scratch.

WellTidy Mon 10-Oct-16 16:27:30

You can get ready assembled ones that you then fill with your own bits. I've done this for a few years now, and you can make far more superior crackers than you would buy for the same amount of money. The ready assembled ones usually come with a hat and a joke. I've added a few celebrations chocolates, a scratchcard, a 50 ml shower gel or bubble bath (Body Shop do nice sized ones, or you could splurge on something like Molton Brown, or just save some miniatures from gifts with purchases or the luxury advent calendars. Other ideas are a keyring, miniature spirits, bottle opener etc.

John Lewis sell the ready assembled crackers or a website like Go Crackers.

bimbobaggins Mon 10-Oct-16 19:06:21

I absolutely love Christmas and don't usually mind splashing out but I think spending that amount on crackers would be a waste of money. Welltidys idea is good and you can personalise them to each person.

PoppyPicklesPenguin Mon 10-Oct-16 19:16:59

I'm making my own this year, I brought a cracker kit for 1.99 on Amazon, for snaps, hats and the actual cracker and I'm using sticky back velvet to cover and printing out my own jokes/personalised messages. Last year I just brought "posh" ones in the January sale and dismantled them but feeling a bit more adventurous this year.

If you know people quite well could you put in make up items? I have brought benefit samples which are a little bigger than the normal sample sizes and then sachets of sanctuary cream.

Mini lego kits go down well

Smelly rubbers (of the pencil erasing kind wink)

i do end up spending a bit more, but i add into my gift list and so much better than another mini screwdriver set or something silver plated that you get in the "posher" one

I've also thought about doing a bit of jigsaw pieces in each one, so that people then work together to put together the picture which would be of a previous family Christmas (think this would be quite cool as an advent calander as well, but a map with an X marks the spot or something)

PoppyPicklesPenguin Mon 10-Oct-16 19:20:49

Just clicked on the f&m link that's kind of how I have in my head mine will look assuming I dont have wine before I make them

Like the idea of fabric hats, may attempt some of these what a great idea!

wowwee123 Mon 10-Oct-16 19:43:49

who are they for? could do gift vouchers, make up brushes, mini nail varnish sets, gold leaf playing cards, lottery tickets.

i saw some fab ones the other day but think they were in the 1k price range too.

purpleladybird Mon 10-Oct-16 20:06:30

Poppy I love the jigsaw idea! I may buy a festive jigsaw and make it then put an area of it in each cracker so everyone has a bit to do on their own then come together to make the whole picture.

PoppyPicklesPenguin Mon 10-Oct-16 20:18:45

Cool I'm so glad you like it, I've not told anyone as wanted it to be a surprise but I thought it was a nice idea.

Not sure what picture, as would need to be with everyone - I love the idea of people trying to work out what it is and one of the children saying "nanny I've got your head"

Davros Mon 10-Oct-16 23:35:50

Liberty do nice posh crackers, not sure if cost but I do t think as much as F&M. And then there's Asprey.,,,

tickingthebox Wed 12-Oct-16 15:50:52

Thanks guys - I was struggling to find anything - now I know why - back to the make my own drawing board!!

Now then what to put in???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now