Talk

Advanced search

What are your 4-5 year old boys getting?

(24 Posts)
Chrisinthemorning Sun 09-Oct-16 19:20:29

Looking for ideas and bargains.
So far he has the Optimus prime that was on the bargain thread a while ago.
He's into space, Knights, Star Wars and Thunderbirds.

Indiaplain Sun 09-Oct-16 19:23:23

I can really recommend the Tracey island playset. DS got it for his birthday and has not stopped playing with it. The cheapest was £49.99 from Smyth's. I got the set of 4 vehicles for a bargain £11.99 on Amazon so worth Keeping an eye out (usually £22)

TellMeStraight Sun 09-Oct-16 19:25:04

What... Optimus Prime bargain?! Where??

I have no idea. Really struggling. Don't know whether to extend his farm/train set/hot wheels or think of something new. He'd really like a guitar but we can't decide between a cheap toy which will sound awful or a decent instrument which will blow the budget.

Jenijena Sun 09-Oct-16 19:26:23

Lego! He's into Lego and dinosaurs really, so we'll get him some Lego and a couple of model dinosaurs to add to his collection.

WreckTangled Sun 09-Oct-16 19:27:46

Ds will be four in November and has asked for everything he has seen on the tv hmm

Things he will probably get:

A skateboard
A ride on kids motorbike (one of those really ghastly things that he will love)
Hot wheels stuff
A game for the ps4 dh is buying himself

Dangermouse1 Sun 09-Oct-16 19:31:30

Tell me straight what is your budget? You can buy a real ukulele for around 25 pounds which sounds pretty good (well still sounds terrible when a 4 year old gets hold of it but in theory they could learn to play it when older)....My ds has played with his lots, although the first thing he always does is de-tune it before playing it.

TellMeStraight Sun 09-Oct-16 19:36:23

A ukulele did cross my mind. Otherwise we were looking at a £110 'proper' 1/2 size electric. Which wouldn't leave much for other stuff and would mean the two DCs piles would look really imbalanced. I might leave it for his bday. Or get a ukulele.

Chrisinthemorning Sun 09-Oct-16 19:41:04

The Optimus was an Amazon price drop and it was the one that is RRP £34.99, down to £9.99.
You could camelcamelcamel it and it might drop again.
I think Tracy Island is top of the list. We have thunderbirds 1-4 so far and I have 5 and S stashed for his stocking unless I need a decent bribe before then.
He's not that into Lego. Likes playing with DH's Star Wars Lego but can't build it and gets frustrated when it falls apart on him.
DH wants the Death Star- no chance!

MrsMulder Sun 09-Oct-16 19:41:54

Ds is getting a Thomas track master set (bargain £20 on Tesco) plus some bits and maybe a playmobil set (he wants the hospital)

twirlypoo Sun 09-Oct-16 19:55:58

Ds is getting a hatchimal so far..... and I am lurking here for more ideas as that is all the inspiration I have so far!

AnneGables Sun 09-Oct-16 20:07:09

Last Christmas ds was nearly 5, big hits were thunderbirds things, joke set, bike, Chewbacca teddy, games like kerplunk, top trumps, hungry hippos.

SpringerS Sun 09-Oct-16 20:25:45

DS will be 4 by Christmas. He is getting various Star Wars Playskool Heroes sets (like Imaginext), he has literally been planning to ask Santa for these since he first saw them on January 3rd. They are quite expensive but I got a bundle on ebay. As surprises he's getting a Hot Wheels Split Speeders set and a LeapTV and with a bunch of games (again bought as a bundle on ebay).

In his stocking he's getting a set of Rescue Bots (another ebay bundle), a couple of boxes of Lego Phonics books (DC Heroes and Star Wars), a Poe Dameron outfit, some Paw Patrol figures from aliexpress and some other stuff I'm making for him.

For his birthday next month he'll be getting a bundle of Imaginext space toys, like the really big rocket, smaller spaceships, astronauts and aliens (you'll never guess but I got them as an ebay bundle). I also know that some relatives will be giving him other Imaginext sets like DC Hall of Justice/Doom, the Power Rangers Megazord and the dino-rider T-Rex and a Kidizoom camera.

Flanderspigeonmurderer Sun 09-Oct-16 20:34:06

My five year old wants lego movie sets. The one he wants is £110 which I think is too much but I suspect my husband will overrule me. In his sticking I will put some chocolate, Star Wars bubble bath and a torch.

TellMeStraight Sun 09-Oct-16 22:37:58

Thanks Chris was wondering what on earth you were on about with the camelcamelcamel but have worked it out!

Some good ideas there Anne, thanks.

TellMeStraight Sun 09-Oct-16 22:41:42

What about Mecanno or similar? My DS loves technical stuff, seeing how things work, putting them together. Is nearly 5 too young?

SolomanDaisy Sun 09-Oct-16 22:52:11

So far Lego ninjago and nexo Knights, high tide from rescue bots, snap circuits,
a my little pony thing, some books, Crayola paint maker, glitter tattoo set. He wants a science set but I haven't been able to find anything right for his age yet. He's already got a microscope which he loves but he basically wants to play with chemicals.

bellsareringing Sun 09-Oct-16 22:56:49

A big boy car seat. Probably not actually, but its the only thing in life that he actually needs as he plays with all ds1 and ds2s toys.

Excellentstick Sun 09-Oct-16 23:08:46

I'm really confused by camelcamelcamel...

Ours will probably get paw patrol stuff and a bike

TellMeStraight Sun 09-Oct-16 23:11:48

excellent It's an Amazon price tracker website.

heymammy Sun 09-Oct-16 23:17:44

For DS's main present I'm debating between a decent sized keyboard on a stand, a pedal go kart or a Nintendo 2ds.

I'm railing against the 2ds as he wants to play on my iPad all the bloody time so I think adding another gadget into the mix is asking for trouble!

He'd love the go kart I think. I'm unsure about the keyboard as his dad has a piano at his house and the dc never seem that into it but ds especially loves music and twanging around on the ukulele.

Smaller gifts will be marble run, an electronic ball pitcher thing and some Lego. Tbh he has a house full of toys that he doesn't really play with so I'm over-thinking everything this year confused

MrsMoggy Mon 10-Oct-16 08:17:56

On my 4 and a half year olds list:

Kiddizoom camera and watch
Bunchems
A toy microphone and guitar set
Some orchard toy games and board games
Playmobil water park
Nadiya bake me a story book
Paw patrol air patroller
Nintendo Ds and games

SantaVQ Mon 10-Oct-16 08:36:56

DS is 4 in 2 weeks time. He got his present of a bike in the summer.

For Christmas he is getting a 1/3 share of Playmobil ark with extra animal sets, and a captain's wheel to attach to the fence post right by the sea. He spends hours playing pirates.

He will get various other little bits that he 'needs' for example new pj's, a pirate towel for swimming, and usual little bits in his stocking.

He has two big sisters and they all have big parties for birthdays.

Starduke Mon 10-Oct-16 10:01:28

My 5 year old recently got a load of star wars stuff for his birthday (light sabre, t-shirts, figurines, lego) which he loved.

For Christmas we haven't chosen a main present but he will get :
- Solar system placemat
- Solar system book
- Book on evolution
- Paw patrol mini vehicule
- Star wars transfers
- fart putty grin
- a name plate for his door
- socks with planets on

mmgirish Mon 10-Oct-16 14:41:20

Mine is getting marble run, Lego and walking talkies (or talkie walkies as they are called in our house)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now