Has anybody got their dc a wii u??

(23 Posts)
GizmoFrisby Sun 09-Oct-16 11:16:05

My ds would like a wii u for Christmas. Has anybody got one? Are they easy to use and suitable for a 7yo? He's already got iPad/ds/ etc so I'm thinking he would enjoy it?

queenc81 Sun 09-Oct-16 11:17:47

I got one last year for my ds5. He's only allowed Mario kart and yoshi wool world. Both are really good, I play the wii more than him though grin it's so much fun.

ShoppingBasket Sun 09-Oct-16 11:19:11

Interested as thinking of getting one for my DS, throw up between playstation/xbox/wiiu. I keep leaning towards wii as it is the only one that has mario and it seems you can play minecraft and skylanders on Wiiu

GizmoFrisby Sun 09-Oct-16 11:21:37

Yes on his list it says Xbox or wii u... and I'm leaning towards the wii u. However they are pretty pricey. I'm hoping they might be on offer in the Black Friday sales! Thanks ladies

queenc81 Sun 09-Oct-16 11:24:00

Yes wait until Black Friday, that's what I did and got the one with Mario kart already installed. X

GizmoFrisby Sun 09-Oct-16 11:27:26

Really how much did u get it for. The bundles I've seen are £250-£290 hmm

Lunar1 Sun 09-Oct-16 11:28:47

My 8&5 year old boys love their wii u, it was the family Christmas present last year. Get the one with mario Kart built in. They spend birthday money on amiibos and sky landers characters usually.

Lunar1 Sun 09-Oct-16 11:29:24

Mine with mario was £229 last year from John Lewis.

GizmoFrisby Sun 09-Oct-16 11:31:01

Fab I think this is the perfect present now. Great stuff

wonderingsoul Sun 09-Oct-16 13:07:48

Wii u is def more family friendly imo you can get pretty good deals at cex or game second hand but have a years warrenty with them too.

Also game do a warrenty for 20 you get accidently cover on it to. Theres no surcharge they just fix or replace as many times as it breaks deff worth it. I brought couple years ago may have gone up in price but still worth it for the accidental coverage

MissTakesOurMaid Sun 09-Oct-16 13:13:43

Wii u is family friendly, easy to use - and if you want to watch TV he can play using just the gamepad/controller grin the only downside is the console and controller have to be near eachother - so if the console is in the living room you can't take the controller to the bedroom etc to play it.

You can buy add ons called Amiibos and they're little figurines of characters in video games - Mario etc - which can be used in-game.

GizmoFrisby Sun 09-Oct-16 13:39:45

Oh can you not take the controller outside/away? It has to connect to console? Sorry I'm not very clued up with technical stuff. Game is a good idea. Never heard of cex? We don't live near a city. We live in the sticks hmm

ShoppingBasket Sun 09-Oct-16 13:47:00

You can order from Cex, we have in the past with laptops. The only thing with Cex is the Wii u come with no game and so by the time u buy Mario cart separate (2nd hand also) it is only about 30 more for a new one.

GizmoFrisby Sun 09-Oct-16 14:30:49

Ok I will have to have a good search. Thanks

MrsGWay Sun 09-Oct-16 20:04:24

We have a PS4 and a Wii U, the DC are 10 and 7. The Wii U is used much more than the PS4. Some of the multiplayers are better on the Wii U as both players have their own screen instead of a split screen. I do think nintendo games are much more child friendly.

Be aware that the console is going to be replaced within the next 6 months or so. I don't know if that means it will become cheaper or it will be in short supply.

SymphonyofShadows Mon 10-Oct-16 11:41:28

The new NX is going to be a lot different to the Wii U if the game site rumours are to be believed so it might run alongside the Wii U like the DS does. It's apparently going to have cartridges and be portable so its more like a cross between both current systems. DS2 is saving his Christmas and birthday money for one.

SymphonyofShadows Mon 10-Oct-16 15:07:42

Should have also said that we love our Wii U. The DC have the Mario games, the whole family play Mario Kart and I've been obsessed with Pikmin 3. We also use it to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime through.

GizmoFrisby Mon 10-Oct-16 15:08:36

Hmmm interesting. Do you think the new one will be out before Xmas or not? His bday is in march. Wonder if I should swap Xmas bday ideas? And wait if new one won't be out in time for Xmas hmm

SymphonyofShadows Mon 10-Oct-16 15:41:12

I think it's scheduled for the end of March. My DS's birthday is early March and he has decided that he wants the new console and will be putting his birthday and Christmas money towards it as there are conflicting reports of what it might cost.

I'd wait a bit and see if the Wii U comes down a lot on Black Friday as, by then, more info on the NX should be available. I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy the Wii U at the moment, as you could be kicking yourself later if there is a price crash. The other thing I would say is if you go for Wii u then get a USB stick with lots of memory as the system memory gets used up really quickly. I've ended up putting a 32gb one in ours as it kept running out of space.

Jetcatisback Mon 10-Oct-16 16:06:18

Ive just got a wii u with mario kart from toysrus for £239 - used their time to pay, maybe could have got it cheaper elsewhere but this works for me smile

GizmoFrisby Mon 10-Oct-16 16:39:12

Wow lots to think about. Will have to have a word with ds and see what he wants to do.

Jet what is time to pay??

Jetcatisback Mon 10-Oct-16 17:49:25

It's like old fashioned layaway - put down 20% deposit, pay another amount (think 30%) four weeks later, then the final amount by 15 Dec. there is a £5 admin fee, but as I say, it works for me for various reasons. Just the stocking fillers to get now

GizmoFrisby Mon 10-Oct-16 18:17:53

Yes that's quite good. I save all year for park vouchers an I think I can use them in toys r us. Il check. I think il go for the wii u. I might nip in to game in town tomorrrow and have a chat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now