Talk

Advanced search

Real Christmas Trees

(7 Posts)
Rubberduck2 Fri 07-Oct-16 08:57:34

I am a real tree virgin so have no idea about real trees.

My due date for this baby is the 25th November so im wondering if I am best off waiting until the first week in December or can I get one before the 25th November?

I know it's a stupid question really, but I just want to be organised with xmas decs up before I have the baby (presuming it doesn't make an early appearance). I have a (somewhat unusual for me) need to be organised with it all. DD1 is 10 so it's important to me we have a really special xmas. Plus if I had my way we would have the decorations up now smile

Also is there a "type" we should be getting? I want one that smells fantastic.

Sorry it's such a boring post!!

Pengweng Fri 07-Oct-16 09:07:45

I don't get a real tree as i'm allergic to the bloody sap and end up covered in hives but when my parents had one i remember getting it the week before christmas as otherwise it is half dead by christmas and dropping needles everywhere.

I would either wait until after the baby is here and get people to help you (if you have help nearby) or leave the real tree until next year and put your fake tree up before baby gets here.

Congratulations x

Pengweng Fri 07-Oct-16 09:08:39

Oh unless you can get a real tree in a pot which you can then water so it lasts longer. They tend to be a lot smaller though and really heavy!

Notso Fri 07-Oct-16 09:28:35

I wouldn't get one in November, unless you maybe got one in a pot and kept it outside until mid December.
The last few years we have got one from IKEA when their offer is on. It's around the second week in December I think.

ShowMeTheElf Fri 07-Oct-16 09:40:10

We have a real tree. We buy a cut and drilled one in the second week in December, keep it in the garage in a bucket of water for three days before moving into the house around the 10th. We always buy a low drop tree, so a nordmann, a frazer fir or a pine.
Water it every day and it will lose hardly any needles before 12th night.

But.......the ones that smell really amazing are spruce and the less it drops needles the less it will smell. (One year I even put a pine scent air freshener under the tree as it smelt of nothing). If the lovely smell is your main criterion get a spruce 10 days before Christmas and accept it will drop.

The different varieties are different shapes so you need to choose based on the space you have available. Good hunting! The choosing of the tree is a really bit tradition in our house!

Rubberduck2 Fri 07-Oct-16 17:10:56

Ah fantastic, thank you very much! I'm really quite excited about this Christmas!!

Dionysuss Sat 08-Oct-16 23:28:23

We usually get a small potted one on December 1st. Well watered they should look good until the New Year with minimal needle dropping. We have never managed to keep one alive to use again the following year,( we've tried planting, keeping it in the pot, bigger pot, all without luck) but we hope.

Last year we got a chopped down one, kept it in the garden with outdoor lights in and brought it in the week before Christmas Day. Dh loved it, he thinks size matters, I thought it dropped loads and looked a bit brown.

This year we are going pot grown again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now