Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Turkey alternative

(25 Posts)
FledglingFTB Wed 05-Oct-16 19:04:03

I'm guessing this may have been asked before. But, I fancy something different.

I don't want to annoy people who like a traditional turkey either. I've been searching online and found lots of recipes. But what I really want to know is what people have actually cooked as an alternative to turkey and would recommend, even if it's just a cooking method or seasoning.

Pestilence13610 Wed 05-Oct-16 19:07:44

Goose, big rib of beef, halibut, salmon.
Goose is the traditional one.
We had cauliflower curry one year, kids rate it as best christmas ever.

Artandco Wed 05-Oct-16 19:08:14

We do beef and goose usually instead

AuntieStella Wed 05-Oct-16 19:10:16

MiL does goose, but I'm afraid I don't know anything about how she cooks it.

The year I was hosting pescatarians, I did salmon en croute.

iklboo Wed 05-Oct-16 19:10:39

Four bird roast
Venison
Beef
Goose

These days we go out for a curry grin

LuckySantangelo1 Wed 05-Oct-16 19:12:38

I think my favourite Xmas meal was beef Wellington. We've also had roast pork with mushroom stuffing, roast goose and guineafowl. Wasn't keen on the goose.

FledglingFTB Wed 05-Oct-16 19:13:08

Cauliflower curry Pestilence shock
Sounds delish but I think I'd be in the doghouse.

SweetChickadee Wed 05-Oct-16 19:15:10

DH and I did goose one year, we were a bit meh, to be honest

OTOH a big juicy beef rib roast - much better grin

FledglingFTB Wed 05-Oct-16 19:27:25

There's a beef fillet, horseradish and prosciutto recipe on the BBC website that is making me drool grin

Pestilence13610 Wed 05-Oct-16 19:30:14

We did do a full on Czech traditional christmas eve meal and hosted 16 family for another full on meal on boxing day. Hence deciding to have a very laid back chistmas day.
You could do carp, it is nice.

GlowWine Wed 05-Oct-16 20:10:44

Goose: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/76606/christmas-goose-with-root-veg-sticky-pears-and-bra
Minus the bramble pears smile
This is the version I serve up to my in-laws who were 100% traditional turkey people, and it's gone down well for several years

Kittykatmacbill Wed 05-Oct-16 20:34:24

We always have roast beef, slightly rare... mmm. Except the year I was pregnant then we had a distinctly meh multi bird roast.

Linpinfinwin Wed 05-Oct-16 20:45:53

We quite often have a leg of lamb. It's my favourite and it's too expensive for everyday, so in my book it's perfect for christmas! Other years we have beef because it's DH's favourite.

Venison can be good for a special occasion if everyone likes it, but I'm not keen personally.

yellowsun Wed 05-Oct-16 20:55:24

We are doing beef this year. Yum!

FledglingFTB Wed 05-Oct-16 20:58:09

Ooh, leg of lamb limpin not heard of that. I think I'd be worried I'd overcook it confused. How do you do it, does it need closely watching?

Linpinfinwin Wed 05-Oct-16 21:17:11

It's just roasted! We just do the x mins per pound plus x mins as calculated on the packet. It was a bit raw one year (think our old oven was rubbish) but it's been fine since.

You can spike some rosemary into it, serve with mint sauce. My mum used to serve it with apricot stuffing, which works well, but tbh simple works for me.

Longlost10 Wed 05-Oct-16 21:20:35

fish, or pork.

The only traditional christmas turkeys I have ever had have been cooked for us by Muslim or Hindu hosts!

GaryGilmoresEyes Wed 05-Oct-16 21:22:45

Leg of lamb in the slow cooker on low from Christmas Eve. No oil, just turned in its own juices and rosemary and garlic. Was amazing.

sonlypuppyfat Wed 05-Oct-16 21:23:54

We had a capon last year it was gorgeous

FledglingFTB Wed 05-Oct-16 21:51:46

Had to google that sapon blush

FledglingFTB Wed 05-Oct-16 21:52:23

Had to google that sapon blush

SymphonyofShadows Fri 07-Oct-16 10:25:36

I always do beef on Christmas day with port and red wine gravy (for the grown ups, the DC have Bisto). I did fillet of beef last year and it was lovely. I also usually cook one of those small turkey or chicken joints in the foil dish for anyone who insists on it. No one likes dried fruit either, so we have a baked cheesecake and ice cream.

Boxing Day is always caribbean pork that has been marinating in rum and spices since Christmas Eve.

girlywhirly Fri 07-Oct-16 14:21:06

We have a really big free-range chicken, between 5 and 7 pounds in weight. They have a bit more fat which naturally bastes them during roasting. The flavour is amazing and it is very moist meat, also very forgiving if the meal is delayed for some reason. Turkey is easy to overlook and gets dry.

AvDemeisen Fri 07-Oct-16 16:48:21

The last few years it's been gammon. Simmered for a few hours, depending how big, on Christmas Eve, and then glazed with mustard and honey and studded with cloves and chucked in the oven for 40 minster or so Christmas day. We have a side of smoked salmon too, which we open Christmas eve and have Christmas morning too. We're big leftovers fans, so I really over cook and we have a late afternoon meal, and then pick again for supper.

We usually have another roast boxing day too, thinking lamb this year. Last year was beef.

AnnieOnnieMouse Fri 07-Oct-16 18:35:03

We always have roast lamb. I get it from Morrisons, if I can, and get them to take the bone out and roll and tie the joint, so it cooks evenly and carves easily. It is cooked with rosemary and served with mint sauce, cranberry jelly and all the rest of a traditional Christmas meal. I say 'it is cooked' as the last few years dd has done it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now