Talk

Advanced search

Unusual gifts we give each oterh

(10 Posts)
00100001 Mon 03-Oct-16 16:11:29

so, we're a strange family - in our family it's perfectly acceptable to give each other things like boxes of cereal for Christmas.
For example, my favourite treat cereal is Cinnamon Grahams/Curiously Cinnamon. But they're expensive and I don't buy them. So my Mum will buy me a box for Christmas (wrapped up!)
My Nephew received an extra large jar of pickled gherkins (he absolutely loves gherkins)
My sister got Tea Towels from me one year.
And last year she bought me a new ironing board.

All these things are very gratefully received and enjoyed smile

And then there's the "joke" presents every year - my mum gets a cabbage (which once opened, gets delivered to the kitchen for dinner)
Dad gets a 'new' mobile phone (the same old broken one wrapped up each year - disguised as something else)
My sis gets an apple wrapped up,
These joke presents started as a joke, but now are tradition... [embrassed]

Are we alone?

ShesAStar Mon 03-Oct-16 18:36:26

You all sound fab! Christmas should be fun and full of daft traditions! My DM wraps us a giant marmite for my DB every year and a gentlemans relish for my DF, she says she does the gentlemans relish in the hope it might turn him into one if he eats it! We all try to get my mum's brother something ridiculous because he finds it funny (or is polite enough to pretend to). Last year I got him a clock made of pencils!

ShesAStar Mon 03-Oct-16 18:37:13

Wraps up not us!

NotCitrus Mon 03-Oct-16 19:09:21

We used to raid charity shops etc for silly-shaped presents, in revenge for my first Christmas where MIL presented me with what appeared to be a three-foot vibrating dildo. It was supposed to be some sort of exercise thing.

MIL won every year. Though the year she hit La Senza's sale was unintentionally hysterical.

We also have toys to play with at the table, like wind-up racehorses.

DonkeyOaty Mon 03-Oct-16 19:21:01

I used to buy my late father one teaspoon as a joke present. He was forever bemoaning the lack of teaspoons in the cutlery drawer. Fond memories of slipping one in a shoe box or kitchen towel tube and wrapping that to disguise content in a mwa haha way grin

troubleinstore Mon 03-Oct-16 19:37:31

BIL supports a footie team that have blue shirts... I managed to get him some Manchester United Pasta in a tin ! Every year I get him a joke present to do with a team he doesn't support!

00100001 Mon 03-Oct-16 20:16:30

You are all awesome people envy

00100001 Mon 03-Oct-16 20:16:48

That was supposed to begrin

Clarion Mon 03-Oct-16 23:49:08

We used to buy one another 'wonderful' (tacky) joke gifts. We always pretend to be thrilled with them. One year my brother received a really tacky poor quality snow globe with dolphins inside. I received an ash tray (I don't smoke) adorned with a large penis!

My mum used to nag is as children to eat things with vitamins in so one year we wrapped up a bumper jar of vitamin tablets for her!

wobblywonderwoman Tue 04-Oct-16 00:21:11

My brother has a silly joke on that every year he doesn't wrap his presents. He waits for all of us to unwrap, takes the s raps of paper into the hall and selotapes them up like scruffy messes. Year on year ... Ta da. To be fair he buys nice presents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now