DH and time off

(10 Posts)
Captainladder Wed 28-Sep-16 12:32:48

Is anyone able to help me out?! I asked DH to take some time off over christmas (the 21st till after work days start again which I think is the following weds?). I wanted him to do it to have some family time, we have 2 sons 8 and 5. He says he doesnt want to take the time off just to sit around doing nothing... (!) I suggested we could do some things with the kids... but I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do around chirstmas as we havent had a christmas here for 3 years. Any suggestions? What do you lot like to get up to in the run up to christmas?

StrawberrytallCake Wed 28-Sep-16 12:35:03

Visit Father Christmas at a grotto
Go to a Christmas market
Go and watch a show
Do the Christmas presents together
Get a tree
Make stuff like mince pies and sausage rolls for the freezer together.
Watch elf and eat chocolates

Stillunexpected Wed 28-Sep-16 12:44:42

Go to a carol service
Play board games
He takes the boys shopping to buy you a Christmas present and wrap it
Do crafty stuff like make cards or decs for the tree

Chocolatekeepsmesane Wed 28-Sep-16 12:51:46

Go to a panto,
Long walks
Bike rides
Santa grotto

What would your dc like to do as a family? Mine love football at the park or turning the lounge into a cinema for example.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 28-Sep-16 12:52:30

who made you Entertainment Officer?

I'd be hugely peeved at his attitude tbh....is he normally so detached?

eurochick Wed 28-Sep-16 12:54:01

Panto
Buying and decorating tree
Delivering pressies and visiting friends and family
Most local attractions will have Xmas themed events. E.g. Our local garden centre gets reindeer!

Captainladder Wed 28-Sep-16 13:20:42

thank you all for the suggestions. would love to do a panto.... tree buying great idea too... was going to have one earlier but maybe more fun leaving it till later in the month... TondelayaDellaVentamiglia I think its a bit of a knee jerk reation for him. He's not great at planning, we are both a bit dithery... He doesnt do much deciding but the upside to that is that I generally get to make most of the decisions, and I'm a bit bossy.occasionally he feels like he needs to make some decisions! i am a bit miffed though that he seems to feel like its ok for me to be at home "doing nothing" . Not coming accross particularly well but he really is lovely.

flapjackfairy Wed 28-Sep-16 15:07:43

No christmas for 3yrs?!?

Captainladder Wed 28-Sep-16 15:51:31

flapjackfairy we have had Christmas but abroad!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 28-Sep-16 22:12:09

Mine are lazy teens, my DS would love to lard about doing nothing, DD would go shopping fgrin

But when they were little:

there's a visitor centre, nice walks, lake, geese, deer (we used to go on Christmas Eve) a little teashop.
Put on wellies,gloves,warm coats. Take a bag for all the treasures they collect

we went to London, counted the Hamleys bags on Regent St.
Food at McD (High life eh?)

Cinema (DH used to take them while I went to Sainsburys in peace)

Take the DC out on their own to buy a present for their sibling

Make cakes, chocolate crispie cakes, cookies

(I miss the years with little DC now. )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now