Talk

Advanced search

Space Rocket!

(24 Posts)
Igottastartthinkingbee Tue 27-Sep-16 21:42:45

Can anyone recommend a toy space rocket for a 4 year old?

The Wow toys one looks to young and the Playmobil one is for 6 years+. I keep looking at the Happyland one but think it maybe a smidge young for him. DS will be bang on 4.5yrs at Christmas. Am I missing any other ones?

DramaInPyjamas Tue 27-Sep-16 21:54:03

I don't know your budget.. if you are after something a bit cheaper then these could be pricey, but look age appropriate for a 4.5 yo

HungryHorace Tue 27-Sep-16 21:57:04

How about this one: direct.asda.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-ASDA-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=000757418

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 28-Sep-16 12:18:19

Thanks drama but they're a bit pricey. I hoping for something under £50. Plus I think he'd like a rocket he can hold and fly around himself rather than a large model.

I have found an imaginext space shuttle but it's been discontinued sad and the newer version doesn't really look like a rocket, its more like a Star Wars spaceship (which DS will have no idea about!).

Does anyone have the Happyland one already? Is it any good?

VelvetGreen Wed 28-Sep-16 12:42:23

Ds had the Happyland one when he was 3. It was one of his most played with toys, and he still likes it now at 5. It is pretty robust, does a countdown with lights - Ds's favourite bit is that it has a loo on board! That said, if i was to buy one now i would go for the Playmobil one - at 4.5 he'd get more out of it longer term. The Happyland one is quite clunky in comparison - like the difference between duplo and lego.

starlight36 Wed 28-Sep-16 13:06:09

We have the Happyland one too - initially bought for DS when he was 2. He still plays with it lots (he is nearly 4) and I noticed the reception classes in my daughter's school still had them as toys for the 4-5 year olds to play with. I agree that the Playmobil might be a better long term buy. You would probably initially need to put away quite a bit of the smaller bits. DD had a Playmobil dollhouse aged 4 and there were tiny pieces of cutlery and toothbrushes which I kept to one side. She was delighted to have new things to play with when we brought them out at a later date. You would probably also need to construct it yourselves to give to him ready made as although not difficult to make Playmobil toys come in many pieces and it can take a while to construct them.

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 28-Sep-16 21:39:14

Bump for the evening crowd!

winewolfhowls Thu 29-Sep-16 22:01:05

We are going to buy the playmobil space shuttle with lights for ds who is just three. It doesn't seem to have as many bits as the big rocket or be as large. We have the happyland rocket from a charity shop and he still plays with it, but it is quite large.

Soubriquet Thu 29-Sep-16 22:03:25

Not quite a rocket but what about this?

toot toot space station

winewolfhowls Thu 29-Sep-16 22:06:35

If you search for space shuttle instead of rocket there are some good looking toys like a lego city one

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Thu 29-Sep-16 23:02:31

I've just bought the playmobil one for my almost 3 year old. If you read Amazon reviews lots of younger children have loved it and I think it will last so much longer.

Sgoinneal Fri 30-Sep-16 10:00:55

My ds is three and we are going with playmobil shuttle too - you can remove any small bits you're worried about. playmobil 123 do a rocket but it is very simple indeed

ALemonyPea Fri 30-Sep-16 10:02:47

Imaginext space rocket

Darwinisafish Fri 30-Sep-16 10:18:39

We used to have this Peppa Pig one.

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/toys/peppa-pig-spaceship-explorer-set/0094169

BikeRunSki Fri 30-Sep-16 10:22:53

We got the Happyland one for DS when he was 18months old. He's 8 now and still plays with it. It's one of our most played with toys. Highly recommended.

disneyprincesswannabe Fri 30-Sep-16 12:58:21

We have a similar one to the happyland one from Sainsbury's. ds2 who is 4 still plays with it and enjoys it but I wouldn't buy it for him at this age now. Imaginext one looks good. I might actually buy that one too

HopperBusTicket Fri 30-Sep-16 13:01:32

Our son got the Playmobil City space rocket when he was 5 and loved it. It does have lots of small parts though. Lego do a space shuttle that's nice and a more manageable size for zooming found the house and comes with some cool astronaut minifigures.

HopperBusTicket Fri 30-Sep-16 13:03:39

This is the Lego space shuttle we have and it's only £15 from Tesco. Bargain.

www.tesco.com/direct/lego-city-space-utility-shuttle-60078/465-7111.prd?skuId=465-7111&pageLevel=sku&sc_cmp=ppc_sh-_-sh-_-tesco-_-465-7111&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmri_BRCZpaHkuIH75_IBEiQAIG0rIQDK9sxw2V1gLKs9R-pahusm6w1-ZAAmu5w-HB5rsNcaAmck8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&source=others

SpringerS Fri 30-Sep-16 21:25:41

I've gotten the Imaginext one for DS' 4th birthday in a few weeks. It's great as there are a lot of matching sets, aliens, space bases, moon rovers, etc, so it can build into a collection. And it's compatible with all his other Imaginext sets, like DC, Power Rangers, Dino Riders, etc. You can get the newer version on Amazon but as we are ok with secondhand for main gifts we got the older version of the rocket, which is more impressive imo, as part of a bundle on ebay for quite a bit less.

sarahplustwo Fri 30-Sep-16 22:13:41

My son got his Playmobil Space station for his 4th birthday and LOVES it. He wants the shuttle for Christmas now. I'd really recommend it and think it's fine for that age range. Happy shopping!

Yeeyeelovesraaraa Fri 30-Sep-16 22:50:32

I'd say happyland will have limited play value at 4 years old. Playmobil is fab & fine for that age - if you're not keen on the little pieces you can pop them away for when he's older. However - as others have said, it can take a while to build so may be worth doing that the night before, and the sets we have do come apart quite easily so can be a bit frustrating sometimes.

I'd go with imaginext - especially if you can bag a bundle on ebay. Its really robust & usually has lots of cool interactive features like disc shooters etc.

Igottastartthinkingbee Sat 01-Oct-16 09:20:01

Thanks for all the advice! Off to eBay now, hadn't occurred to me to buy from there. The old imaginext model looks the best to me but I may go with Playmobil.

Misty9 Sat 01-Oct-16 23:38:59

Ds just got the playmobil rocket and shuttle for his 5th birthday - and he's a young five I'd say. He loves it and not too many small bits imo. I got the rocket on Amazon ages ago when a cheap deal came up - £25 approx I think. He does also love the imaginext one at playgroup but loves baby toys in general!

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 05-Oct-16 19:10:10

I've gone back the other way now - I'm leaning towards the Happyland one. DS announced the other day that he'd like his space man to have a place to sit and eat his dinner! And the happyland one has that so I think I'll go with it. He's quite a young 4 in that he happily plays with baby toys still (he has a younger sibling). He has plenty of time to get a more grown up looking space rocket!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now