Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Cake for beginners

(10 Posts)
MeMyElfandI Tue 27-Sep-16 20:21:50

My 12 DD year has really taken to baking and would like to make a Christmas cake this year. I haven't made one for years and don't think she would like a rich heavy fruit cake.

Has anyone got a good recipe for one she could make and ideas on icing and decorating? Needs to be quite robust as will have to survive a 4 hr car journey to her Grand parents. Thanks.

BlueGirl1982 Tue 27-Sep-16 20:31:47

I always use the delia recipe, I make at least two or three per year and it's never let me down. It's a nice straightforward recipe. The only changes I make are no nuts due to family allergies and I feed mine with spiced rum rather than brandy.

Hope this helps!

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Tue 27-Sep-16 20:37:24

The Delia classic one here too. I used to diss Delia, and one year made the abomination that is Nigella's pruney chocolatey Christmas cake (my advice-don't ) and since then only ever make Delia's.
Never fails. It's fab.

CoffeeMad18 Tue 27-Sep-16 20:40:42

THIS ONE IS VERY EASY
Can also be put into individual cup cake cases and makes about 20 of these if you prefer.
It has fantastic reviews and is a really lovely cake.

TheFallenMadonna Tue 27-Sep-16 20:41:42

The classic Delia is a rich heavy fruit cake though. In her Christmas book there is a recipe for a lighter fruit cake though. Probably on her website?

Callmecordelia Tue 27-Sep-16 20:45:59

I bought the kit from Waitrose. It was lots of fun, good value as I only make a fruit cake once a year, and there was no faffing. DD and I pretended to be on a cookery programme with our weighed out ingredients.

Cake tasted pretty good too.

jesterkat Tue 27-Sep-16 20:46:57

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/13381/fig-and-honey-christmas-cake

This is awesome, have made it for past 3 years. Its not too dark, keeps really well and I feed it with spiced rum alternated with jack Daniels honey.

CoffeeMad18 Tue 27-Sep-16 20:47:49

To ice it simply, I would use a star cutter and stick regal icing stars onto the iced cake using cooled boiled water or brandy and then place a silver ball in the centre of each one?

CoffeeMad18 Tue 27-Sep-16 20:53:59

Something like this....

MeMyElfandI Tue 27-Sep-16 21:04:38

Thank you for the suggestions. Had forgotten about Delia, maybe too rich for her but me and DH would enjoy it. To be honest I think she will enjoy the making and icing more than the eating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now