Talk

Advanced search

Tablet for 5 year old?!

(23 Posts)
tryhard Sun 25-Sep-16 09:09:55

This has been asked s thousand times I'm sure but I can't find a recent thread. DD1 plays on my old iPad so it's got all the cartoons I've bought from iTunes & CBeebies apps etc. I'm thinking of a tablet for Christmas but can't decide in the Amazon Fire tablet would be good for her, I've read mixed reviews? Also I'm guessing it would mean I'd need to buy all those cartoons again? We can't afford a new iPad so I'm looking at refurbished ones if we go down that route.

anyoldname76 Sun 25-Sep-16 09:15:27

i got my dc aged 7 and 4 amazon fire tablets last year when they were reduced to £28 in argos. theyre ok , loads of free games. they have parental controls on them aswell. one of them got smashed but the other is still going strong

MiaowTheCat Sun 25-Sep-16 09:16:56

Mine have Fires (3 and 4 year olds - limited use). I love the parental controls on them and the fact that they are pretty child proof in terms of them not being able to get at anything outside the offerings for their age band and no in-app stuff... but the amount of apps for them to choose from means that I do have to regularly clear up space on them as they fill it.

I think they work brilliantly if you're prepared to subscribe to the fire for kids content or buy the actual child branded one (mine just have bog standard ones - but they've proved they can look after them since they had my old knackered tablet before that).

tryhard Sun 25-Sep-16 09:29:36

I didn't know Argos sold them. So do you have to subscribe to Amazon Fire to get more apps and content? Would I be able to buy things like Charlie & Lola shows? They love the DC Superhero Girls app, stuff like that? I do like the parental control on the Kids Fire, time limits etc I can see would be great as she gets older and no in-app purchases is great cos that drives me mad with the Disney apps.

BikeRunSki Sun 25-Sep-16 09:37:16

Are there any other recommendations other than the Kindle Fire? My only hesitation is that DH has an iPad and DS has a Hudl, and I don't really want a third tablet using a third platform. Any Android recommendations?

Barbeasty Sun 25-Sep-16 12:20:17

Our two have reconditioned Samsung tablets. We have netflix on them and YouTube kids. Then the Google account is set to need a password to download stuff and certainly to spend money.

They like being able to chromecast stuff, and use the camera a fair bit too.

And of course, using things like the google account and netflix means that if the device had to be replaced for any reason it can all be moved across easily.

disneyprincesswannabe Sun 25-Sep-16 12:25:46

I would advise the fire and hack it so you can get google play to increase the variety of the apps.

BikeRunSki Sun 25-Sep-16 12:53:11

Where do you get reconditioned Samsungs?

How do I hack a Kindle to get Googleplay apps?

HermioneWeasley Sun 25-Sep-16 13:01:42

Place marking - I'm considering the kindle fire for my 6 year old

disneyprincesswannabe Sun 25-Sep-16 18:40:05

bike I have no idea but my dad has a fire and got google play installed on it. Said it was a bit of a faff but worth it. I guess google it?

Barbeasty Sun 25-Sep-16 21:18:27

We've got them in a shop called Cex, don't know if it's a national chain but they have stores around us. They give a 1 year guarantee, so it feels a bit more reliable than just buying one from ebay or simar.

Misty9 Sun 25-Sep-16 23:01:48

We've bought ds a tablet called an ittle for Xmas. It works with Google play apparently and has a protective cover etc. Haven't got it out to set it up yet but looks good and they donate to Tommy's charity too.

Misty9 Sun 25-Sep-16 23:03:08

www.amazon.co.uk/ittle-British-Google-Android-Bluetooth-PINK/dp/B010QMCS5G

Only1scoop Sun 25-Sep-16 23:07:39

We bought dd5 the kids fire tablet with 2 year no quibble warranty and a year of Amazon kids included.
Brilliant as a first tablet really child friendly and the Amazon kids has heaps of apps already on I was really surprised.
We had a bargain on one of those Black Friday deals with JL. Buy a memory card though or you can't store too much, think that was an extra 8 pounds

ChristmasSeacow Mon 26-Sep-16 08:28:35

Thanks for starting this OP, I have a similar question....

Like you I have purchased cartons from iTunes to play on an iPad. Are there any non-Apple tablet I can buy and synchronise with my iTunes to load up those already-purchased cartoons without buying them again?

DS has autism so doesn't understand when things 'disappear' when there is no wifi so I tend to buy them and download them. Memory space on the iPad is the main issue, hence am considering something else for him so I can reclaim My iPad!

ChristmasSeacow Mon 26-Sep-16 08:30:00

And I have spent quite a bit on cartoons so really don't want to have to purchase again!

Finlaggan Mon 26-Sep-16 08:41:06

We have tesco hudls for 7&4 year old. They're very good. We have Netflix, CBeebies & a few games. DD got sumdog which she was using at school. I also downloaded some movies for travelling earlier in the year. Kids love them, we've had them for a year and so far no issues.

Ilovenannyplum Mon 26-Sep-16 08:46:22

DS has the kids fire tablet, it's got a big protective case and they will replace it with no questions so long as it's within 2years I believe.
No problems so far but we did buy a memory card so that we could download films onto it for him

BikeRunSki Mon 26-Sep-16 09:04:10

Finlaggen They don't make Hudls anymore. DS's has been great, I'd buy a new one if I could. (Although new, not reconditioned as I have seen much discussion of an issue about the screen cracking on the Hudl2).

Humidseptember Mon 26-Sep-16 13:47:41

for that age I would go for samsung or something similar, we got young fire - and its great for toddler needs - but for older a samsung, we got it in tesco sale before xmas last year. its been great, looks great...and will grow with her.

Finlaggan Mon 26-Sep-16 16:22:00

Oh I didn't know that! It's hudl2 we have fingers crossed the screens survive. That's a shame they're really good tablets too...

lionsleepstonight Mon 26-Sep-16 21:24:20

I don't think videos bought on the i store can be viewed on another platform. Have you thought of getting a refurbished I pad. Or looking for a black Friday deal? Other option could be getting one via Very and splitting the cost over 3 months interest free?

ChristmasSeacow Mon 26-Sep-16 22:27:04

Thanks lions, I thought not. It's not really the absolute cost that is the issue - we could stretch to an iPad, it just seems disproportionate for a 4-yr old! And in particular we'd have to go for one with a big memory (for reasons above) so that does make it very expensive. I might just manage with the one we have got the moment and think again next year.

He doesn't need one of his own (in fact at his age I wouldn't really want him to be aware of it), it's more that I want the use of mine back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now